My AHU Corrado VNT GT1749va Turbo Build Thread

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've racked up over 300k miles between two different ALH engines with mk4 mafs and only had one fail. For $120 I can buy a pierburg.

I remember when mk4 alh mafs used to fail every day but that is no longer the case.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I got my Head back from franko6 and bolted up some of the goodies:

I have some pictures of it test fitted in the car with my IC pipes, inlet and dowpipe fitted that I'll post later this evening. Overall I'm thrilled with the fitment. I'll have to make a minor modification for my intercooler pipe going from the turbo to IC pipe because of the turbo's new location and to allow for room for an EGR pipe ;)

Last edited:

vw_nut

Veteran Member
TDI
, 1981 VW pickup TDI Conversion, , 2000 Golf TDI,1985 Cabriolet 16V,2006 jetta
Very Nice Frank, I cant wait to hear how it performs, I just got my SDI Intake from Ryan, I am gonna blast it and put it on......

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm going to let my car determine if and when I'll upgrade to an 11mm pump. If my car is smokey with my current combo of PP764 and this turbo then I'll probably avoid the 11mm pump. If I need more fuel then it will be in the cards. I'd really like to wait until my current pump starts leaking or has other issues.

From what I've read 175whp might be a little optimistic for this turbo even with an 11mm pump. At that 175+whp I think rods might be required and I really don't want to spend that type of money.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just the one below. Its not the biggest or best but for what I paid its perfect and it will allow me to get the car on the road until I can drive to somebody who can fabricate me a turbo back stainless setup. For now it will keep the wife off my back time and $$$ wise.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
So I presume the AFN manifold is required for this turbo to work? I am wondering what the difference between the AFN and BHW manifolds are. Blown k03 opens up ideas for a little different setup for me!

I really like what I see here, cant wait to see it finished.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think my manifold might be the same as a BHW because mine has the EGT probe hole near the turbo flange. The part number that is cast into it doesn't come up in ETKA.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
Well, i guess that opens up options on manifolds if thats the case, but AFN oil lines will still have to be sourced. What did those run you price wise?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think I spent about $200 USD for the oil lines, turbo inlet pipe and a dinner for my friends in europe that shipped the parts USPS.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
parts place inc on ebay has the oil return line for $60. It looks identical to mine. except the return port is square instead of rounded.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
That's not bad at all. I'm gonn have to start sourcing parts. Thanks for your help. Ill try not to ask too many questions. I know you get hounded with them a lot. Haha.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't mind you asking questions about this, especially since I'm not done and you might bring up something I haven't thought of.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
parts place inc on ebay has the oil return line for $60. It looks identical to mine. except the return port is square instead of rounded.
I tried looking for it with no luck, you mind linking it?

Edit: Spoke too soon. I found it. They list it as VW part# 028145736T. It does look identical besides the port shape.

I presume the regular A4 vnt oil line wouldnt work basically for length issues? A 1749VB(or larger of course) install into an AHU/1Z seems to be able to make use of the stock A4 oil return line. Of course with the newer style fitting for the block.

Only option for the oil suppy line seems to be the above mentioned AFN line, or of course some sort of custom braided line.

Last edited:

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
On a second thought, how about a side by side comparison of the AFN oil feed line and the oem AHU line? Seems to me like with a couple carefully manipulated bends the AHU line could be used. Bad idea?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
If you guys need custom oil feed lines, my local hydraulic shop will crimp up a 35" long 1/4" SS braid over PTFE hose with ends for $25. The M10x1 and M12x1.5 to JIC adapters are about $7 ea. I put braided lines on every car I work on, I hate rigid lines haha.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
If you guys need custom oil feed lines, my local hydraulic shop will crimp up a 35" long 1/4" SS braid over PTFE hose with ends for $25. The M10x1 and M12x1.5 to JIC adapters are about $7 ea. I put braided lines on every car I work on, I hate rigid lines haha.
Problem solved for me, although im sure some prefer the oem hardline. Definitely interested.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
I got this today:

Looks identical to yours, just no egt hole. It is from an AFN.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Hmmm....I see a blank off plate in your future....;)

Nice...I wish I had the time and $ to play....Oh, wait, that's why I go fishing! Nevermind. :rolleyes:

Tony

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
On a second thought, how about a side by side comparison of the AFN oil feed line and the oem AHU line? Seems to me like with a couple carefully manipulated bends the AHU line could be used. Bad idea?
I just used an ALH line on my BHW/ALH VE hybrid with AHU mani and turbo...not much bending at all...but it's is apples/oranges....I'm sure you can still make it work

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think I have my AHU oil lines anymore. I have an old ALH oil line and its a lot different. I liked the idea of buy a new OEM oil line at this point in the engine's age because I imagine that rather soon all of these parts that haven't been used on production vehicles in almost 10 years will soon become NLA.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
well I know the fitting in the turbo is 10x1 mm...not sure about the fitting at the AHU filter housing....as matt suggested you could make a braided line...I made one for my caddy TD using a 3/16 braided (3 AN) and some fittings from fittingsandadapters.com

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Slow progress but I am moving in the correct direction for my finished goal.

I plan on getting a malone tune. In this tune I plan to get the dynamic EGR setup. I've found an EGR valve that will bolt up to the manifold that doesn't have the mk4 shut down flap. To top it off the egr valve is half the price of most mk4 egr valves. I had a friend weld up an EGR pipe that I modified. Granted it doesn't have a cooler but it should warm up a little faster then with a full EGR delete and not choke the manifold with carbon. I'm waiting for a friend to build an inlet flange.

This weekend I will begin modding my intercooler pipes. This will take longer then before as I don't have a truck to toss my friend's welding tank in the back of. I'll be taking two pieces of pipe with hash (alignment) marks on them to a friend each monday for the next two or three weeks until everything is welded up. Its a slow process but I'm in no rush. Plus the welder won't have problems tigging around my ugly mig spot welds.

Does anybody see any issue with the use of bolts for the EGR pipe into the exhaust manifold? What are the potential issues?

Last edited:

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
If you can get it together with the correct studs, do it. I don't see a problem with using bolts as long as you use some blue loctite and torque them properly...Plus you have the advantage of being able to inspect them after you drive it a bit, not like its a customers car that you have to worry about them loosening up on you. I imagine you used bolts because it made it easier to assemble since you are trying to seal two surfaces at once.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I use studs the assembly of parts requires that the EGR pipe gets installed 1st and then the EGR gets bolted to the intake manifold and bolt the EGR pipe to the EGR. Its a little cumbersome. I plan on using stainless hardware and red lock-tight unless somebody tells me that this could damage the threads on the exhaust manifold.

Oh and does anybody know where to get a roll of rubber gasket material? I know most places stock the paper stuff but for the EGR inlet flange I would like to use a rubbery material. The lip is a little too thin to machine an o-ring groove.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I think the studs and nuts *may* be better due to oxidation that may occur, you might have issues getting those bolts out after some time.

I don't know if loc-tite will do anything for you in this case - think of how hot that manifold gets.

As far as gaskets - check McMaster Carr maybe?

Why not use the metal gasket on the manifold and paper gasket like are normally used? I re-used my paper gasket and it leaked - I then smeared RTV on both sides of it and it hasn't had any issues.

Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I plan to use metal gaskets for each end of the EGR pipe. The rubber I want is for the inlet flange (not in picture) where it bolts to the EGR valve. I'm not a fan of RTV.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Ah yes, I totally agree with that. I was thinking the actual EGR tube, not the inlet to the manifold.

YGPM

Jon