DSG: "D" or Shift mode?

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Any feedback on which mode squeezes a few extra MPG's out of the DSG?

Drive
Or
Shift mode

Still can't break the 700 mile mark...

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Just plain drive D. S is not for shift it is sport mode and will hold lower gears longer and use more fuel. Also keep your right foot out of it! Maybe you will make the 800 mile mark. Much of that has to do with how you drive............aggressive or relaxed.

Last edited:

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
Not the s mode,

Using the + - shift mode to change gears faster...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Drive will give you the best fuel economy. 700 mile tanks isn't bad for 70+ MPH driving.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
i almost never kick it over into the manual shift mode. And I don't use the Sport mode ever either. Whenever I accidentally put it into S mode, and I hear my car revving up, I mistakenly think it's broken.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I slide over to manual mode frequently to hold a lower gear than I want. Like accelerating to 40mph in D, then slide over when in 5th gear. I don't usually want 6th gear at 40mph like D mode prefers. Has nothing to do with fuel economy.

700 miles at 40mpg is 17.5 gallons used. You have had a few tanks that you could have made it already. Besides special trips, you fill up about every 2 weeks and are spending $120 a month on fuel. What if you were able to save another $10 a month while getting 45mpg? Bah, I just drive to enjoy it. Changing my driving style to save $20 a month is not worth my pleasure.

psyphy

TDI
2014 Touareg Sport
I haven't tested it RE mileage, but I would agree that generally the computer will do better than me. I shift manually for the hills. The computer wants to upshift me to 4th going up a hill at 25 or 30. Similarly, down hill I often shift manually to get the braking. It will have me in 5th or 6th going down hill at 35 & there's no engine braking.

F5air

TDI
Jetta mk6 tdi
After i installed my gli steering wheel with shift paddle i have seen more mpg. I dont use to down shift just to shift gear +. My shift point is 1800 rpms.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I haven't found the Tiptronic gate or the Sport ("S") positions to be all that useful. I will slide the lever over to the right to prevent downshifts when I'm cruising, especially with hills. This engine has plenty of guts (helped by the turbo, of course) to power our car with a heavy load right up the 4-mile 6% grade going up the Cumberland Plateau at Monteagle. Also very handy on two-lane roads with lots of quick up-and-down grades. No loss of speed, never a downshift.
Sport may be useful to someone, but not to us.

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
On our car, in D mode, at 5th gear, 1,200 rpm, flat surface, the DSG will not downshift during light acceleration and engine will lug violently, when temperatures is around 10-15 C. The DSG needs even more accelerator input before it will downshift.

(In these situations, cars ahead were accelerating so slowly that increasing throttle to cause a downshift is not possible).

Last edited: