FAQ: 2009 - 2010 TDI-specific issues

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
I drive mine (1700) miles so far like I am out for a good time. I figure break it in like you're gonna drive it. There are many conflicting opinions on break in, as you noted.

rkskeet

TDI
Moved to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium from a 2012 Jetta TDI Manual 6 Speed
DoctorDawg... Thanks for the good info in your FAQ post.. I am a newbie to the diesel world.. Have an 09 Jetta TDI with 1800 miles on it (still wet behind the ears) and enjoying the ride and overall performance (thus far)...

Last edited:

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
Travelthere said:
In the spirit of many of the threads on this forum, may I ask, "What is the source of the posted break-in procedures?" I also notice that they were originally published in 2003. Are they still relevant to the 09 engine?
Since this question has not been answered yet, I will try.

The VW TDI engines block, pistons, rings, and crankshaft (as far as I know ) are built of the same materials and are lubricated the same way. The block is still built of cast iron (that much I know for sure). The technology and fabrication and final finishing techniques of cast iron engine blocks has not changed since they were developed in the days of steam engines. It is tried and true as they come. They are as durable as a ... well ... a cast iron block!

The basic dos and don'ts of break in has not changed either. My owner's manual for my old tech diesel tractor built in 1976 lists the same basics:
  1. normal loads for the first 20 hours.
  2. moderate use of power (75% is ideal) for the remainder of the first 100 hours
  3. very light loads or excessive idling will cause cylinder glazing and the engine may never break in
  4. no excessive rpm
  5. less than ideal use of power results in longer break-in time.
The significant difference is that a TDI car with its turbo is much more easily loaded than a normally aspirated tractor. A car naturally goes through a comparatively wide range of rpms and loads in short period of time. In other words, if you don't idle excessively (as in warming up a car or wait for a train) and you drive moderately, you have nothing to worry about.

Another significant difference is that the break in procedures that you refer reflect its author's driving style and his manual transmission. It works for him very well. It is my opinion that manually forcing a 2009 DSG equipped TDI to those high rpms that those procedures suggest is not helpful; but if you want to drive like that for the rest of the car's life, they don't do any harm. On the other hand, I am of the opinion they may wear in a car in a way that is not optimal if you wish to drive normally as the DSG designer intended. Every motor wears in differently depending how it is operated. It is important to not change that radically during it life.

Another thought to think about, the breaking-in process is all a part of wearing it in which is no different that wearing it out. As long as you don't abuse the engine in the process, you will get to the same mechanical outcome no matter what you do. There is no point rushing it or fretting about it too much.:eek:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've searched but have been unable to find the anwer. An indy did my 10k mile oil change, but neither he nor I can find the procedure to turn off the "maintenance now" alert. This again on an 09 TDI. I want the version that does not require a VAG-com, please. TIA.

Last edited:

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Air-bag Count

While waiting for my wife today, I passed some time counting airbags (Yeah, small things for small minds) and if all things that say "airbag" are really airbags, it just might pretty exciting in there if they all went off. I counted one in the dashboard, one in the steering wheel, two in the "A" pillar, Two in the front seats Two in the "B" pillar and two in the back seat. Is that right or do they just like the airbag emblem?:confused:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Re: airbags.
My sister-in-law rolled her Beetle (2001?) down an embankment, onto what I believe is called "rip-rap", the large rocks used stabilize the areas around raised highways. She ended up upside down, hanging from her seat-belt. Managed to reach her purse/cell phone with her foot, phoned my brother to tell her where she was.
Took more than 45 minutes to find the car, as my brother and the EM personnel drove several times past where she left the highway...there was no indication where she had left the road.

Every bag deployed. The car was totaled. She walked away, after they got her out of the car.

Their comment? The Beetle is the safest car on the road.

Not sure how a Jetta would have done, but the "total body impact pillow" concept is comforting!

JayDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan DSG Black
For FAQ number 17 that was originally posted by DoctorDawg:

---

17. Q: Hey, I can't hear my turbo! What's up with that?
A: What's that you say? I couldn't hear you over the awesome scream of my turbo. No, actually, most of us can't hear our '09 turbos; they're scary-quiet...and those of us with long turbodiesel experience in other vehicles kinda miss it. But it's one heckuva turbo anyways (puts out 22 PSI, stock), and it sure gets the job done. Think of it as the strong, silent type.

---

I can faintly hear my turbo whine when I am driving in the parking lot (slight accelerations and coasting down on first gear). I started noticing the sound after my TDI hit 3000 miles on the odo. Before the 3000 mark I do not recall hearing the slight turbo whine. I know the TDIs will get louder (diesel clack) as the motor breaks in; but is it normal that I can hear a faint whine of the turbo? I am probably being slightly paranoid but the sound is pretty cool to kinda hear the turbo whine from that CR motor though. :)

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it just keeps getting louder. Some folks here have mentioned that they can kinda sorta hear their '09 turbos, particularly when driving past a Jersey wall or other reflecting surface. Some folks have better hearing than other folks. Its just that compared to old-school turbos it is really, really quiet. In my old Dodge Cummins, the turbo is pretty much all you can hear.

JayDiesel

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan DSG Black
DoctorDawg said:
I wouldn't be concerned about it unless it just keeps getting louder. Some folks here have mentioned that they can kinda sorta hear their '09 turbos, particularly when driving past a Jersey wall or other reflecting surface. Some folks have better hearing than other folks. Its just that compared to old-school turbos it is really, really quiet. In my old Dodge Cummins, the turbo is pretty much all you can hear.
Thanks DoctorDawg for the response and confirmation. :) Yea it does not get louder and sometimes I have to really try to listen for it at times.The way you describe how people kinda hear the turbo based on a particular instance and how hearing may be better than some others is exactly what I was thinking also. By they way, I came across a few Dodge Cummins and older TDIs where I commute and I have to say that turbo sound those make is pretty sweet. :D

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
TPMS Mystery

I understand what the tire pressure monitoring system does but can anyone tell how they work? Are there tiny little batteries to supply power or is there some really freakie things going on that I shouldn't be asking about? Are they a thing that can be repaired or serviced? I'm not about to take one apart but I am curious.:confused:

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
The sensors are wireless transmitters that have small lithium batteries in them that last 5-7 years. They transmit a radio signal to the cars computer which decodes it into a PSI reading and compares that reading to a base line value. If less than the base line, it triggers a "low air" indication on your dashboard.

When the battery dies, you buy a new sensor as they do NOT have user serviceable parts. Sensors can be bought on eBay or vwwvortex. Cost around $80 - $100.

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
TPMS Mystery

Thank you sir, I am now informed. With a useful life of 5-7 years, they just might out- last me.:D

Last edited:

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Name that thing

In the center of the dashboard forward of the outlet for the diverted air flow there is a object that is molded into the plastic. It almost looks like a handle for removing the grill but offers no grip or advantage for that purpose.
When I was suffering through the VW reps presentation of the cars features before they would give me the keys, I heard him to state that it was an antenna for the radio. I was not aware enough to "throw the BS flag" on him at the time so I just let it go. Is that thing any thing other than a place to collect dust or is it serving some purpose?;)

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
geezerb said:
In the center of the dashboard forward of the outlet for the diverted air flow there is a object that is molded into the plastic. It almost looks like a handle for removing the grill but offers no grip or advantage for that purpose.
When I was suffering through the VW reps presentation of the cars features before they would give me the keys, I heard him to state that it was an antenna for the radio. I was not aware enough to "throw the BS flag" on him at the time so I just let it go. Is that thing any thing other than a place to collect dust or is it serving some purpose?;)
I believe that what you are referring to is a temperature sensor. It is under the windshield to measure the "heat load" caused by the sun. There is an outside air temp sensor, and inside air temp sensor and this "sun load" temp sensor on the dashboard. This is all part of the electronically controlled air conditioning system. Very fancy electronics is part of your new VW.

Have fun!

Last edited:

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
Name that thing

JSWTDI09 said:
I believe that what you are referriing to is a temperature sensor. It is under the windshield to measure the "heat load" caused by the sun. There is an outside air temp sensor, and inside air temp sensor and this "sun load" temp sensor on the dashboard. This is all part of the electronically controlled air conditioning system. Very fancy electronics is part of your new VW.

Have fun!
Now that I know what that thing actually is, I would go back and throw the flag. Unfortunately, the dork was canned a few days later. (I hope he is not sowing that knowledge in some other dealership):D

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
There's a sensor there if you have the Climatronic system. It's just a block off if you have the Climatic system.

krsone

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, manual, blue graphite
So I've looked around the forums for some mention of this but haven't found anything: Is the EGR modification/calibration necessary for the new 2009s? If so, how soon are you supposed to get this done before it does permanent damage?
Thanks!

Last edited:

geezerb

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan Manual
2009 TDI specific issues

With my old 2002 NB TDI, on start up the glow plug indicator took a few (maybe 4 or 5 sec) to signal okay. With my 2009 the light stays on for just a very short time. Granted, it has not been anywhere near cool here as yet but what length of time should the glow plugs stay on? I'm sure that I can adjust this time with the VAGCOM but I don't want to mess with it if it's already working as it should.:confused:

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
geezer, my '09 sure hasn't seen a Montana winter, but I can say that at 15*F last winter my glow plug light was never on more'n about 2 seconds. In spring/summer/fall I can hardly see the light. The new glow plugs are apparently very efficient (and at $200 apiece they damn well better be!) and the CBEA engine is brilliant at starting up fast and smooth in the cold. I think your glow plugs are behaving per design. I would advise against adjusting their timing.