2019 Chevy Silverado 3.0L I-6 diesel

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I'm really curious as to whether or not the 3.0 inline 6 was designed in house. The usual suspects (VM and Isuzu) do not have an engine like that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I love inline 6s. Only owned two, the 335d and a Volvo years ago. But they're very smooth. Needless to say, at IDParts we're thrilled to see more diesels.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I’m betting the engine will come out of the same plant in Thailand as makes the 2.8l Duramax.

BrBa

TDI
2010 Jetta - so long friend!
Of all the half ton or smaller trucks with diesels (Colorado), I gotta say a Chevy/GMC 1500 would interest me the most. Going to have to start watching this one. I haven't heard much news good or bad about the 2.8L duramax, but it's probably a good assumption.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The person I asked about this engine at the NAIAS this weekend knew about it but had very little info. Her cancer breath was so revolting I was not able to stand talking to her beyond just a couple questions though. Seriously, Chevy, don't put representatives for your product out there that smell like an ashtray and paint peeling halitosis. I know rednecks like your trucks, but not all of us are addicted to nicotine. :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That article's comments are irritating because the include several posts referring to the 2.8L Duramax as a VM Motori engine. The only thing the Duramax has in common with the VM engine is displacement. It's entirely different, from a different continent, even. But for some reason people think it's the same.

oilhammer

TDI
GM based it off the same design though. It is not entirely new. It probably shares virtually no parts though.

Like Rover using the old aluminum block Buick V8 for decades after GM gave up on it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Let me pose this question another way. If GM is building the I6 in Flint, will they also start building the 2.8l 4 cyl for the Colorado/Canyon in Flint? It might improve the take rate of both diesels to have local manufacturing and not limit the total number of engines for the North American market.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That article's comments are irritating because the include several posts referring to the 2.8L Duramax as a VM Motori engine. The only thing the Duramax has in common with the VM engine is displacement. It's entirely different, from a different continent, even. But for some reason people think it's the same.
My same thoughts when reading the comments. Makes one doubt the whole article and comments thread when the basic information is wrong.

oilhammer

TDI
Let me pose this question another way. If GM is building the I6 in Flint, will they also start building the 2.8l 4 cyl for the Colorado/Canyon in Flint? It might improve the take rate of both diesels to have local manufacturing and not limit the total number of engines for the North American market.
The 4cyl is largely for use in other markets. Probably most popular outside the US. Plus, if it is [most likely] an entirely different family of engines, there may not be any feasible way to build both at the same facility. Remember, the Colorado is also being built in Thailand too. Given the fact that most of the diesels go into trucks built THERE, and very few come to trucks built HERE, it would not make any sense to make the engines here.

Given the one in Thailand is new or at least mostly new to take on the 2.8L 4 cyl I doubt they would scrap that and move production to a more costly site like Michigan.

The inline 6 is perhaps more targeted at JUST the North American market, which makes sense since that is where the Silverado is largely sold anyway. The Silverado is not built anywhere outside North America.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Refining the design is a good thing. The 2.8L in the Liberty CRD isn't the best engine out there.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Cadillac?

I'm really curious as to whether or not the 3.0 inline 6 was designed in house. The usual suspects (VM and Isuzu) do not have an engine like that.
A GM supplier said 3.0L diesel was part of a diesel program for Cadillac. 3L was/is destined for Cadillac SUV. Opel was the lead on design. Since Opel has no 3L diesel I'm skeptical. Perhaps PSA did not continue the program since they already have 3L Lion diesel. Also, Europe has less diesel enthusiasm of late.

oilhammer

TDI
Didn't BMW and Opel produce a 2.5L then later 3.0L diesel engine together? Or is that a BMW engine that Opel used?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe the the new 3.0 I6 was completely designed in house at GM. Interestingly, the 10 speed automatic trans. that it's bolted to was a collaborative effort between Ford and GM.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, as was the FWD 6sp slushbox that came out almost a decade ago. They (GM and Ford) ran into each other in Japan at Aisin buying the same 6sp FWD slushbox from them, and said "Hey, ya know....". :)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Didn't BMW and Opel produce a 2.5L then later 3.0L diesel engine together? Or is that a BMW engine that Opel used?
The Omega's "Y25DT" was a BMW M57D25 with slightly different settings for camshaft timing and a bit less power.
Here's all the 2.5 diesel Omegas for sale on Autoscout:
https://www.autoscout24.com/results...from=110&atype=C&ustate=N,U&sort=price&desc=0

This one has a picture of the engine bay:
https://www.autoscout24.com/offers/...e235361-e535-c547-e053-e350040a8cf9?cldtidx=8

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the outlook in Europe for diesels?

jbg

TDI
2010 JSWagen TDI
Somewhere on the net I read a good article on all the changes GM made (as well as changes VM has made since we saw them in the Liberty). They seem to be independently refining the basic design.
Oilhammer,

Would you happen to know where this article is? i was searching for information on the evolution of the VM R428 but came up short.

Hwycruiser

TDI
GM and their subsidary Detroit Diesel (at the time) owned a portion of VM Motri years ago so its not a far reach to figure the engine designs are similar.