www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 6th, 2020, 10:16   #1
sriner

Default B5 Passat parts for longitudinal engine conversions

Anyone looked into using parts from a B5 Passat for ALH swaps into longitudinal orientations?

I was at the junkyard pulling a turbo and manifold from a BHW this weekend for an upcoming Toyota ALH swap. The B5 Passats have the engine mounted longitudinally already.

So parts I'm thinking:
- turbo and manifold hopefully give more room between exhaust and starter
- oil pan has a clearance for crossmember, maybe clear front diff?
- OEM motor mount brackets for longitudinal install (driver side might have interference with ALH accessory bracket
- passenger side mounted AC compressor
- dampener pulley that can run two belts
- back of head coolant fitting (didn't look at it, but I know its tight to the firewall too)
sriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 10:30   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You can also use a bunch of stuff from the gas 4 cyl too. Not the turbo and manifolds, obviously, but the mounting and belt stuff, oil pan, etc. The AWM, AUG, are both the same engine family.
Old January 6th, 2020, 11:50   #3
sriner

That's some of the info I've been researching today. That's good to have some confirmation. The 4cyl gassers are much easier to find in the junkyard. I think I'll grab some mount brackets and oil pan to see how they fit.

I was reading that the 1.8t oil pan might be better anyway, as it has a ledge to hold the windage tray. Or maybe that was only relevant for BS delete BHWs.
Old January 6th, 2020, 12:07   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Go by engine code, not just "1.8t", because that will avoid confusion. Reason I say this is, the earlier 1.8t engines (like the AEB for instance) are COMPLETELY different, and NOTHING will bolt on to an ALH.

The one you want, and will be most common, is the AWM which is in late 2001 through 2005 Passats. There are a lot more of those because they sold a lot more of those. BHWs were just late 2004 and 2005 only. And even then, they still sold a lot more AWMs.

The AWM's oil pan will have a turbo drain tube hole you will need to plug off (easy).
Old January 6th, 2020, 18:24   #5
Zeitgeist
Veteran Member

I used an AWM passenger side engine mount arm and oilpan/oil pickup on the ALH I installed in my Vanagon.
'01 Eurovan Weekender AXK
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 19:04   #6
A-man930
Veteran Member

Following. Would like to see fitment of the longitudinal engine mount brackets on an ALH.
A-man930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 10:00   #7
russx

TDI(s): A8 d2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-man930 View Post
Following. Would like to see fitment of the longitudinal engine mount brackets on an ALH.
alh and longitudinal bhw have the same block. I made a hybride of bhw block and cylinderhead of alh and it works
russx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 15:01   #8
Zeitgeist
Veteran Member

I kinda doubt the stock ALH exhaust manifold/turbo combo would fit with this mount.
'01 Eurovan Weekender AXK
Past: '96 Passat 1Z
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 04:02   #9
sriner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
I kinda doubt the stock ALH exhaust manifold/turbo combo would fit with this mount.
Agreed definitely would have to get the BHW exhaust and turbo set up or something similar.

Another BHW showed up in the junkyard this week. I'm going to pull more parts from it and maybe some from an AWM this weekend. The AWM pickup tube is around $30 new, so might not be worth my time getting it from a junkyard.

I plan to pull the engine from the Toyota by the end of the month, then I can see how things fit and line up.

Part numbers I have found so far:
AWM oil pickup tube: 06B 115 251
AWM oil pan: 06B 103 603 N or 06B 103 601 P
BHW oil pan: 03G 103 603
Driver Side Engine Bracket: 8DO 199 307 P
Old January 8th, 2020, 09:08   #10
Runninwild
Veteran Member

Why not just bhw swap? Electronics are about the same, and you can get more power for less work and have a stronger bottom end?
Runninwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 09:21   #11
sriner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninwild View Post
Why not just bhw swap? Electronics are about the same, and you can get more power for less work and have a stronger bottom end?
While that has crossed my mind, I already have two ALHs and a 1Z. For simplicity and off-road reliability I am going MTDI. That's not possible with a BHW. I currently drive a MK1 rabbit with a MTDI ALH that I really like. Also the BHW has issues with the balance shaft assembly, but there are options to fix that. I feel like there is a reason VW only produced the engine for 2 years.
Old January 8th, 2020, 12:34   #12
jmodge
Veteran Member

What year is your Toyota?
Old January 9th, 2020, 09:34   #13
sriner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
What year is your Toyota?
1987 4Runner. Pictures of it and the Rabbit on my Instagram Stephen_Vehicle
Old February 27th, 2020, 03:44   #14
sriner

Finally got around to test fitting the engine in the 4Runner.

ALH engine with BHW engine brackets, BHW oil pan, and BHW exhaust/turbo, TD Conversions adapter in clocked position.
  • BHW engine brackets: As we know the "driver side" bracket interferes with accessory bracket. Sitting in engine bay the brackets reach the frame on both sides, but are right on top of the upper control arm mounts. Maybe with a solid axle or different vehicle they could work. If adapter kit was mounted in straight up position, I don't think the engine brackets could be used
  • BHW oil pan: the pan is made to be in a clocked position. With the hump in the oil pan it clears the front differential with no drop bracket or body lift. I think if the engine was moved forward another 2 inches the engine could be ran in the straight up position with that hump in the oil pan. The oil pan to transmission bolt pattern on the rear does appear to be different and does not line up with the bolt holes on the TD Conversions adapter plate.
  • BHW exhaust/turbo: Gives plenty of clearance for the starter. Turbo is close to passenger inner fender, but that can be clearance if needed. Air outlet will need to be clocked.

So I will not be using the BHW engine brackets. I have universal brackets from TD Conversions with hydraulic engine mounts. Still have some thinking and test fitting to do with the oil pan. Not sure if I want to run the engine clocked or straight up.
Old February 27th, 2020, 05:26   #15
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

very cool, you have a pic of the the td conversions mounts?