Injector pump Diagram

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Your fuel economy is determined by your right foot... I usually set the IQ on a stock TDI as low as I can get it without having any slowdown shudder.. Usually around 2.0-2.5 does the trick.. Some will shudder at 2.0 and others won't..

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My car smokes like a SOB @ 2.5, smokes a little @ 3.6 so i put it up to 4.6 and i think its not smoking, The higher the number the leaner isnt it? or do I have it reveresed?

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay, so my car is @ 4.6IQ (may have toadjust the startup IQ as the car turns over and over and over before firing) I took it out for a test drive and it drives rather nice in comparison to my old 95 IDI Jetta, but will this setting harm the engine down the road? The diesel engine gets some lube from the diesel fuel will this leaner mode cause harm?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Your timing is probably off if it cranks for a bit before starting, it should fire almost instantly unless it's bitter cold and been sitting overnight..

No harm at all running the IQ at 4.6..

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
Timing as in fuel pump timing? My sisters car is worse than mine and it can be sitting in the garage... I know with my car it only does that after sitting for a while, my sisters car however we brought it in the garage one night and it took a few attempts to get it to fire...

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An ALH engine with the Injection timing set right and a properly functioning glow plug system will fire up right away.. usually a "rur, rur, rur, bam!" running.. Usually quicker than that though..

sullyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
My car takes a while to start to. Have new TB and all, check valve in tank is ok, getting plenty of fuel and IQ is 3.6. I reset the IQ when I installed my nozels.

Where is the startup IQ Setting? I would like to try changing it, would it be up or down?

I don't know what the heck is wrong with it, runs freaking great, just starting, crazy thing is, it will start ok some times........:confused:

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
i have the same issue, i hadnt heard of startup iq before how is it adjusted? i have a vag com.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you have an issue with cold starting, something is wrong... period. messing with the startup IQ won't help or hurt, i've never noticed a difference either way with the adaptation on any ALH I've tried it on. if it's warm starting, most likely is the software programing (early ALH hot start issue)... There's a BIG HUGE thread on it..

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hey guys, is there any how-to's on cleaning the quantity adjuster? I have the odd code here and there. I also don't get much smoke even with VEG 216 nozzles and an IQ of 2.0!? I know for a fact that my turbo vanes are not moving their full range but its not bad enough to negatively affect my performance and it seems to be getting better with every italian tuneup :)

HwyChild

TDI
2000 Jetta
I just did the hammer mod tonight.
After a couple taps with the hammer I tried to start the engine. It started, but, not easily. I hooked up the VAG COM. My IQ was at .11. Took me some reverse hammer mod tapping to get it back. Car runs great and starts easily again.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you can do it with the engine running while watching the IQ on Vag-com.. If you loosen the bolts only about a half of a turn you won't have much if any fuel leaking.

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I have done it countless times (hammer mod) I wouldn't recommend doing it without the engine running and using vagcom. It takes very little movement to make a significant change.

Beetlebat

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI AHU
I'm gettng ready to set mine after replacing the seals. I've seen several recommended settings, should it be set to 3.5,4.0 or 4.6 ( all of which I've seen mentioned here). I replaced the adjuster seals , tops and bottom and it fixed my leak. I started right up, but I noticed a bump in the idle every few seconds. Is this the mentioned shudder?
Thanks,

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
kinda depends on which injectors you have.. stock injectors on a 5-speed I'll usually set it down around 2.5, slightly higher if there's any hint of slowdown shudder.. With bigger nozzles you'll want the IQ a little higher to avoid excessive smoke/shudder.. My PP502's smoke like a train with the IQ any lower than about 6..

RCPaul

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Can anyone tell me what it means when its says to adjust or tap the injector pump until it reads 3.4-3.6 or 4.0 in block 2?? When I go into the basic settings in my vag com and select "group" 000 its says 47 in the second "block". Is this the correct reading or am I looking in the wrong place??

Thanks!

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RCPaul said:
Can anyone tell me what it means when its says to adjust or tap the injector pump until it reads 3.4-3.6 or 4.0 in block 2?? When I go into the basic settings in my vag com and select "group" 000 its says 47 in the second "block". Is this the correct reading or am I looking in the wrong place??

Thanks!
Look at group 001 instead of group 000 and don't put it in basic settings.. the second block is your injection quantity..

freeantelope024

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1999 Jetta TDI, 1991 Jetta
Did I miss something

I read through the entire thread and may have missed something. So why does one consider a Hammer Mod...I have a shudder issue with my wife's 2002 Jetta, definitely injector pump...my mechanic says replace the pump...which hes is currently doing...says the VWO has caused the issue...Should I have tried this first?

Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
hopefully there was a good reason to replace the pump. If all it needed was an IQ adjustment, then its time to replace your mechanic...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
hopefully there was a good reason to replace the pump. If all it needed was an IQ adjustment, then its time to replace your mechanic...
Agreed... if the IQ was too low, it'll shudder.. If it shudders with the IQ in the 3.5-4.5 range and the nozzles are in decent shape, something's wrong with the pump..

edgardotcom

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchased on (10/16/10) 2000 Red Jetta Std. 135K
I just did the "hammer mod" to my car a few minutes ago and it was a success!!! my car had 14 IQ (thats why it was so slow over all) I lowered to 4.2 what a difference in performance!!, I have one question.. can i add the evry mod after the "hammer mod"?

Bebuxa

TDI
Golf 4 tdi 90hp
my vag com sho me 2,2 mg/str, but if i lowered more my motor shakes in a idle, why?i change the noozles of tdi 90 for tdi 110 . mY car has a lot of smoke, and with nozzoles of tdi 90 i dont remember that smoke black...

Bebuxa

TDI
Golf 4 tdi 90hp
but if i raise de i.q the car lost performance of ecu chips....my noozles is of tdi 110 now...