600 mile club for me!

BonjiB

TDI
1997 VW Jetta TDI
I accomplished this on my last tank AND the tank I'm on. 617 miles on the last tank and I'm at 619.7 right now on the current one. Low fuel light is on and I'll filler-up before heading home but it seems to consistently get that kind of mileage. My last calculated mileage was 45 mpg. Only had the car a little while, she's got 180k on her. I'm quite confident I can hit the 700 mile club next long road trip I take which will be sometime in the next few months. I don't know where the TDI has been my whole life. I'll never own another type of car I don't think - not as a daily driver anyways.

It's a 1997 Jetta named Gretchen. She's cute.

bugeye72

TDI
01 golf TDI 1.9NA diesel Vanagon 03 TDI Jetta wagon auto
If getting to 600 is even noteworthy to you, I'm guessing that you're not venting the tank and filling the filler neck up. Between the first time the pump shuts itself off and filled all the way up the filler neck means about 2 1/4 gallons for me. You should know that when people are getting over 700 plus, they are pushing the vent button in the filler neck to get extra fuel in there.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I had my 2nd 600 mile tank today. It was all in town driving (to work). I have a ventectomy and it took 15 gal to refill till it topped out at the top of the filler neck. 40 mpg on an '04 BEW w/dsg. My best MPG's has been 43.7 on hwy. driving.

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
If getting to 600 is even noteworthy to you, I'm guessing that you're not venting the tank and filling the filler neck up. Between the first time the pump shuts itself off and filled all the way up the filler neck means about 2 1/4 gallons for me. You should know that when people are getting over 700 plus, they are pushing the vent button in the filler neck to get extra fuel in there.
Can't filling up the fill neck cause issues?

VW_TDi_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf-S TDi with DSG
I would get 550-565 on a tank, after the vent mod & 520 nozzles the best I got was 629. I fill all the way to the top approx 15.5 gallons.

Nlens

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI
got to 623 on my first tank in my new to me 2010 golf tdi. i put about 150+ of city miles on this tank, so i am sure i'll hit 700 on my next tank. can't wait.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Drove Little Rock to the house 601.4 miles on 12.935 gallons - 46.4. 700 club's gonna be tough. In the 15,600 miles I've driven this car, I've noticed the average consumption on the dash is mighty optimistic. Is anybody else seeing that? Is it correctable?

ig109

Veteran Member
TDI
F
Ive done 632 on ours and ran out.. this was on a tank half highway half in town.. and with the EGR deleted and a CEL..

Waiting till tax time to get the Malone Stage 1.5 tune and see how it goes..

Im assuming that everyone on here has the vent-ectomy.. So I don't feel like the 600 club is too special.. I feel like there should be some guys in the 800 club lol..

bobs jetta

TDI
2006 jetta
how low is safe to go in winter?

I topped off at 1/4 tank today with 10.3 gallons at 502 miles.I would like to go till 600 miles, a week of driving. But i am afraid of getting to low in tank and causing running issues in the chicago winter. 06 jetta sedan. It has a 07 manual from factory so i think its a late 06.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Im assuming that everyone on here has the vent-ectomy.. So I don't feel like the 600 club is too special.. I feel like there should be some guys in the 800 club lol..
I don't know about the vent-ectomy. Is it applicable for a 2014 JSW?

Also, if the car runs out of fuel, are there problems such as having to prime it like older domestic diesels?

D_Squared

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2D 6M
I don't know about the vent-ectomy. Is it applicable for a 2014 JSW?

Also, if the car runs out of fuel, are there problems such as having to prime it like older domestic diesels?
To answer your first question about correcting the fuel economy overestimation, no I don't think anyone has gotten more accurate numbers. Fuelly is probably the best way which you already are using. I do not believe the ventectomy is available on the new CR TDIs such as ours. Last, DO NOT run your JSW out of fuel. it can cause very expensive damage to the fuel system. Getting higher mileage just takes more work with the newer cars. My best tank thus far is 693mi and I don't have a chance until spring to go for 700 due to winter diesel.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
D[FONT=&quot]², thanks for your reply. I thought running a diesel out of fuel was a big no-no but I don't trust the gauge and fuel economy numbers. Hope I get a better feel for the gauge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A 693 mile run is pretty stout and a long ways off for me. I had the tires aired to 50 and ran the speed limit up to 70. Now, if I ran at 60-65, I'd be a lot closer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] And forget about running a 600 mile tank in town. 475 is pushing it hard. Those earlier diesels are kicking my ass in Eco 101.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Memphis and Santa Fe are 725 mile runs and, one day, I'll figure out a way to make it without stopping for fuel.
[/FONT]

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
I barely hit 600 and I think the cat delete did make a MPG difference,
I'll post how much I fill up later on...

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I get too nervous when the light comes on usually between 475 and 525 miles....i think i'm going to push it to see if I can make 550, but I don't want to empty it.