Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Gouging can be a good thing and I can use diesel prices to explain it.

I live in a hurricane prone area, and after the storm passes fuel can be in short supply due to power outages and blocked roads. Now imagine you have a line of cars at the only gas station in town that's open. They have 100 gallons of diesel fuel in the tank and before the storm it was priced at $3.939 a gallon.

In the ensuing panic rush to find ANY available fuel, people will tend to hoard and buy as much fuel as they could. It would only take a few Powerstrokes or Excursions to empty that pittance of fuel.

BUT — what if it was priced at $8.509 a gallon? People would only buy what they need because they know in a day or six more stations will come online and the price will be back to (somewhat) normal. Each trucker and TDI driver would reluctantly shell out for a gallon or two, and what once would go into 2-5 vehicles before running out would now serve 50-100 vehicles.

Most prices here are still $3.939 or thereabouts; in Mobile it's down to $3.699 at one station and some others are in the range of $3.759. One Shell manages to still be $4.249 though so all's right with the world.

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
Current Price in my region as of today - RUG $3.69 - down $0.30 from its high and D2 $4.09 - down $0.20 from its high in the area. Seems like all of it is still way too high.. It would be nice if the scale of up and down prices flows at the same pace. Weather it is an up tick or down tick, we still seem to get pinched in the pocket. Here is a novel idea, bring back the good old day's at $0.28 gal for regular gas. I seem to recall that I did pay that price for fuel once upon a time in my life many years ago. Of course that last comment was made tounge in cheek.. Cheers!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Here is a novel idea, bring back the good old day's at $0.28 gal for regular gas. I seem to recall that I did pay that price for fuel once upon a time in my life many years ago. Of course that last comment was made tounge in cheek.. Cheers!
If the price is too low, then consumers will buy up all there is, creating shortages. And producers will stop producing, because they lose money on every gallon.

To add to what Tom Servo had to say: for most of us, the last time we saw severe shortages and long lines at fuel stations, it was following a natural disaster. Or, it was back in the 1970s when the government tried to fix prices for domestically-produced crude oil, to prevent oil producers from earning windfall profits.

The lesson here, of course, it to beware of any politician who bad-mouths profits and the companies that earn them.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I paid $3.84 on Sunday in Tega Cay. That was the lowest since early Feb.

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed
A nice experience at the usual Irving station today. I pulled up to the usual pump. The price was 3.939. A voice came over the speaker near the diesel pumps asking me to replace the nozzle and start over. The reason?
She said the price was coming down. The display on the pump changed, and I ended up paying $3.919. They didn't have to do that. :D

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
A nice experience at the usual Irving station today. I pulled up to the usual pump. The price was 3.939. A voice came over the speaker near the diesel pumps asking me to replace the nozzle and start over. The reason?
She said the price was coming down. The display on the pump changed, and I ended up paying $3.919. They didn't have to do that. :D
Now that's the kind of filling up story I like to hear. :)

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
OKC - I saw it was 3.77 at 39th and MacArthur today, but I was still on 3/4 and ground my teeth as I passed by, lol...then gasbuddy told me it was 3.49 at 10th and MacArthur...:eek:...screw 3/4, I'm goin there tomorrow, lol

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
There is a little spread around here. One Shell is holding or creeping up at 4.26/g and several others (RaceTrac, Hess) are actually down slightly at 3.95 - 3.98/g.

Jason

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Tax the oil companies that sell here, shell, exxon, bp etc, they are the biggest and they make trillions gouging us, not rocket science though some here make it out to be. Use that tax revenue to run enough refinery output to stabilize diesel production for domestic use. Walla, simple solution to our oil company rip offs. We are awash in oil, demand is down, get the speculators and greedy oil companies out of the way by a competitive refinery system. That's what Delta Airlines just did, they bought their own refinery. It's what the tax payers need too. And yes we need to transition away from the fossil era due to it's poisoning the planet faster than predicted. So use some of those taxes to at least counter evil oil company climate change denial propaganda and invest in renewable energy.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Something to be a bit concerned about...

While domestic crude oil inventories, at 380 million barrels, are the highest in two years, distillate inventories at barely 120 million barrels are the lowest in two years and somewhat below the normal level for this time of year. A year ago, ULSD stocks were 103.3 million barrels, but this week they are down to 87.4 million barrels. That's a drop of 10 million barrels in just five weeks.

Almost all the drop in distillate stocks under 15 ppm sulfur is in PADD 3, the Gulf Coast region. Very soon, maybe within days, the Seaway Pipeline will start carrying oil from Cushing OK to the Gulf Coast, reversing its original direction of flow.

So, maybe the Gulf Coast refiners have intentionally lowered their inventories of expensive refined products made from expensive imported crude, to make room for cheaper gasoline and distillate fuels made from cheaper crude from West Texas and North Dakota?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Tornado, I think it is obvious that the only things that happen accidentally when it comes to crude and distillate maneuvering, are, well...accidents, lol. I took your last stmt to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek :).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tax the oil companies that sell here, shell, exxon, bp etc, they are the biggest and they make trillions gouging us, not rocket science though some here make it out to be. Use that tax revenue to run enough refinery output to stabilize diesel production for domestic use. Walla, simple solution to our oil company rip offs.
"Walla"? Do you mean, "voilà", from the French, meaning "look here?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel output/barrel crude refined in Europe is higher. We can highly efficiently upgrade our infrastructure to do the same. Just stop Exxon et al from rigging the system folks.

Last edited:

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Paid $4.05 today in Jacksonville, NC. That's the cheapest I've gotten it since buying my Golf about 2 months ago. $4.17 is the most I've paid. The day I pay under $4 I'll cum in my pants.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
OKC - I saw it was 3.77 at 39th and MacArthur today, but I was still on 3/4 and ground my teeth as I passed by, lol...then gasbuddy told me it was 3.49 at 10th and MacArthur...:eek:...screw 3/4, I'm goin there tomorrow, lol
That's so low I'd be skeptical. Ever since GasBuddy introduced "awards" on their mobile app, people have been entering fake prices to earn the "Perfectionist" award, which is handed out after entering all grades of fuel so many times in the app. Unfortunately it does not take into account whether a station actually carries all grades, despite that functionality being built-in to the GasBuddy Master Station List. :mad:

Unless you know the station a) actually carries diesel and b) is known to be cheaper than everyone else, I'd take the price with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, if it IS real, that's quite a good bargain and definitely worth checking out if it's not too far out of your way. :D

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point, Tom...I pass by that place a lot and it does have the lowest prices generally...I'm goin over in a few minutes, lol

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
That's so low I'd be skeptical. Ever since GasBuddy introduced "awards" on their mobile app, people have been entering fake prices to earn the "Perfectionist" award, which is handed out after entering all grades of fuel so many times in the app. Unfortunately it does not take into account whether a station actually carries all grades, despite that functionality being built-in to the GasBuddy Master Station List. :mad:

Unless you know the station a) actually carries diesel and b) is known to be cheaper than everyone else, I'd take the price with a grain of salt.

On the other hand, if it IS real, that's quite a good bargain and definitely worth checking out if it's not too far out of your way. :D
I noticed a lot of bogus reports on gas-buddy and don't use them anymore. I now use iGasUp, ties into the same database as Sirius Travel Link. Reads credit card swipes to obtain fuel type and price.

HUVW

TDI
05 Passat Highline 4Motion
Reads credit card swipes to obtain fuel type and price.
I wonder what else it obtains from the credit card swipes?

BOT:

Current diesel fuel price back home in Hungary: ~$7.26/GAL
Current gasoline price (unleaded) in Hungary: ~$7.24/GAL

Current super unleaded price in Kuwait: ~$0.88

I have yet to see a station here in Kuwait sell diesel. I know they do somewhere considering there are vehicles which utilize diesel, but all the fuel stations I frequent with passenger cars do not sell diesel.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope the Teamsters cut a deal with Delta Airlines to stabilize the diesel supply in the US. It could profoundly effect prices. Delta has just purchased a refinery to control it's fuel costs. The best solution would also be change the constitution to allow export taxes and tax diesel exports, which is where all our fuel is going now. I notice there's no right wing ideologues screaming about the free market lately. No maniacal repeated lies about supply an demand.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Something to be a bit concerned about...

While domestic crude oil inventories, at 380 million barrels, are the highest in two years, distillate inventories at barely 120 million barrels are the lowest in two years and somewhat below the normal level for this time of year. A year ago, ULSD stocks were 103.3 million barrels, but this week they are down to 87.4 million barrels. That's a drop of 10 million barrels in just five weeks.

Almost all the drop in distillate stocks under 15 ppm sulfur is in PADD 3, the Gulf Coast region. Very soon, maybe within days, the Seaway Pipeline will start carrying oil from Cushing OK to the Gulf Coast, reversing its original direction of flow.

So, maybe the Gulf Coast refiners have intentionally lowered their inventories of expensive refined products made from expensive imported crude, to make room for cheaper gasoline and distillate fuels made from cheaper crude from West Texas and North Dakota?
This helps explain the rumors of price hikes heading into Memorial Day Weekend.

It is interesting to see you speculation that the Gulf area refineries may actually be paying attention to where the cheapest and largest domestic crude supplies are.

Oh, B5 at Loves in Fort Mill, SC was $3.84 last night. Both cars are near full so it doesn't help me this week. I was filling my daughter's Toyota at $3.39 for rug.

Last edited:
TDI
00 Golf
So I guess they paid the people at East Anglia University too? (Climategate) Back to topic, I saw price drop more, I saw alot of $3.8X9s in A.A. County today
what do you mean back on topic? this is the sound off on prices thread not the post your local price thread.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I hope the Teamsters cut a deal with Delta Airlines to stabilize the diesel supply in the US. It could profoundly effect prices. Delta has just purchased a refinery to control it's fuel costs. The best solution would also be change the constitution to allow export taxes and tax diesel exports, which is where all our fuel is going now. I notice there's no right wing ideologues screaming about the free market lately. No maniacal repeated lies about supply an demand.
Oh, did you want to engage in dialogue? I'm a right-wing ideologue willing to volunteer to tear you a new one, anytime, anywhere. Unfortunately for you, I can support every argument I make with facts. That's your problem, you have no facts.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A week ago, most of the low-priced stations around the Twin Cities were charging $3.999, and only one -- conveniently close to my home -- was charging $3.939.

Since then there have been dozens of stations that dropped their price for ULSD to $3.899, and I was able to fill up today for $3.859, without driving too far out of my way. That's the lowest price I've paid since January 24th.