2006 5-speed drops speed in 5th gear

javigh123

TDI
2006 Jetta
2006 Jetta TDI
5-speed manual
straight-pipe
127k miles

Before posting this new thread, I searched for my issue but didn't find anyone else sharing my problem. Here's what's happening...

about a month ago, my car started shaking really bad and dropping speed/RPMs. I would have to drop it to 4th gear and sometimes even 3rd. I took it to the shop and was told I needed a new clutch and dual mass flywheel. I bought both items and had them installed. A few days later, I picked up the car and it was driving fine, but when i needed to speed up past 70mph the car would start to shake (not as bad as before) but the speed and RPMs would drop even while I accelerated. I didn't see any smoke come out, felt like there was no air coming in or not enough fuel reaching the engine.

The check engine light is not on, but when connected to the OBDII Scanner, it gives me the following codes:

Fuel temp sensor A (G81): Open or short to plus P0183
EGR System Excessive Flow: P0402
Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70) Impausable signal P0101
Oxygen (lambea) sensor B1s! voltage too low p2414

I have not done any mods to the car other than removing the cat and muffler but that was a long time ago and had never given me any issues.

Anyone have any idea what it might be? I am the second owner of the car and the previous owner never replaced the timing belt and neither have I but I will be replacing it now that the car is in the shop since its about that time.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
sounds like a stuck ASV to me...

its sucking too much egr.
mass air flow is reading too low.
and bad o2 sensor readings.

i might be wrong but it sure sounds like it...

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Couple things.

EGR valve stuck open can cause this. They are random erratic buggers. That'll cause the 0402 code.

The actuator on the turbo might be heading south as most do. No fix other than complete replacement.

Have you inspected the cam and lifters for holes/wear? once they hole through you'll get a pulsing sound about two times a second at idle. (exhaust lifter with a hole).