iPhone to ODBII

Santos_V

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
Not with my plan. I'd have to pay MORE per month AND lose my unlimited data plan.
Ad-Hoc and Tethering are 2 different things.
AD-Hoc allows the phone to connect to a hotspot or network. The phone's cellular network is not shared and the phone is not the host.

Tethering turns the device into a hotspot and the devices connected to are sharing the cellular connection. The phone is the host and is providing IP numbers to the connected devices.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I KNOW the difference! I've created ad-hoc wifi networks before. I also know about tethering and I know what I can and cannot do with my current plan (tethering is NOT allowed) and what I would have to do and how much extra I'd have to pay to gain tethering. I would have to give up my $30/month unlimited data plan and get a $50/month 5GB data plan; IOW, I'd be paying 67% more per month for way less data. It is simply NOT cost effective as I don't really need tethering.

From what you have explained about the proposed VCDS-M, it makes more sense from a cost standpoint to use a netbook with the full VCDS software. The only remaining question is which connection from the OBDII port to the netbook would be more cost effective: cable or WiFi

Last edited:

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
The only remaining question is which connection from the OBDII port to the netbook would be more cost effective: cable or WiFi
I think you still have some misconceptions about Ad-Hoc vs. Tethering and under what circumstances VCDS-Mobile will require a connection to the internet, but I'm not going to try to sort this out right here and right now.

As to more "more cost effective", wired is likely to be cheaper than wireless for the foreseeable future.

-Uwe-

kjprince

TDI
2000 TDI Golf GL
I KNOW the difference! I've created ad-hoc wifi networks before. I also know about tethering and I know what I can and cannot do with my current plan (tethering is NOT allowed) and what I would have to do and how much extra I'd have to pay to gain tethering. I would have to give up my $30/month unlimited data plan and get a $50/month 5GB data plan; IOW, I'd be paying 67% more per month for way less data. It is simply NOT cost effective as I don't really need tethering.

From what you have explained about the proposed VCDS-M, it makes more sense from a cost standpoint to use a netbook with the full VCDS software. The only remaining question is which connection from the OBDII port to the netbook would be more cost effective: cable or WiFi

If you have Verizon you may be interested in this FTC case:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/31/verizon-cant-block-tethering-apps_n_1725466.html

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
The fact that there hasn't been any updates for 6 months doesn't sound good.

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
We have a FEW beta units we'd like to put in existing customers' hands for evaluation. There will be no charge for these (we're not selling them yet) so only existing customers who are familiar with VCDS need apply.

If you'd like to be a beta tester, send me an e-mail, and tell what car(s) you can test on and why you'd be a good beta tester. Also tell me what mobile device(s) you would be using. And please tell me that you're familiar with and comfortable tweaking network configurations, 'cause if you're not, we'll both be frustrated.

If you're selected, you will be expected to join a "confidential" forum for VCDS-Mobile Beta testers. We do not want to have to keep track of feedback in a bunch of different places.

I will be on vacation tomorrow and Friday. I won't be back in the office until after Memorial day, and won't be making any selections until later next week, so you've got a few days to get your requests in.

-Uwe-

Biczek

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI Wagon '13 JSW TDI '14 Touareg TDI
Uwe or Santos

Does new unit/hardware will work with some apps like Dashcommand or Torque Pro to scan other brands of cars/trucks ?

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
The new interface is WiFi, not Bluetooth. So those kinds of apps will not work with the new hardware.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Torque can do Wifi interfaces too.. it's a little bit of a pain to make them work but they will as long as the hardware doesn't lock out everything other than its own software..

Justin Case

TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon
Kiwi2

Has anybody used the kiwi 2 OBD2 scanner with the iphone? Any success stories reading and deleting codes? Thanks