MN Chat Thread

purtle06

TDI
06 JettaTdi Pkg2
Repair shops, other than dealers?

Hi guys I am fairly new to the forum. I have a 06 Jetta Tdi and I am looking for somewhere other than the dealer to take a look at a weird noise i am having. Any suggestions in the TC metro area?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
purtle06 said:
Hi guys I am fairly new to the forum. I have a 06 Jetta Tdi and I am looking for somewhere other than the dealer to take a look at a weird noise i am having. Any suggestions in the TC metro area?
Contact one of these guys:
Nick - username "greengeeker"

or Eric - username "merkerguitars"

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
hey guys.

my dad is returning back to MN with his "new" 04 jetta - the "rocketships" ;)

i just did a bunch of work on it - dieselgeek panzer plate & bypass filter, zerostart heater, pd150 oil cooler, asphericals, splash guards, monster mats, heated seat swap (haven't done the wiring yet), HID micro DE driving lights, fm100 fuel filter setup, ... anyways, he is driving home from new england now and just got a CEL (i scanned his car before & after all the work, and prior to leaving and all was good). car drives fine i'm sure it's something simple - anyone in the west metro willing to pop over to long lake and give his car a VCDS quick scan and see what's up? else i'll send him to autozone, but i'd rather a "real" scan be done :)

i'll pm greengeeker

thanks

rwwong

TDI
NA
Is there anyone in the Minneapolis or St. Paul that can reset an Airbag fault. I installed a new Headunit stereo yesterday, unhooked the airbag light on the faceplate and started the ignition without plugging it back in. Needless to say, I now have the Airbag light on the dash. Would appreciate some help!

beckerjb

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

I am new here as a registered user, but I've been a lurker since 2006 when my partner and I bought a "pre-owned" black 2004 Jetta TDI in from a local dealership. It was beautiful and only had 57,000 miles on it. We were in love.

We love our black 2004, but were totally excited for the new "Clean" VW diesels. In September and October of 2008 we spent a bunch of time at dealerships looking at the new 2009 Jetta TDIs and were considering buying one. At that point we decided that the 2009 TDI models were a little too expensive. Since we have been so satisfied with the 2004 we decided not to buy.

We have been having it serviced regularly at The Volkswagon Man in Minneapolis.

Fast-forward through the economic crisis of the past several months and we looked into the 2009 models again in March. VW was offering good incentives. We purchased a new black 2009 Jetta TDI and got what we thought was a reasonable deal.

While we would love to keep both, we have to sell our 2004 Jetta to help pay for the new one. If anyone is interested in looking you can see our 2004 at http://jettatdi.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Sighting starting in St. Joseph MN and ending in Waite Park: White A4 Jetta with FMIC smoking like a train off the line. Leaving my Dad's house in Saint Joseph he must have seen my TDI badge as he passed me as I was waiting to go. He downshifted for a big puff of black smoke. So when we made the first turn together with me behind, of course we both mashed it to the floor and I stayed with him in the smoke screen.

Then on the straight stretch on 75, we took off from the light and hit 110mph. I figure he has larger injectors causing the smoke, but he was not able to walk away from me nor could I gain on him; we both shifted at identical times. Gotta love RC3 and PP520's. :)

Anyone know who's car this is. I am curious what he is running.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I have never seen that car...thankfully I think. He would embarrass me since I have nothing to back up my all red TDI badge just yet. :eek:

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
And my car is a classic stealth tdi with only a small Rocketchip.com decal on my rear driver's side window. The next step up would be a FMIC for me but that would give me away for sure.

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
biodiesel in MN

Hi Folks-

Like many of you, I've dreamed and dabbled in homebrew biodiesel and I've been wondering lately why the biodiesel coop concept hasn't taken off here in the Metro yet. Is it because there really isn't enough interest to make it viable or supported? Or is there not enough free grease to go around?

Other places around the country have made it work, but not after a lot of hard work and heavy lifting. I believe we could do it here. I'm just surprised we haven't yet.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this and any experiences you've had with making your own in MN!

I've started a new thread if you there's enough interest in discussing this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=2528287#post2528287

-Bjorn

Last edited:

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
Present and accounted for

That would have been me that day in St. Joseph. I was actually running into some problems that day. I was leaking boost in two places, my MAF sensor wasn't reading right, I had continued to be an idiot for about a year and a half and was using a cold air intake. Two days later I bought a new stock airbox. My right headlights, high and low beam were out. I was having a hell of a week with the car with the two day old FMIC install. I hadn't trimmed any of the pipes yet (universal) so my bumper was all kinds of messed up.

The good news is. I have gotten rid of all of the boost leaks, my MAF is reading good again, I got rid of that god awful CAI, I'm doing a Stage 4 Clutch on friday, getting rid of my EGR all together and I am low on smoke. :) oh and the bumper is sitting pretty. OMI for next weekend too :)

I live in St. Joseph. I see your dad's TDI all the time, and wonder if it has anything done to it. Where do you live?

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Leppy said:
That would have been me that day in St. Joseph. I was actually running into some problems that day. I was leaking boost in two places, my MAF sensor wasn't reading right, I had continued to be an idiot for about a year and a half and was using a cold air intake. Two days later I bought a new stock airbox. My right headlights, high and low beam were out. I was having a hell of a week with the car with the two day old FMIC install. I hadn't trimmed any of the pipes yet (universal) so my bumper was all kinds of messed up.

The good news is. I have gotten rid of all of the boost leaks, my MAF is reading good again, I got rid of that god awful CAI, I'm doing a Stage 4 Clutch on friday, getting rid of my EGR all together and I am low on smoke. :) oh and the bumper is sitting pretty. OMI for next weekend too :)

I live in St. Joseph. I see your dad's TDI all the time, and wonder if it has anything done to it. Where do you live?
Give me a wave if you ever see me around town...I'm the only lifted NB around...pretty easy to spot. Don't expect any sort of race, I won't even try just yet.

What other mods do you have besides the FMIC? Turbo? Nozzles? Tuning?

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
I will definately do that. I am in the Sauk Rapids area often because I go to school at the Tech College. I don't believe i have seen yours around at all but hopefully I will get to. Maybe we can stop and chat or something.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Leppy said:
I will definately do that. I am in the Sauk Rapids area often because I go to school at the Tech College. I don't believe i have seen yours around at all but hopefully I will get to. Maybe we can stop and chat or something.
What program are you in? I graduated from the tech college in 2007, Land Surveying/Civil Engineering Technology. Great program but jobs are non-existent now.

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
Pick-ups N Powersports did it in Cold spring/Rockville. I took my car there before to get my new tubo put in and injectors, not because they know VW's very well but because they know diesels. Every time I bring my car in there with something new it is a learning expirience for them.

I stayed there all day to help put my clutch in. What a process... Took us a good six hours to get it in. But boy was it worth it.

It is a stage four from South Bend, It engages so soon it's gonna take some real getting used to. The resistance on the clutch pedal is just tough, especially after the stock one that I am so used to using.

BTW 560 FT/LBS torque rating

biggrey

TDI
99.5 Golf
Fillup with FHR Gold

First fill since the vent was removed, 14.005 gallons at Maplewood Freedom FHR Gold... works out to 35+ mpg.......

Roadtrip next weekend throughout SE MN ending in Iowa and then back to St Paul..that'll give me an idea of road mpg right?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
It should but you likely won't run through the entire tank (you should be able to put in 16-17 gallons). Evenso, fill up when you get back and you'll have a good idea of your highway mileage.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Is Minnesota still on track to up the bio content from B2 to B5 on May 1st of this year ?

A Google search is not pulling anything up that is recent new on this.