'15 jetta vs. '15 golf

g3a3a1

TDI
None
Looking at getting my first TDI and first Volkswagen. I am going for maximum MPG, and I know the Golf has the advantage there. However just how much of an advantage is it? I didn’t want to use EPA estimates because I know they are already skewed so I would like a real world estimate. As far as I know the '15 jetta is the first jetta to use Urea and the numbers out there for the '15's are fairly slim.

Most of my dealers are giving me numbers alot cheaper on the jetta than the golf which is one reason I am debating the jetta. I have test driven both and from a drivers standpoint they are very similar IMO.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Get the one you like better. The FE between the two cars is probably going to be pretty similar. The Jetta's fuel tank appears to be 1.3 gallons larger than the Golf (according to VW's site) if range matters.

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
I think they are pretty much the same car, just different body styles, so I don't think there would be a sizable difference in fuel efficiency.

For whatever reason, the Golf's tend to be rarer than the Jetta's (in the U.S. anyway) - this may help resale value. I do kinda like the Golf - but I don't think I'd pay up for one.

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
Personally, I would get the Jetta just because you can walk out with a better deal. I have been noticing the Jetta market has better offers then the golf. Not quite sure why.

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
It really doesn't make enough of a difference in fuel economy to decide between the two. Pick your preferred car, and drive it so you get the mileage you'd like.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Hatchbacks are super handy. And in my area, they are also harder to find in the used market, making them more coveted and therefore would/should fetch more in the used market, hence, better resale. Jetta's are dime a dozen if you ask me. I wanted another golf for my winter car, but couldn't find one I liked, and settled for a jetta after 3.5 months of looking. Took me 2 months last year to fetch my retarded golf.

And as the others say... pick the one YOU like. YOU'RE paying the bill.

Bought a new car once, an 03 beetle. Owned 16 cars to date. Not that I regretted it, but I wouldn't buy a new car again. 3 year old car is BEST bang for the buck. Cars are money pits. They keep sucking you dry.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
And WHAT is the price difference between the golf and jetta anyways? Can't be that big a difference, and why would there be anyways? Aren't they the "same"? Read the wagon has it's own platform now... for chassis parts at least.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golf/Sportwagen/Audi A3/GTI are all on VW's new modular platform, and I expect the next gen Passat here will be based on that platform as well. The current Jetta is based on an older platform.

bimmerdude

TDI
2015 Golf Tdi SEL, 2012 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta Sportwagon TDi, 2005 GLI 1.8T, 1991 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
I just turned in a 2012 Jetta for a 2015 Golf SEL. My reasons were practical.. we are now empty nesters so theres only me and the wife. The Golf fits our needs better.. But having had a Sportwagon and a Jetta the 2015 is a different market. The Golf is the new platform and the SEL is like driving a fine european Diesel. Even has the paddle shifters with no delayed shift!!!! The new 2015 Jetta gets a 1mpg better highway rating because of improved aerodynamics.. it has the grill shutters that close at high speed... I suspect 45-50mph.. the Golf doesn't have that.. the engine is the same.. the weight is also close.. with the golf a little lighter.. the new Golf Chassis is very tight.. reminds me of my BMW.. I would break it down this way.. if you want a tight small car to zip around in.. Golf.. If you are a long trip person most of the time.. the Jetta will feel better on frequent long trips.. of course I am also referring to the SEL versions that have all the advantages.. the lower end models probably provide little difference in comfort or driving experience.. (my Opinion of course).

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
After doing some more research, the Jetta now has independent rear suspension vs golf still having the torsion beam. I maybe in the market for the 2015 model myself soon, but it would be a hard choice picking which model, but I would def go with the dsg as mentioned above having a no delayed shift and easier to commute around my area without having the press a pedal frequently.

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I bought a 2015 Jetta and have been happily driving it for the last 3 weeks. I have so far used 1 tank of diesel and gotten 720km (~7.5l/100km | 31mpg) pretty much all city driving.

I haven't taken it on the highway enough to get really high mileage, but the times I have the consumption has gone down as low as 5.5 l/100km | 45mpg. I am also not trying to drive to maximize the mileage, I have been following the break in procedure but also I have been having fun with the engine/car. I haven't had change to drive the golf but the handling on the jetta is superb and has plenty of "go".

I have so far been happy with my choice, even though the it was partially made because the Jetta is less expensive. But that said, I think the best advise is what you were already given and that you need to pick the car you like the best.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Hatch = useful space, large things....
Trunk = hidden things you don't want to have to look at

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If I were in the market for a new model TDI; I would buy the Jetta hands down; and I am a Hatchback guy for life...

No way in the world I would trade my 2012 Golf in on a 2015 Golf; the new model feels like a downgrade to me...

glick

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Finally had a chance to take a decent highway run in my new Jetta. Round trip was 188km (116miles) and MFD stated fuel consumption at 5.2 l/100km (45mpg). The one way trip was 4.6 l/100 (51mpg). This was with speeds ranging from 120-140km/h (74-86 mph).

I know its a small amount of data and only partial tank, but I have never achieved anything even close to that with a gas engine.

(Also worth mentioning is the MFD was showing me a range of 920km after already traveling 60km of highway AND having done 2 days of city driving on that tank. I have no problem believing that this engine will give way more than the posted economy. Especially considering that I am NOT in any way driving to maximize fuel economy.)

Cincy_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SE TDI
Not to bring back to life an old dead thread but I am in the same thinking as this post. Trying to decide between the Golf SE VS the Jetta Sel or Connectivity model. Downside with Jetta is the 315 radio but that can be replaced. Cost is a factor for both and the Golf does have a smaller fuel tank.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My Jetta now has 4000 miles sweet car! When I filled her last week I put in 14.7 Gallons!
I wanted the Headlights! And not being a sound purist I like the 315 radio and fender

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Last weekend I put a large roll around tool box and the top chest that goes with it in my golf,can't do that with a jetta

cavymeister

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium
The difference in real world mileage is about 0.6 MPG in favor of the golf.

Fuelly 2015 Golf TDI said:
Based on data from 119 vehicles, 1,759 fuel-ups and 723,018 miles of driving, the 2015 Volkswagen Golf gets a combined average of 41.18 MPG with a 0.29 MPG margin of error.
Fuelly 2015 Jetta TDI said:
Based on data from 39 vehicles, 305 fuel-ups and 148,980 miles of driving, the 2015 Volkswagen Jetta gets a combined average of 40.58 MPG with a 0.69 MPG margin of error.

You can't go wrong with either one, and it comes down to what you'd like out of the car itself (hatch v/s sedan, style, etc).

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
After doing some more research, the Jetta now has independent rear suspension vs golf still having the torsion beam. I maybe in the market for the 2015 model myself soon, but it would be a hard choice picking which model, but I would def go with the dsg as mentioned above having a no delayed shift and easier to commute around my area without having the press a pedal frequently.
We currently have a MK4 BEW manual and MK5 BRM DSG.

I'd 100% NOT go with the DSG. Yes it's a bit more work to shift. The car always does exactly what you're wanting it to do. There are many instances where the DSG hesitates to figure out what it is that we're wanting of it.

Note, we have the Malone Stage 2 on the MK5 along with the DSG tune.

Also, if long term ownership is in mind, the DSG is expensive to fix anything and has very little aftermarket support compared to the manuals.