emission tests - tips to pass test

billo14

TDI
2005 jetta tdi auto/stick
My 2005 Jetta TDI did NOT pass the Arizona emission test yesterday on the first attempt (was first time required). A pollutant rating (called a OPACITY), looking for a base number of 20, measured something like 27 or 47, I really forget which. IT FAILED.:mad:

Derek Scott of Exklusive (www.[B]exklusiv[/B]motorsports.com), my guru in Phoenix, recommended 1) I use the manual position of my auto/shift tranny and drive back across the city some 15 miles to the DOT testing location, and 2) DO NOT turn the car off while waiting to get into the testing stall. Derek explained the catalytic converter must be a full operating temperature when the emission test is done.

RESULTS: The drive back resulted in the RPM's in a range between 3,000 and 4,500 RPM, much higher RPM's than my normal type driving in the automatic mode. My wait for testing was just 12 minutes and I did NOT turn the engine off (first test wait was 30 to 45 minutes and had shut car off much of the time). OPACITY rating on new test = 3.9 ! .... PASSED.:)

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
For those who baby their cars, it's HIGHLY recommended to do an 'Italian Tuneup' before hitting the test station. Blow all that residual stuff out BEFORE you get there, don't leave it for the technician to do. Run a mix of at least B20 and maybe B40 or so and that will help too. Glad it all worked out for you...

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
this was even true of the gassers when we used to have tail pipe tests. now its just OBDII scans on cars 95 and newer. I dont even think they bother testing cars anymore older than that here

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
It is also true that the opacity testers require a warm up before a real test, or it will fail just about any diesel.

A couple of years ago my niece just about cried when for the second time her NB was failed with a 60% rating. I asked her if it was blowing black clouds that filled the testing station, and of course it was not. Her questions were ignored by stupid testers who would only parrot, "That's what the computer says." without thinking for even a moment what 60% opacity really means.

She eventually went to a different station where it passed with no problem.

Clearly, it is a situation where your diesel will never pass under some circumstances.

My advice to anyone being subjected to an opacity test is to INSIST that the tester be warmed up on some other car first, or at the very least have the tester warmed up for 10-15 mninutes prior to the test on your car.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Opacity test along with yearly emmisions inspections are a scam

i hated it when I lived in PA , every f***ing year , I needed to inspect my cars

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Red line the car a few times beforehand, make sure it's nice and warm when you pull in, and be sure to be running quality fuel and perhaps toss some Power Service in too.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I'm going to retract my B20-B40 statement. In a PD, it's a choice to be carefully considered by the owner. Running BioDiesel in a PD is a somewhat divisive issue. Everything else suggested here looks good.

toadz1

banned
TDI
A4
FlyTDI Guy said:
I'm going to retract my B20-B40 statement. In a PD, it's a choice to be carefully considered by the owner. Running BioDiesel in a PD is a somewhat divisive issue. Everything else suggested here looks good.
Try using the "Edit" feature for your post, lower right hand corner.