Pictures of New CR engine(hopefully I did this right)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Thanks, FowVay (my favorite tdiclub tag, BTW :))
I also searched the Euro oil producers and could not find any reference to this oil at Motul, Elf or Castrol. Unless the NA spec cars will have another requirement based on unique emmissions equipment, I don't know why there would be any VW507.01 oil spec.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
This particular car was built in Feb. 2008, so the information is current. There is no 507.01 specification that the dealers here have heard of.

This car has the particulate filter so I'm sure it's going to be the same emissions system that we get in the U.S.

Also, someone asked about the engine code. I believe that the engine code is BRD. I am not fluent in the German language so I have to try to decipher things in their context and the car label has no context to work from.

V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
FowVay said:
This car has the particulate filter so I'm sure it's going to be the same emissions system that we get in the U.S.
I believe that the Euro versions of the engine do not have the NOx storage catalyst that the North American ones require.

Krusshall

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
brucep said:
I was RIGHT the last time we discussed this!!.... there is only a single TimingBelt pully for the DOHC. (Several folks argued there was a seperate pully for each of the 2 camshafts)

I think these photos clearly show how the second cam is driven.
Another thread said that Sportwagen TDI prices were up on the website so I went there and also saw that they have spec's posted as well. They list this engine as a SOHC even though it is 4 valves per cylinder. I'm curious as to what is correct.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is a DOHC, I stood and looked at one of the displays at NAIAS. Belt runs one cam, then a gear runs the other cam off of the first, like many DOHC are arranged.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Krusshall said:
Another thread said that Sportwagen TDI prices were up on the website so I went there and also saw that they have spec's posted as well. They list this engine as a SOHC even though it is 4 valves per cylinder. I'm curious as to what is correct.
2 cams , one belt driven and the other gear driven off of that cam .

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
joe- what did you find out about 507.01 oil spec?

Rexking414

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
NMRJock said:
+1 And how often will we need to change it?
Well, the 507 oil is rated for 30 k miles per change, of course the best idea is a oil analysis to figure the best interval for the driving enviroment.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
tditom said:
joe- what did you find out about 507.01 oil spec?
Parts can tell me nothing as of now Tom. When I find out I will PM you thanks

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Rexking414 said:
Well, the 507 oil is rated for 30 k miles per change, of course the best idea is a oil analysis to figure the best interval for the driving enviroment.
Oil capacity is up to 5.8 qts, also will help with >10,000 OCI

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I can't help but think they will switch on the oil monitoring system and allow varied oil change intervals in the US. Of course US marketing is probably trying to convince them to switch to 3 months or 3000 miles based on VWAG's track record.

DB

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
My Elf (now Total) dealer has stated that 507 according to his information is the new spec.

Meanwhile, I have it on less authority that VW is supposedly switch to 4-digit engine codes starting with the CRD. Why can't it just be a CRD engine code? ;)
We'll see...

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
BleachedBora said:
My Elf (now Total) dealer has stated that 507 according to his information is the new spec.

Meanwhile, I have it on less authority that VW is supposedly switch to 4-digit engine codes starting with the CRD. Why can't it just be a CRD engine code? ;)
We'll see...
Because my Jeep was the first one called a CRD;)

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Drivbiwire said:
I can't help but think they will switch on the oil monitoring system and allow varied oil change intervals in the US. Of course US marketing is probably trying to convince them to switch to 3 months or 3000 miles based on VWAG's track record.

DB
Well, marketing has decided to pick up the tab for service and they are going by the 10k service interval.

I would love to see the oil sensors in our cars and the oil change interval attached to them. But I just don't know how well that will work with our litigious society. Either people will want to go 20k plus miles and not change the oil or they have been brain washed into the 3k interval.:rolleyes:

Oh well, back to the fun.

Jason

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
SilverGhost said:
I would love to see the oil sensors in our cars and the oil change interval attached to them. But I just don't know how well that will work with our litigious society. Either people will want to go 20k plus miles and not change the oil or they have been brain washed into the 3k interval.:rolleyes:

Oh well, back to the fun.

Jason
I like that idea. What they need to do is have the ECU record every time the oil is changed, and it should be able to tell it from the oil quality readings. Then when we buy a used CR TDI, we could hook up VAG-COM to it and get a list of exactly when every oil change was done. Now, as to what oil was used....

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
The only thing that seems to be a given, for sure parameter, is that each generation of engines gets more complex and requires more sensors to be working properly.....

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
frugality said:
I like that idea. What they need to do is have the ECU record every time the oil is changed, and it should be able to tell it from the oil quality readings. Then when we buy a used CR TDI, we could hook up VAG-COM to it and get a list of exactly when every oil change was done. Now, as to what oil was used....
Problem is there are a lot of people out there that would not want a car that keeps any record of what is done to or with it. Remember the outcry in the news when it was thought that all cars were going to have black boxes like airplanes?

Jason

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
DickSilver said:
The only thing that seems to be a given, for sure parameter, is that each generation of engines gets more complex and requires more sensors to be working properly.....
To remove the engine from my 1973 Baja Bug required disconnecting:
(1) electrical wire
(1) throttle cable
(1) fuel line
(4) bolts
Doesn't get much simpler than that. :)

I'm hoping that all-electric cars (or with a small generator like the Volt) will take off in the next decade. Electric car drivetrains are simple -- a bank of batteries, a power controller, and a few motors at the wheels. 'Coachbuilding' may come back again -- the old process where one company would manufacture a chassis with drivetrain, and another company would put a body on it. Imagine having an electric-drive platform that you could choose to put a sedan or a wagon or a van body on.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Gm tried that with the Hywire fuel cell vehicle. Since everything was built into the chassis, they made it so the top of the vehicle was removable. You could make it a coupe, sedan, van, etc. by swapping the top and the seat locations.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
SilverGhost said:
Remember the outcry in the news when it was thought that all cars were going to have black boxes like airplanes?

Jason
Amm, they do. No voice recorders or anything like that, but the airbag control system records a lot of data for post-crash analisys.

The NHTSA mandates standardized EDR (event data recording) for all cars sold in the US starting 2010, but non-standard functions are included since a long time.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
darkscout said:
Exhaust valve restriction. Drive up EGT for DPF regen. Common on large semi engines for 2007 emissions.
does this setup do a post injection of fuel (that would be on the exhaust stroke) to use as ignition for burning out the dpf as on the 6.7L cummins?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
CTD&TDI said:
does this setup do a post injection of fuel (that would be on the exhaust stroke) to use as ignition for burning out the dpf as on the 6.7L cummins?
Is the 6.7L a common rail? I think that's what the consensus has been is this does an Exhaust Valve open shot of fuel so there doesn't have to be a "5th" injector. The mechanically driven injectors all have the "7th" injector on them to clean out the DPF (Other that Cat who uses the CRS device).

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
darkscout said:
Is the 6.7L a common rail? I think that's what the consensus has been is this does an Exhaust Valve open shot of fuel so there doesn't have to be a "5th" injector. The mechanically driven injectors all have the "7th" injector on them to clean out the DPF (Other that Cat who uses the CRS device).
ya the cummins ISB's went to common rail in 03 with the 5.9L....6.7's came out this year. So how long will the regen take? the mileage on my 6.7 is HORRIBLE! the best i avg is 10.4 pullin a trailer....17ish empty (never ran a tank w/o a trailer..lol)

My truck the regen takes approx 30-40 miles continuous driving, not stop n go. Also the exhaust gets so hot that i lit paper on fire with it......at idle....

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
CTD&TDI said:
ya the cummins ISB's went to common rail in 03 with the 5.9L....6.7's came out this year. So how long will the regen take? the mileage on my 6.7 is HORRIBLE! the best i avg is 10.4 pullin a trailer....17ish empty (never ran a tank w/o a trailer..lol)

My truck the regen takes approx 30-40 miles continuous driving, not stop n go. Also the exhaust gets so hot that i lit paper on fire with it......at idle....
If you're getting 17 mpg in a vehicle that big, you should be thanking your lucky stars! 17 mpg for an almost 3 ton vehicle is nothing to sneeze at.

oilhammer

TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
If you're getting 17 mpg in a vehicle that big, you should be thanking your lucky stars! 17 mpg for an almost 3 ton vehicle is nothing to sneeze at.
"ACHOO!!!" ;)

I dunno, the B5 with me and the family inside tips the scales at about two tons, and it gets upwards of 40...

I'd stop sneezing when the 3 ton vehicle gets 25 to 30...like a 5 cyl. Sprinter can :D

Now 17 MPG while loaded is pretty respectable.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
oilhammer said:
"ACHOO!!!" ;)

I dunno, the B5 with me and the family inside tips the scales at about two tons, and it gets upwards of 40...

I'd stop sneezing when the 3 ton vehicle gets 25 to 30...like a 5 cyl. Sprinter can :D

Now 17 MPG while loaded is pretty respectable.
it 4 tons empty...lol. and the only time ive come close to 17 is w/o a trailer on the interstate...my normal avg is 10.5.,...

oilhammer

TDI
Does not seem too terribly efficient then. My friend's dad gets 9 MPG out of his '07 MBE 4000-powered Century Class FL, and that is hauling a loaded 53' trailer :eek:

It also makes 450 HP @ 1900 RPM/ 1650 LBFT @ 1200 RPM !!!!!

Last edited:

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
It doesn't help that all those big Dodges come with huge 18" tires and about 2 feet of ground clearance and an ineffcient slushbox.