Serpentine belt tensioner squeal

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
sounds like the little idler for the timing belt. Was making a similar sound on my 02 before I had it replaced

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Huh... I just did the timing belt about a month ago... I should also note that the squeal was there before the timing belt job

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I couldn't make out one noise from another, but you always want to make sure the clutched pulley on the alternator is good. If you replace the tensioner while you have a bad alternator pulley you will ruin your new tensioner.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine. If the noise goes away, then it is something the the serp turns.

While you have the belt off block the internal fan in the alternator with a screwdriver and try to spin the alternator pulley in both directions by hand. The pulley should turn smoothly in one direction and not turn in the other direction.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Try removing the serpentine belt and running the engine. If the noise goes away, then it is something the the serp turns.

While you have the belt off block the internal fan in the alternator with a screwdriver and try to spin the alternator pulley in both directions by hand. The pulley should turn smoothly in one direction and not turn in the other direction.
Probably obvious, but the second paragraph should be done with the engine off, the first with it running.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀

I'll give that a try today and give an update on what happens

Jesse_Boyer

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm all out...
Easier method to determine if the serp belt is slipping is to use a little water on the belt while its running and squeaking. Squirt gun, super-soaker, spray bottle, etc as your weapon of choice works perfectly. You'll know instantly if the belt is the culprit as the noise will vanish.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Easier method to determine if the serp belt is slipping is to use a little water on the belt while its running and squeaking. Squirt gun, super-soaker, spray bottle, etc as your weapon of choice works perfectly. You'll know instantly if the belt is the culprit as the noise will vanish.
True, but it usually the problem is something turned by the belt, not the belt it's self.