intermittent limp mode

quick6black

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
i am trying to diagnose intermittent problems on my 1998 jetta tdi. I have 282xxx miles and cleaned the manifold, replaced some vaccum lines, also replaced the N75, and the hose in the ecu. i can drive for a hour and have boost, and sometimes i can drive for 5 minutes and go into limp mode. I also checked the waste gate actuator and it is free and moving. My car has an upsolute chip and has a lot of smoke under boost. I also have some white smoke on startup and some white smoke during normal driving conditions. I brought the car with 218xxx miles and mostly everything is original including the turbo, injectors, clutch. Any thoughts on why my car goes into limp mode and why is smokes so mutch?

quick6black

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Appreciate the response. i did read through the article, found some helpful advise. I will need to do a compression check on each cylinder. How ofter should the nozzles be replaced?

Bopper

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta GLS Tornado Red
The Cage Mod

My car has nowhere near the experience your car has in regards to mileage. Around a month or so ago my car went into an intermittent limp mode and after some troubleshooting I came across "THE CAGE MOD" (Dielectric Grease).
I squirted Dielectric grease on every electonic plug I could get to. As silly as it seems my car has been flawless since.