Probably a really ignorant question but i want to confirm or not...thanks

marvinall

Veteran Member
TDI
Partial Diesel Fleet: 2002 Jetta Sedan, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI's, '02 Dodge 3/4T QCab Cummins/6 speed 4x4 Pickup....
So someone please correct me, or verify that i am correct please.

I have two 98 Beetles, one 2/98 the other 4/98 build dates. Both have ALH
TDI's. i have verified this by checking the engine code stamped on rear edge of block..

I believe that ALH was the only Diesel engine that came in a 98 Beetle. Is this correct or not? Im talking sold in the US

I also believe that all had a wastegated turbo. Is this correct or not?

Pardon my ignorance but i need clarification

Thanks

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Not waste gate turbo, variable vane turbo or variable nozzle turbo...depends on how you explain it or what emblem is on the front of the vehicle...

Yes the ALH ran through to the mid 2000s and then came the BEW

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

marvinall

Veteran Member
TDI
Partial Diesel Fleet: 2002 Jetta Sedan, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI's, '02 Dodge 3/4T QCab Cummins/6 speed 4x4 Pickup....
Thanks for the info!!!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, they did. The only confusion might originate due to the manufactured date, since the A3 chassis ('98 Jetta, Golf) used the AHU engine. But since the NB started out with the A4 chassis, they went ahead and used the new ALH engine, which included all the latest and greatest bells and whistles at that time.

Cheers,

PH

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There was a second engine very early in the 98 Beetles with a wastegated turbo. That was the AGR code engine.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've read that, has anyone every seen one?
I was reading up on it years ago and found a thread where a couple chimed in that had one. They would be 21 years old now and weren't a whole lot to start with, so there can't be many left (and those that are have probably had VNT turbos installed so the current owner may not even realize what they have)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There was both an "old" engine with a VNT turbo (AFN?) and a "new" engine with a wastegated turbo (AGR?).

Neither were ever sold here.

There was, however, very very early 1998 New Beetle ALHs that used from the factory a BW VNT. These all blew up, almost right away. VAG switched to the Garrett VNT15 unit we all know and love. But ETKA still showed that early turbo for quite a while even though it was obsoleted. Probably only a couple hundred such NBs made it here.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There was both an "old" engine with a VNT turbo (AFN?) and a "new" engine with a wastegated turbo (AGR?).
Neither were ever sold here.
Were they sold in Canada? I seem to recall that was mentioned in some of the older threads. Cars were in the US, but were originally from Canada?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't think so. The only things Canada got that we didn't of recent were the AAZ 1.9L 75hp IDI turbodiesel, and a Golf in CL trim with a Monotronic 1.8L gasser.