drivers side door only opens from the inside .....

ssteagall

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hi,

Just got the Jetta back from the body shop, they said they "only" painted the door in question....

Now the only way you can get the door to open is via the inside latch/handle.

*the lock "plunger" pops up and down seemingly just fine with remote or key.
*door lights and map lights come on when door is unlocked via the remote or key.

I found this previous post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=226611&highlight=door+handle+cable

...sounds like a possible fit for my problem even though it's the drivers door in my case?

is it safe to assume the body shop was the "cause" of this ?

thoughts ?

thx

ss

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I've fixed a few of those buggers. The guys at the body shop messed up the door pull. Tell them to figure out how it works and fix it right this time...

Loosen the 12pt socket inside the door frame next to the handle, but don't take it completely out. That will allow the trim piece behind the handle to come out. That trim piece holds a wire in place on the operating handle.

The wire that is supposed to be lodged into the pull handle operates the opening mechanism. Sometimes it's too far back in the slot to work. Sometimes, it's fallen inside the door. Thats where they screwed it up!

If you can find the wire, use some needle nose pliers and move it forward to catch in slots further out. Hold the wire in place and try the door. That should hopefully get it. Good luck.