Annoying Stuck bolt/Timing Belt B4

9PasCollinsat6

TDI
98 Jetta
So this morning i was trying to change the timing belt...and I ran into a ridiculously stuck bolt while trying to get the PS belt off. Its the 16mm one, its literally stuck so fast that the entire engine moves when I try to loosen it. I think I can get the belt off by forcing the PS back with a hammer, but id rather not.

Any suggestions besides taking a breaker bar to it?

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Autozone: PB Blaster. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Try your wrench again.

Tony

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Must be the bolt that adjusts the PS tension. I assume that the 13 mm bolt in the middle of it has been loosened?

Other than that, I can't think of any large bolts.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
is this the bolt with the gear on it?

Can you loosen it at all? If so, I thought we loosen it (not remove it), and turn it up or down to move the PS pump to remove the belt. It's not going either direction huh?

Yes PB Blaster is your friend.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Loosen the 13 mm head bolt first. The 16 mm head is the tensioner. The 13 locks the tensioner.
In the image above, A 13 mm wrench is used on the left and lower bolts, then a 16 mm wrench is used to pivot the pump. The bolt on the right of the image is the pivot axis.

9PasCollinsat6

TDI
98 Jetta
13's are both off. Its just the 16mm that is being stubborn. It is the bolt that when I loosen allows the PS pump to pivot and slip off the belt.

chittychittybangbang

Veteran Member
TDI
none
9PasCollinsat6 said:
BTW..is the VAGCOM tool absolutely neccessary for completing the belt change? I am a little short on cash atm....
If the car starts then no. But you should find someone who has a vagcom to adjust and check it later.

A tip on using PB Blaster, if you can at all get access to the backside of the threads, spray there as well as under the bolt head. A PB blaster soak also works great for helping loosen seals from their flanges. I couldn't get a seal out with a drift and didn't want to damage the flange, PB blaster and a quick tap got the seal out.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Lug_Nut said:
Loosen the 13 mm head bolt first. The 16 mm head is the tensioner. The 13 locks the tensioner.
In the image above, A 13 mm wrench is used on the left and lower bolts, then a 16 mm wrench is used to pivot the pump. The bolt on the right of the image is the pivot axis.
What Jon is saying is, the 13mm head is loosened and you turn the 16mm counter clockwise or clockwise to move it up and down the teeth (pivoting the pump).

9PasCollinsat6 said:
13's are both off. Its just the 16mm that is being stubborn. It is the bolt that when I loosen allows the PS pump to pivot and slip off the belt.
From what you said, you already loosened the bolt. you shouldn't be trying to remove it. You should be moving it to loosen the tension off the belt so you can remove it off the pulley. No workey?

9PasCollinsat6

TDI
98 Jetta
The bolt wont budge...but then again I didnt try torquin it the other way. Once the driveway dries off ill get back out there and give it a try. Thanks fellas.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
I don't think I read it yet, but you have loosened the 3 bolts that hold the ps pump stationary ? Otherwise the geared bolt will never turn. If worse comes to worse, just remove the 3 bolts holding the pulley onto the pump and remove pulley with belt.