Lawyer Up

Bobman58

TDI
2015 glf sport wagon sel
Has anyone opted out and filled a personal law suit against VW? Just curious if VW will tie it up in court or just settle and move on.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
If you haven't already opted out, you're about 8 months late--the deadline was 9/16/16. I know there are some here who have opted out, and at least one has mentioned that he'd retained an attorney who was in negotiations with VW.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's unlikely that you'll get any information about settlement amounts from people who have opted out and sued Volkswagen on their own. I suspect that any settlements will be bound to secrecy by a non-disclosure agreement.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
If you haven't already opted out, you're about 8 months late--the deadline was 9/16/16.........
Anyone who did not opt out in time, but wants to try to "Lawyer up" at this point would simply have to transfer the title to a trusted friend, and then transfer it back into their name.

I think you have 30-90 days from the purchase date to opt out.
(thereby reserving your right to sue VW on your own. - I'm going off memory here)

However, a newly purchased car this late would make a weak claim against VW in court.

You'd have a heard time proving VW advertised falsely, since the news has been out for a good 1.5 years.

Bobman58

TDI
2015 glf sport wagon sel
Lawyer

I suppose that's true about the non-disclosure claus but maybe someone heard about someone that had sued. Seems like someone would have by now.
Even if you hadn't opted out by their deadline i don't see how it would absolutely preclude you from filing your own case even now. Seems to me you could do it any time for any reason if you had the dough to retain an attorney.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
You're wrong, with one caveat.

If you own a gen1 or gen 2 vehicle and there is no approved fix by May, 2018, you will be informed that you have a second window (30 days, I believe) to opt out and file an action on your own.

Since you apparently own a 2015 (gen 3) GSW, there is an approved fix and you'll get no second opportunity to opt out.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if you hadn't opted out by their deadline i don't see how it would absolutely preclude you from filing your own case even now.
I guess anyone can file anything, but (at a minimum) the case would be dismissed nearly immediately, and you'd be on the hook for your attorney's fees and any court costs. The court might even decide that you should pay VW's attorney fees as well. IMO, it'd be unethical for an attorney to file such a case.

Bobman58

TDI
2015 glf sport wagon sel
Opt out

Hmmm. I suppose that's true. Just seems odd that you can decide for buyback or fix right up until you turn in the car but the door is completely shut on your legal option to sue them if you dont feel like you are getting a fair shake.

We just received the email saying that everything is accepted and we can call for an appt to have the first part of the fix. Of course we had to go get the release notarized, $40( two signitures). Seems to me like they should pay for that. I'm just wondering how much more they are going to nickel and dime me before this gets done. I fully expect there to be something that has to be fixed by the dealer, that i will have to pay for, before they can do the first fix.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>Of course we had to go get the release notarized, $40( two signitures).<snip>
I don't know whether this is SOP in CA, but anyone out here would be aghast at being charged this for a notary. When we put in our buyback papers, we just strolled into our bank, and the receptionist was a notary. I tried to show her our account number, but she didn't even care. Just notarized and signed the form, and we were on our way in 5 minutes.

DaCooter

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
I don't know whether this is SOP in CA, but anyone out here would be aghast at being charged this for a notary. When we put in our buyback papers, we just strolled into our bank, and the receptionist was a notary. I tried to show her our account number, but she didn't even care. Just notarized and signed the form, and we were on our way in 5 minutes.
IIR it was only $5 at the UPS store:)

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Some banks notarize for free if you have accounts. My bank said I was the third person they had seen that day with a VW

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know whether this is SOP in CA, but anyone out here would be aghast at being charged this for a notary.
Notary fees in CA are very high (though I didn't remember that they'd reached $20/signature). That might be partially explained by the fact that CA notaries need to be bonded, which isn't required in many other states.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
x2. This is a very common bank policy, I have never encountered any bank that didn't provide free notary services for account holders.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Free notary at Chase branches in CA that have the Private Client service setup. They never asked for my account number, although I do bank there.