02 Jetta: Passenger mirror heater stuck on

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Took a drive and noticed my passenger side mirror looked foggy. After a bit more driving, it was looking charred. Seems that the mirror heater stuck on and burned up the plastic mirror.

Any tips on how to get the electrical connection to unplug the heater before it does more damage?

I tried to use the search function, but it doesn't stay open when I start typing on my phone :(

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So, the switch was off? Even if they are left on (many do), they generally just die a quiet death and will no longer work and set a DTC in the CCM.

Sounds like yours may have shorted and burnt yet didn't blow any fuses.

The mirror glass just pops off, and there are two little wires attached to it.

The mirror harness itself plugs into the door harness which is right up top once the door panel trim is removed (easy).

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I guess the switch was off. I never mess with it. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure how to turn them on and off. Push the mirror control in? I figure it would turn itself off like rear defroster? The mirror housing is cracked and a little loose. I moved it around a little inspecting where I could add some silicone (but never did). Maybe that instigated the situation? Seems odd.

oilhammer

TDI
L = LEFT

R = RIGHT

The heater symbol on a little mirror in the middle = HEATER

Pretty simple. ;)

If it is in heater position, and the key is on, it is on. It won't time out. Hence so many of these burnt out. People leave them on.

Same symbology as the seat heaters, that have the little squiggly lines on a little seat, or the rear window heater that has the little squiggly lines on a little rear window shape.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I really wish there was a way to put a timer or something on these silly mirrors. I installed asphericals and worried about burning them up too...

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
So there are 3 positions to this switch: left mirror, heater, and right mirror. And when the switch is positioned in the center, it actuates the heaters. So you have to leave the switch on either left or right mirror to not have the mirror heaters on if I understand correctly?

I've driven the car 75k since I got it about 4 years ago and always left it in the center (heater) position with no issues.

Thank you for your responses, oilhammer. Much appreciated.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, no heater means it must be left in either L or R positions.

Some of the newer cars have a different setup, with the heater being forward, and the center spot between L and R is indeed "off".

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
When I was teaching the daughter stick (on 99.5 J), she literary ripped the switch right off the door. Got a new one from the dealer (in 2002), it had an additional position for off (4 pos.). If your switch lacks that 4th position, leave it on L or R for no heat. My 03 bug only has the 3 positions.

Last edited:

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
So there are 3 positions to this switch: left mirror, heater, and right mirror. And when the switch is positioned in the center, it actuates the heaters. So you have to leave the switch on either left or right mirror to not have the mirror heaters on if I understand correctly?

I've driven the car 75k since I got it about 4 years ago and always left it in the center (heater) position with no issues.

Thank you for your responses, oilhammer. Much appreciated.

Some dumbass engineer out there was not truly an engineer. All engineers are OCD to some extent. Leaving a switch either at L or R is not reality...my OCD won't allow it (as I am an engineer as well).

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I soldered a red LED to each of the outside mirrors where the black and white wires plug in as a reminder that the heat is on. Nothing fancy, but it works. I got them at a local parts store; they are actually 12v blinking LED's, but I swapped the blinking to non-blinking.