Dipped headlights like candles, can't see 2001 passat Tdi

Dentist69

TDI
Passat 1.9Tdi 2001
Hi, i have just bought a Passat 1.9Tdi 130 with a few problems. I have diagnosed one problem being the convenience control module, (wires are properly rotten and one scorch mark on the board beneath the small plug) of which i am getting repaired in next couple days by a friend who is handy with a soldering iron so hopefully no need for the expense to reprogram a replacement.

BUT, the dipped headlights are like candles, and though i have thought about trying more powerful bulbs, i have learned that the reflectors are plastic and am worried about the heat output. Can anyone give me any insight please? Just to clarify the reflectors are spotless, not green in anyway!

Thanx in advance

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
So dipped headlights are what we call low beams? or are they what we call fog lights?

Need to clarify for us

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
I believe he is talking about the deterioration of the lense itself. Leading to yellowing and poor light output.

To fix it, you can either order glass replacements, or take 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper in a bucket with heavily soapy water, and sand the headlights, while keeping it very wet. Follow up with some polish or compound and heavy elbow grease if you do not have a rotary or orbital buffer.

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
Check out this video on the sandpaper method. This plus a good uv resistant wax or even sunscreen will yield the best results besides a replacement.

http://youtu.be/lrlIhRea8u8

3m makes a ready to go just add your drill kit that I use and it works great. Comes with all the stuff you need and a protective wipe. I'm on my phone so one link is all I can do for you but a quick google search or inquiry at your local parts house should get you set up with the 3m kit should you want it.