2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How did you figure out where it was of of the photo? That is pretty clever!

Yeah, it did go up to $2.18 by noon yesterday. And the Circle K Shell near the Interstate I drive past every day has it for $2.44. You'd think that one would be close to the same price, but it sure seems like fuel prices vary a lot and change a lot.

I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but I find it odd that nothing else consumer product wise does this wild fluctuation. I worked in a major grocery store chain for seven years, and price changes were not that crazy, ever. On anything. You'd never see a can of peas for $1.22 in the morning then see it at $1.30 in the evening then back down to $1.05 the next day. And building supplies (of which I have had a lot of experience, too) never seems to vary this much in this short of a time span either.

Probably why the gas stations need the digital price boards. :p

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
How did you figure out where it was of of the photo? That is pretty clever!
Thanks! I searched the Internet from the street sign in the picture, got the address, and plugged the zip code into GasBuddy. Ha, what a country!
Yeah, it did go up to $2.18 by noon yesterday. And the Circle K Shell near the Interstate I drive past every day has it for $2.44. You'd think that one would be close to the same price, but it sure seems like fuel prices vary a lot and change a lot.
I'm sure there is a good reason for it, but I find it odd that nothing else consumer product wise does this wild fluctuation. I worked in a major grocery store chain for seven years, and price changes were not that crazy, ever. On anything. You'd never see a can of peas for $1.22 in the morning then see it at $1.30 in the evening then back down to $1.05 the next day. And building supplies (of which I have had a lot of experience, too) never seems to vary this much in this short of a time span either.
Probably why the gas stations need the digital price boards. :p
When I looked for an apartment to rent 3 years ago, one place couldn't give me a price until I signed on the dotted line: their investors were looking for a certain return. I refused to be the one to benefit their "investors" and got an apartment with an old-fashioned monthly payment "up front."

With everything price-wise like you say, not unlike hotel room charges, airline ticket prices, etc. it seems that super-computers like Watson as well as a class of elite Math people called actuarials now have prices on fuel corresponding to the time of day, market, mood etc. milking the most out of consumers.

You need a Math degree or MIT diploma to keep up with this stuff... ha ha.

TM

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think fuel pricing at the station level is nearly as complex as airline, hotel, or rental car pricing. I think the prices fluctuate based on the cost of the last fuel delivery. People price shop and margins are slim so a station can't hold a stable price unless the cost of the fuel they purchase is stable.

I tend not to think much about fuel costs. In the broader scheme of things auto fuel isn't a big expense. Home heating oil? That's another matter.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
BTW, I'm super jealous of St. Louis pricing now. I recently filled up in NY for $3.16 - a whole dollar different. :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Missouri is a pretty inexpensive place to live, thankfully. But I suppose it is all relative to whatever the average income in any given area is.

One of my customers, who moved here from the New England area (and was told about me from someone here... thank you!), said that he was shocked how cheap it is to heat/cool a house. He came from a few winters in a row of some crazy high home heating oil bills. Our electric is low, and natural gas (where available) is reasonably low too. So low, that geothermal systems are not a big seller here, even though we have a pretty good climate to take advantage of them. It seems to many, when it is cheap and convenient to be wasteful, then it is OK to be wasteful. :(

Real estate is the other shocker for me, having lived in the same area all my life. I watch some of these home improvement shows and my jaw comes unhinged at just how much people have to spend for a house in some areas. And I know some people who are paying more for rent than my mortgage, and my house is bigger, nicer, and on a chunk of land with no neighbors and a garage.

But still, even with "cheap" fuel prices here in general, I still prefer to drive the most fuel efficient car I can, just because.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I don't think fuel pricing at the station level is nearly as complex as airline, hotel, or rental car pricing. I think the prices fluctuate based on the cost of the last fuel delivery. People price shop and margins are slim so a station can't hold a stable price unless the cost of the fuel they purchase is stable.

I tend not to think much about fuel costs. In the broader scheme of things auto fuel isn't a big expense. Home heating oil? That's another matter.
No its not as complex.

But those of us that pay attention as a hobby (I'll admit it) see fluctuations on the same day, up and down, and sometimes more around weekend travel time (vs commuting days). Fuel delivery is at best every 2-3 weeks at such stations if not less often (I also notice these things, ha ha). Maybe the station owners are just having fun too.....

TM

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Real estate is the other shocker for me, having lived in the same area all my life. I watch some of these home improvement shows and my jaw comes unhinged at just how much people have to spend for a house in some areas.
That made me chuckle as my wife and I have precisely the same reaction but for the opposite reason - it's downright affordable in some places! (And you'd likely cringe at the real estate taxes up here.) :eek:

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI

It fluctuates on the cost to REFILL the storage tank, the fuel in the tank is already bought and paid for.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
So I take it there isn't much interest in the Hyundai diesel. Lol.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No its not as complex.

But those of us that pay attention as a hobby (I'll admit it) see fluctuations on the same day, up and down, and sometimes more around weekend travel time (vs commuting days). Fuel delivery is at best every 2-3 weeks at such stations if not less often (I also notice these things, ha ha). Maybe the station owners are just having fun too.....

TM
In NC, it’s illegal for the stations to change price more than one time in 24 hours. Supposedly keeps price gouging during hurricanes in check.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
So I take it there isn't much interest in the Hyundai diesel. Lol.
Doesn't look like it...

And if guys think there's expensive houses in some places in the states, come to Toronto or Vancouver sometime, your Jaws will drop... Also, premium gas in Vancouver is around the 1.75 Cad mark, or 6.62 a gallon Cad. You guys stil have it very cheap

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What would get Americans' attention more than prices is that mortgage interest is not deductible on your income taxes, if I'm not mistaken.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What would get Americans' attention more than prices is that mortgage interest is not deductible on your income taxes, if I'm not mistaken.
Was going to add this point - I guess the advantage of buying a home in Canada relies more on appreciation than the tax benefit we have in the US. Well, that and the pride of ownership...

Didn't know about the 20-year max. There was a time when a 40-year mortgage was an available product here (maybe still is).

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
Wow. Those prices are amazing. Out here in the central coast of California, the cheapest Diesel fuel is usually a Valero station about a mile from my house, and a few days ago I filled up at $3.58. It runs from that up to about $4 per gallon, and prices have been pretty stable for the last few months. But even with the higher fuel costs, I'd still rather be driving my Jetta than the Prius I had previously.

I console myself with the knowledge that California requires a minimum 53 cetane rating, or so I've read.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
5 year 60k mile bumper to bumper, 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty is nice to have on the diesel in the event of pricey mechanical failures. Emissions and injection systems are complex and expensive on these modern diesels.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Probably never, just like the Mazda diesels that have been coming for the last 5 years

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Looks pretty limited for actual “truck” usage.