www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 10th, 2018, 13:28   #1321
Jkhalil123

TDI(s): jetta

TDI Salvage title group 4 anything new please
Jkhalil123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 13:32   #1322
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

"Group 4: Vehicles bought from junk yards/insurance auctions after Sept 18, 2015 and not rebuilt before Feb 26, 2018: Nada, you're SOL."
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2018, 17:43   #1323
halbert
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhalil123 View Post
TDI Salvage title group 4 anything new please
How much cash do you have on the line? Cuz you might as well call copart and see what they'll offer for the cars.
halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 06:16   #1324
mirtdi

TDI(s): 10 Jetta
Default cars

Or he can fix them and sell at profit as many re-builders have done over the years and will continue to do so. These are great cars that get exceptional gas mileage, with so many being crushed once all the dust clears will be sought after in the future.

Many people do not like that others have profited on this, if everyone had the funds to do so, pretty sure they would have done so as well. Vw profited on these cars despite advising the public these where clean, deliberately altering the software to run in emissions mode on a dyno. I will not be giving them any sympathy if others profit in a settlement that they agreed to so quick as to not incur more legal fees among other things in my opinion. Poor little vw has to pay what they agreed to in the first place, really enough already. They are the biggest auto manufacturer in the world, they can afford it and need to do the right thing not drag out any longer.

Unfortunately Halbert and others who have a car with accident history are stuck until they can go over the paperwork, all it was to slow pay ensure more cars were not rebuilt. Why they didnt buy all the cars from the insured parties if in an accident or at auction is a mystery to me. Anyways glad this has been for this time settled, lets see what other tricks that they pull on turn in or later this year.
mirtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 07:22   #1325
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Based on the discussions in this thread alone it's becoming clear to me why VW is taking their time to process these vehicles and I don't think it's nefarious in any way.

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:33   #1326
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtdi View Post
Many people do not like that others have profited on this, if everyone had the funds to do so, pretty sure they would have done so as well.
It was pretty obvious that the generation one 3.0 was going to get bought back, and they were still cheap up until a few weeks before the announcement. I had the money to invest and decided not to jump in because it still seemed risky and I have learned I am a risk averse investor at heart. I have no ill will toward people who profited, but those people have to understand that this was not a risk free venture.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 09:43   #1327
Brica

TDI(s): Passat

Anybody got any idea when Vw supposed to start buying rebuild titles.
I call claim number and still no time frame.
Brica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 12:21   #1328
drsven
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
It was pretty obvious that the generation one 3.0 was going to get bought back, and they were still cheap up until a few weeks before the announcement. I had the money to invest and decided not to jump in because it still seemed risky and I have learned I am a risk averse investor at heart. I have no ill will toward people who profited, but those people have to understand that this was not a risk free venture.
CPRT stock price seems to be doing quite well.
drsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 13:19   #1329
jeffcapp99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brica View Post
Anybody got any idea when Vw supposed to start buying rebuild titles.
I call claim number and still no time frame.
It is a good question Brica.

To say VW did not hire the best and brightest is an understatement. I feel as though they went with low bid for anyone in Detroit that needed a job. Everytime I call I get nothing but frustration as the hired help there is clueless.

I have not gotten any documents from VW since the salvage claims were unfrozen two weeks ago.

VW has violated all their internal deadlines of 1st 10 days and 2nd 10 days for most of my claims (clean titles) so I would not be surprised if they also miss their 'early May' deadline for these.

I do not know if it is incompetence or willful that VW pushes out these claims. My guess is the latter.
jeffcapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 13:43   #1330
Old Chief

Default One Rebuilt Accepted

One rebuilt title has been accepted. Now doing the notary part, then scheduling the turn-in. Also 2 clean titles were accepted this past week.
Old Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 13:46   #1331
jeffcapp99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
One rebuilt title has been accepted. Now doing the notary part, then scheduling the turn-in. Also 2 clean titles were accepted this past week.
Good news to hear they accepted a rebuilt title! Thanks for update Old Chief!
jeffcapp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 14:21   #1332
fookin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3

Quote:
You mean accepted for buyback - restitution or "value"?
fookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 14:22   #1333
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Excellent, 2.0 or 3.0? When did you first submit?

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 16:40   #1334
halbert
Veteran Member

As I was writing the appeal letter, I looked again at the offer letter--that was delivered by FedEx on Friday March 9--and noted that the letter was written on December 17, 2016!

Just how far is their arrogance going to go? So they prepare what may be an incorrect offer letter 2 months before a report is published that lays out their plan--send the letter shortly after the plan is released, and assume that I haven't read the report? I wonder how many people are going to get caught in this little game?

So the appeal letter is going out, US Mail, return receipt request, tomorrow. We'll see what happens next.
halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 00:17   #1335
mrahul

TDI(s): 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fookin View Post
"Vehicle value" + "restitution" = "buyback". I write that because the FTC tables use that term with restitution included. I'm not sure why they're not offering him vehicle value. According to the below this person can get the fix or turn in for vehicle value.

Page 40 of the Feb 2018 claims supervisor report... https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...Supervisor.pdf
(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a “salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value.

Also footnote 35 on same page... "have the option of electing an AEM."

I'm also assuming for California that iii means Owners of used vehicles that were purchase at an auction lot and received a salvage certificate and had a branded title on Feb 26... In California your title gets branded "salvage" if you restored a wrecked car that came with a bill of sale and a salvage certificate. A branded title with the brand "salvage" in Ca means it's running, licensed, inspected, registered, and driving on roads.
Does the Feb 26, 2018 cut off date apply to 2.0 or 3.0 or both? The reason I ask is because, any 3.0 had to have a rebuilt title to be bought back. They could not be returned with a salvage title. That was a change in the definition of eligible car from the 2.0 language. So am wondering if the new cut off date was added to the 3.0 too.
mrahul is offline   Reply With Quote