Trading in an Upsoluted car

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
So far to date, I have not read one person that trade in their Upsoluted TDI for something else. (Which is great!) All I have read is that the TDI got in some sort of accident and salvaged. I know most of us intend to drive it until it is no longer worth its upkeep.

The reason I am asking is that if someone has to trade in their car for whatever reason. Do you just shut up and trade it. Or do you inform the dealer that there is a mod on the ECU.

Not that I am planning on trading in my Bug but I am just curious. What I am think is the reaction of the next buyer. When one person test drives the stock TDI then wants to test drive another TDI, the driver will be either confused or "alright, it's chipped"
when comparing the two TDIs that s/he test drove.

Just wondering especially if you trade it to a non-VW dealer. Say you had to get a truck and trade in the VW for a Chevy.

Do you inform them about the chip or not?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Deaf,

Two things here:

1) Since the drivetrain/engine warranty is not transferrable it would seem to me that a performance chipped TDI in a conspicuously well-maintained car would enHANCE resale value. Let your car go cosmetically and it will likely detract resale value. As in, 'this car has obviously been driven past its limits' response.

2) This is just my personal observation, but I would like to go on the record right now with it. Assuming the '06 legislation for ultra low sulfur diesel is not diluted before coming to pass, I predict that there will be a huge up-tick in the number and variety of turbodiesel passenger cars that will become available in this market, and A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF MEMBERS HERE (despite professions to the contrary)WILL IMMEDIATELY FIND JUSTIFICATION TO BUY A NEW CAR THAT YEAR.

~BeetleGo, driven literally sootless

boyelectric

Veteran Member
I traded mine to a VW dealer (for a new TDI wagon) and never said a word. I just figured they would try to claim that because it had been modified, they couldn't give me as much for it, etc.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
BeetleGo,
This is one of the reasons why I ask. I know I am thinking WAY ahead. But for most of us here already by the time 2006 comes, the TDI is already 4-8 years old. And there is alot new flavors to choose a high-torque engines and more power with a lot of different body styles.