Need Chip Tuning Advice

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Greetings everyone!

I've been having a great deal of fun reading up on chip tuning and at the very least I've decided I'd like a chip flash tune rather than a tuning box. This way I get what is arguably a more well-rounded tune, so to speak. I want something that will control boost and fueling.

So, my understanding, if I've got it right, is that Kerma offers VAG-COM programmable tunes, not only Q-Loader tunes, for the PD engines. Is this correct?

Can the Q-Loader be used with Alligator and RC tunes as well as Kerma tunes, or is the Q-Loader exclusive to Kerma?

Does anyone here have any other suggestions? I must have the ability to reflash back to the stock ECU for dealer service or warranty work, God forbid. My '06 Jetta is a lease.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sounds like the Kerma Q-loader is your only option. It's exclusive to Kerma (Alligator). It seems like a good product if you have the $$$.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Well, it's the same cost as the Digi PD ($700), and no, I don't have the cash at this point. Something cheaper would be nice.

I had no idea Kerma was Alligator.... kermatdi.com says nothing about Alligator. How confusing.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
pleopard said:
Well, it's the same cost as the Digi PD ($700), and no, I don't have the cash at this point. Something cheaper would be nice.

I had no idea Kerma was Alligator.... kertatdi.com says nothing about Alligator. How confusing.
Oh yes. Alligator needs to (he said he was) going to clean up the nomenclature between all of his different dealers, and people wonder why Jeff doesn't want to do that.

You can do a Q loader or you can pull the ECM and solder a socket on for socketed chips.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Okay, so Kerma is the same as Alligator? Thanks for royally confusing me guys. Googling Alligator wasn't much help.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I've had Unitronics done over a year ago and am very satisfied.
I do not know the current price but it was nowhere even near $ 700.00, far from it.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Do you have a link to any information about Unitronics? Also, as mentioned in my original post, I need the option of flashing back to stock.

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
another option you have is buying a spare ECU and getting that chipped and whenever you go to dealer you swap out the computers... its relativley simple to do. But will probably run you about the same as the Q-Loader. However with that said you can more then likley sell the ECU off to someone else once ure off warranty.

just a thought... something tells me this could just make things more complicated for you tho.. :p

cadbury

TDI
2005 Indigo Blue Golf GLS PD, 5spd
I have the Q-loader from Kerma and I am very satisfied. Kerma makes the Q-loader, Aligator makes the tune for kerma who forwards it onto you.
http://tdituning.pl/ is aligators website i believe.

My only complaint is it takes several tunes to get it customized for your car. Ive had mine for almost 2 months and we still aren't done. He sends you a file, you drive for a few days with it. take logs, send it to kerma, he sends a new file back and repeat.

In the end I will have the same performance if not more than the Digi-PD and the TPC tuning boxes. Together they cost $999CDN plus shipping.

After taxes and shipping the Q-Loader and the tune for my PD engine was about $750CDN plus i spent $50ish for a vag-com cable so i can take my own logs.

Writing the file to your ECU takes less than 5 mins, and you can go back to stock at any time.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
However, with a Technine tune, I can't easily go back to stock without dishing out more money! That's the key. I need to be able to return to stock.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
pleopard said:
Greetings everyone!

I've been having a great deal of fun reading up on chip tuning and at the very least I've decided I'd like a chip flash tune rather than a tuning box. This way I get what is arguably a more well-rounded tune, so to speak. I want something that will control boost and fueling.

So, my understanding, if I've got it right, is that Kerma offers VAG-COM programmable tunes, not only Q-Loader tunes, for the PD engines. Is this correct?

Can the Q-Loader be used with Alligator and RC tunes as well as Kerma tunes, or is the Q-Loader exclusive to Kerma?

Does anyone here have any other suggestions? I must have the ability to reflash back to the stock ECU for dealer service or warranty work, God forbid. My '06 Jetta is a lease.

I have an '05 leased Jetta TDI and an '06 Golf TDI, leased. Both are Technine tuned with warrantee still applicable. And the dealer knows it.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
Once your lease is up you can sell your Q-Loader to recoup some of your initial investment. In the end you'll mostly have just paid for the cost of a tune. For now you pay a little extra for the convenience of switching back to stock in minutes, and not having to drive to a chip dealer (tunes are e-mailed to your home).

Authorized Aligator dealers are listed here and Kermatdi.com is one of them.

I'm Canadian and we have Q-Loaders in stock. $8 pays for 2-3 business day Xpresspost shipping within Canada.

Cheers,
Mark