www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old March 6th, 2018, 21:31   #1276
Brica

TDI(s): Passat

I got a email from Vw

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.

Purchase the car with salvage title Ian 2017
Rebuilt car and title feb 2017
Open claim and provided all documents in mar 2017
After almost One year I got this answer and the claim has been erased from my portal.
The reason I’m not the member of class is because the car was open lease in 2016
Can somebody make me understand what’s going on
Thank you
Brica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 21:50   #1277
drsven
Veteran Member

Default VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

Was the vehicle totaled while in an active VW lease?
drsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 22:20   #1278
Brica

TDI(s): Passat

I don’t know
Brica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 22:45   #1279
drsven
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brica View Post
I donít know
They seem to be playing hardball with salvaged cars which were totaled during an active VW lease, or where the eligible lessee never became an eligible owner. Their position seems to be that an eligible lessee was never entitled to a buyback. I would certainly appeal this decision with the CRC.

This is from the original settlement benefits booklet:

SETTLEMENT PAYMENTS TO LESSEES
The tables below show the range of possible payment amounts to lessees under the Class Action Settlement. The amount you will be offered depends on your carís model year, model, trim level, and factory options. The amount you will be offered will be the same whether you choose a Lease Termination or an Approved Emissions Modification or no longer have an active lease. The Approved Emissions Modification option will only be available if a modification is approved by the EPA and CARB.
These tables assume that you had a leased car with VW Credit, Inc. when the emissions accusations became public on September 18, 2015 and that you did not purchase that car on or before June 28, 2016. If you purchased your leased car on or before June 28, 2016, then you are considered an owner and should use the tables on the previous two pages to find your payment range.
Old March 6th, 2018, 22:50   #1280
drsven
Veteran Member

https://www.emichvw.com/vw-tdi-diesel-information.html

Found a copy online as well... scroll down about half way to see the 2.0L tables.
Old March 7th, 2018, 11:49   #1281
fookin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsven View Post
Was the vehicle totaled while in an active VW lease?
Why would it matter if a prior owner was a lessee or not and whether or not that lessee received restitution or not? I don't read that condition anywhere nor do I understand the logic behind it. The new owner of the car that was purchased at auction and restored/titled should be eligible as per (iii) of page 40 of the Feb Claims Supervisor Report.
fookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 11:58   #1282
fookin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brica View Post
I got a email from Vw
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.
Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.
Purchase the car with salvage title Ian 2017
Rebuilt car and title feb 2017
Open claim and provided all documents in mar 2017
After almost One year I got this answer and the claim has been erased from my portal.
The reason Iím not the member of class is because the car was open lease in 2016
Can somebody make me understand whatís going on
Thank you
I'm wondering how I would know this to be an issue for me as well?
I bought a 2012 2.0 A3 at auction in Jan 2017.
Rebuilt and registered in March 2017.
Claim on step 15 since March 2017.
Is there a way to find out if prior owner was in an open lease? The car's history report doesn't indicate Audi as the owner or lien holder in any context. The claims website admins have told me already the prior owner has filed for restitution so does that indicate in some way their lesee status?
fookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 14:15   #1283
Jkhalil123

TDI(s): golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujames View Post
For those that fall into this category iv with vehicle(s) with salvage titles (not rebuilt), are you seeking legal representation? If yes, based on what real ground?
....hi anything new?
Jkhalil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:18   #1284
halbert
Veteran Member

Recieved fedex package at home today (wife opened): Offering $6800 restitution because vehicle is inoperable. What is the definition of operable? It USED to be that the engine would run and it would move under it's own power. What is it now? Sounds like appeal time (On the other hand, I'm tempted to call Copart and have them make an offer)
halbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:47   #1285
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

For some salvage cars, it seems to be repaired and registered for road use by a certain date, now.
Old March 8th, 2018, 14:37   #1286
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by halbert View Post
Recieved fedex package at home today (wife opened): Offering $6800 restitution because vehicle is inoperable. What is the definition of operable? It USED to be that the engine would run and it would move under it's own power. What is it now? Sounds like appeal time (On the other hand, I'm tempted to call Copart and have them make an offer)
2.0, 3.0? What is the hx behind your claim? Was it ineligible and sent to CRC?

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 14:54   #1287
fredthe
Veteran Member

The cars coming off of lease do present an interesting problem. If they were operable at lease termination then VW would need to do the emissions fix before reselling them, anything else is a violation of the agreement. The problem is if the lease was terminated because they were totaled. Presumably VW should have scrapped them... but it looks like they just went to the auction yards. It will likely take an appeal or further legal action, but VW may have put itself in a bad position by allowing cars back on the road that they shouldn't have. I would suggest that any appeal point out that VW still has the obligation (by the spirit of the agreement) to get them off the road (buyback) or fix them, based on the owner's preference.

fredthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 16:20   #1288
halbert
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
2.0, 3.0? What is the hx behind your claim? Was it ineligible and sent to CRC?
2.0, '14 JSW. Purchased new in June '14. In accident 11/25/16, insurance totaled but never transferred title to insurance. Kept possession based on original settlement info. Holds certificate of salvage (not registerable) in PA. In limbo for a year.

Based on the 'group 2' reading of the Feb 26 document, the crux is the definition of operable. Otherwise I am original owner, accident after Sept 18, 2015.

Second question: do I have to surrender the vehicle to VW for original owner restitution?
Old March 8th, 2018, 16:21   #1289
bizzle
Veteran Member

If you can't register it, it's not considered operable.
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2018, 16:44   #1290
halbert
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzle View Post
If you can't register it, it's not considered operable.
Which is a change from the original settlement language. Sigh.

How can I find out if I have to actually surrender the vehicle? Which means paying for a tow to the dealer for no good reason. The letter implies it when it talks about surrendering for buyback...but doesn't really say anything about the restitution payment requirement.