Am I the only one enjoying their '09?

Beardrick

TDI
2009 Platinum/Anthracite Jetta wagon
Picked mine up Thursday night and loving it! 09 Jetta TDi Highline wagon, Platinum / Anthracite leather, 6m. Love the feeling when you load the engine & the boost builds & builds!

NateinAA

TDI
None (yet)
coolbreeze said:
Pelican18TQA4 said:
many out there using this forum to decide on a new car purchase and as good as this car is there should be a thread to let us get that point out.:D
People like ME!

Hoping for a test drive today and I will be checking out the SE and TDI. Glad to hear so much enthusiasm for their '09 TDIs though, makes me a lot more willing to endure the "quirks".

-Nate

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
A small issue, but a factor: the 2009 MY JETTA TDI specifically has a $1,300 IRS tax CREDIT. However one of the conditions are between specific dates of purchase, which oxymoronically is subject to change. In addition after the 60,000 th, the tax credit falls from $1,300. Updates to this situation can be seen on the VW and IRS sites.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
My 09 TDI Ownership

I too wait for warmer weather to drive with open windows. The turbo whine is so music to my ears.

And as far as car enjoyment goes, after 16,500 miles since September 13 (yes I bought the TDI on the 13th), I must admit that I'm very nicely surprised. In particular, I really enjoy the driving characteristics of the vehicle; the suspension gives me enough feedback to be able to drive the vehicle at the limit of its capabilities (I will improve on that once I change the crappy OE tires to GY Assurance), the steering is very nicely set up and gives me enough feedback, brakes are also nicely set up and they are great in quick sudden stops; something that my ex-vehicle, Pontiac Vibe GT aka Toyota Matrix XRS, just could not do. Additionally, I’m really fun of the interior finish which in my opinion feels and looks like from a more expensive vehicle. Vibe GT’s finish was basically an assembly of super cheap plastics everywhere, thanks Toyota.

As far as fuel economy goes; which was the main reason in making the purchase decision, I must admit that I have a somewhat mix feeling, so far. Don’t get me wrong, comparing to Vibe GT which was getting “only” 27 to 30 mph, TDI is a great improvement. I can drive the TDI like I stole it and still get better fuel economy than 95% of folks out there :D . So far, driving at 60 to 65 mph on winterized fuel, I constantly average between 43 to 46 mpg on the highway. The city segment of my commute driving at 25 to 30 mph with way too many traffic lights, drops my overall mileage to 41 to 42.6 range. The reason for the mixed feeling is the fact that PERSONALLY I would trade the displacement and associated power for a smaller displacement, more efficient CRD engine, say 1.6 L. I did not buy my TDI to race with “rice burners” and alike; I have my Yamaha 600 FZR with 120 dB exhaust for this purpose :D . The TDI is the daily commuter and “let's get the trunk loaded with luggage and drive three states over” vehicle.

One more thing… what moron at VWoA has decided that WE/I do not want fog lights and HID lights on the TDI…:confused: He probably is driving an S-class and laughing at us all (A-hole):mad: . TDI is a long distance hauler of people, pets and stuff:D . 90% of my time I drive on interstates, including lots of night drivng, where the “OE Americanized” halogen headlights just do not seem to cut it. Then guess what moron, I’m spending all this $$$ to get what I want and VWoA is not going to get even one cent!!!:mad:

Last edited:

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I will add to this post. Aside from the radio issue that I caused (did not power the antenna), I have had no issues with this car to cause great concern. It did great on my road trip from MN to VA and back. With it getting above freezing the past two days, I am seeing over 42 mpgs...today it was 46.3 MPG on the MFD when I parked at work. I have no doubt that driving 65 mph and not being that guy who zips around that I will see 50 MPGs in the spring/summer. Unlike my 08 F350, I broke this baby in right thanks to this site's information.

There are many great options that VW put in the Jetta TDI that I have never had before due to taste in vehicle/MSRP. This car will be driven until it dies on me.

perryeyges

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2011 A3 TDI
I love how the torque builds at freeway speeds... amazing..
Has anyone gone to a cloth(K&N) Air filter yet?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
perryeyges said:
I love how the torque builds at freeway speeds... amazing..
Has anyone gone to a cloth(K&N) Air filter yet?
you do not want to do that. there are threads out there that will explain. oem filter is the ticket.:)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Turn away from the K&N filter.

nykayaker

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
800 miles and loving the car - even if the snows and road salt make it's lovely black exterior look like a flock of pigeons had their way with it, 5 minutes after getting it washed!

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
All I can say is, I sure hope I'm the only one enjoyin' my '09...otherwise them other fellers has got to start ponyin' up for some fuel....

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
DoctorDawg said:
All I can say is, I sure hope I'm the only one enjoyin' my '09...otherwise them other fellers has got to start ponyin' up for some fuel....
So tell me.... do you have these recurring exclusivity dreams often?:D :eek: . All the best, it really is a very fine effort by VW !

heuiinj

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
coolbreeze said:
you do not want to do that. there are threads out there that will explain. oem filter is the ticket.:)
Ditto! 10 years ago I did some comparison tests on a 7.3 Ford PU with K&N vs stock paper filter. The compressor wheel blades with the K&N turned dark (almost black) after about 20k miles. The compressor blades were clean with the stock paper filter after the same miles. That’s all I needed to know. :eek:

Dieselbum

TDI
'09 Jetta, Blue Graphite, DSG, 17" avignon
Love mine! Makes me want to go on a trip every weekend. Amazing how going from my truck to a car will do that.

rdkl

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Dieselbum said:
Love mine! Makes me want to go on a trip every weekend. Amazing how going from my truck to a car will do that.

I went from an F250 to the 09 Jetta as well and have to totally agree :)

Dieselbum

TDI
'09 Jetta, Blue Graphite, DSG, 17" avignon
CMB430 said:
I still miss my 08 F350 PSD, but I quickly forget it when I only put $25 in for 400+ miles of driving vs. $110 for the same distance.
That is the way I am. Plus the woman cant drive my truck (manual) so I had to do all the driving on long trips. Nice to have the option now, although have not let her drive once on a trip with the jetta. :D She gets to drive it everyday during the week though.:(

rdkl

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My wife hasn't driven the Jetta (got it in Nov) but any day now I am sure she'll take over :)

I still have the F250 but right now I am not driving it much. Last fuel up was Jan 1st.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
As a 25+ year Saab person, this is my first TDI. I'm used to the turbo rush, but the low end torque is downright like the first go-kart I drove. The Sportwagen is well built, and the big sunroof makes almost everyone who sees it jealous. Yeah, we have ****ty fuel in Alaska in winter (#1 with additives) so I'm looking forward to better fuel usage in the spring & summer.
Some mods are done - black & red GTI grille & blue tinted convex mirrors on both sides. I'm still trying to find a suitable way to install a rear fog w/o losing a back-up light. That may take a while.

Last edited:

bklynkid

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I'm loving mine. Picked it up on Jan. 2nd and have put just under 2k miles on it. The relatively cold NYC winter this year, and early miles on the car have kept me from getting good mileage but finally the past three days in ~45 degree weather I have consistently gotten 46 mpg to and from work and a longer trip. I just love this car!
This is my second VW (first new car ever) and have had zero defects (that I know about). This is something that I expected but has amazed some friends who have bought cars just to turn around two or three days later to the dealer with some sort of defect. The car is just a solid build through and through, and the Germans just know how to make a car fun to drive while being easy on the wallet (and on gas).

I could not be happier with my purchase, driving experience and overall satisfaction. :eek: :D

Last edited:

sbrendon444

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
This is the third TDI I have had and it is BY FAR the best car I have ever owned. I love driving it! I have just about 10,000 miles on it now (bought in October) and I have loved every mile.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
pawel said:
One more thing… what moron at VWoA has decided that WE/I do not want fog lights and HID lights on the TDI…:confused: He probably is driving an S-class and laughing at us all (A-hole):mad: . TDI is a long distance hauler of people, pets and stuff:D . 90% of my time I drive on interstates, including lots of night drivng, where the “OE Americanized” halogen headlights just do not seem to cut it. Then guess what moron, I’m spending all this $$$ to get what I want and VWoA is not going to get even one cent!!!:mad:
Have you tried doing the headlight adjustment at the top of the A5 section? I've found that the headlights are more than adequate whether on the highway, a back road, a long & windey road, etc. I personally would like HIDs to be made illegal, as they are blinding, either when coming toward or approaching from behind.

My average mileage is 39.5 right now, up from a "low" of 34.5, but I do at least 50% non-highway driving. The clutch has a different feel from the '02, so it took some acclimation. I have about 5 gigs of music on my 2 week old iPhone, playing through the aux jack. HD radio would be nice, but I can live without it. I opted for the mat & trunk liner kit instead of the actual iPod adapter.

Zlartibartfast

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD 2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Count me amongst the satisfied Sportwagen TDI owners. Now that I've had the Jetta for 3 1/2 months, I really appreciate the sporty handling and fuel economy ($95/month vs the $250/month my Jeep consumed).

My girlfriend likes it too ;-}

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
velociT said:
Agreed 100% Randy.

I'm glad some of you 09 owners are wannabe elitists, but you still have lots of learning to do.

Forgive me for saying:

1) If you 09 owners deserved your own forum, you'd have it.

2) I find this thread funny considering I enjoy my 06 500% more since putting on the intake/exhaust. The sound is amazing.
Mach1 said:
Another thread where the BRM guys cant post..I dont think so...This is the A5 section:D..

I will keep posting,especially in this 13th thread already about how I like my 09..How many more are we going to have? and that I am not supposed to post in??
Why is this even an issue? The OP didn't ask something general about A5s.... If someone asked a question about their automatic trans, would you tell them to learn to rev match when shifting or adjust the shifter cables?

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
make them illegal? i disagree! hid's should be made standard. what should be enforced is the proper headlight adjustment. most of the time i'm getting blinded by a "rice burners and alike" who just installed cheapo hid kits in halogen designed light housing and by pick up trucks with poorly adjusted headlights. look at european standards. almost every vehicle has hid lights available with some sort of leveling to minimize blinding of on coming traffic. if europeans can do why can't we here?

and yes, I did the adjustment of my headlights. I followed the instructions on how to re-adjust them. Still prefer hid's over halogens.

MayorDJQ said:
Have you tried doing the headlight adjustment at the top of the A5 section? I've found that the headlights are more than adequate whether on the highway, a back road, a long & windey road, etc. I personally would like HIDs to be made illegal, as they are blinding, either when coming toward or approaching from behind.

My average mileage is 39.5 right now, up from a "low" of 34.5, but I do at least 50% non-highway driving. The clutch has a different feel from the '02, so it took some acclimation. I have about 5 gigs of music on my 2 week old iPhone, playing through the aux jack. HD radio would be nice, but I can live without it. I opted for the mat & trunk liner kit instead of the actual iPod adapter.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
MayorDJQ said:
Why is this even an issue? The OP didn't ask something general about A5s.... If someone asked a question about their automatic trans, would you tell them to learn to rev match when shifting or adjust the shifter cables?
My sentiments exactly :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should post useless information in Mach1's "Am I the only one enjoying their '06?" thread ;)