Tired of changing window regulator cable??????

Searcher2

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Beetle tdi
About a year ago had to replace the window regulator cable. I elected to change the entire plate with cables and guides already in place. Six months there abouts I had to change it again with one from the U-pull-It. A couple months later I replaced the cable, and now it's broke again. I checked the window for binding up and down and the only thing I found was a slight drag when the window was about an inch from the top (it didn't appear to be serious). Yesterday I heard a slight pop when the window reached the top,and I lowered it a little and raised it back up. That's when I heard the cable separate. What is the likely culprit here? I would rather repair it than get a door from a salvage vehicle that could have the same problem Unless I happen to find one that has a door card that isn't as destroyed as mine. Thanks for any ideas.

Searcher2

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Beetle tdi
Oilhammer, thanks for the reply. I would feel better with a new door I think since 2 of the 4 broken and stripped cables were VW. Will a door from an 03 Beetle fit my 98? It's off a TDI. Will the connectors be the same?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You can answer those questions by checking VW parts numbers from any on-line VW parts database. I use the one at 1stvwparts.com.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just to clarify, Volkswagen has never really had the best track record for power windows and locks. I have owned so many I would have to sit down with a new pen to list them all, and the vast majority had some sort of issue with one or the other, or both.

The New Beetle, ESPECIALLY the 1998 models, are well known for power window regulator problems. As are the A4 platform Golfs and Jettas. They were so bad, they had a special warranty extension of sorts on many of them.

Still, there is only so much turd polish you can place on something. But I will tell you that if you go to a dealer right now, today, in 2017, you will get a power window regulator assembly for your 1998 New Beetle that is better than the one it left the factory with. They have improved them. Putting used regulators in is in my opinion akin to washing toilet paper for reuse.

However, any problem with the window track can make the problem of a weak regulator design seem worse. If the track that the window goes up and down in is kinked, severely worn out, etc. it can cause the window to not track smoothly and stay square through its travel, which will place excess stress on the regulator.

Sometimes a little silicone lubricant placed periodically on the slides is all that is required to keep the window going up and down with as little resistance as possible. The downside to that is, it needs to be reapplied periodically, and it can attract dirt and grit if you drive in dirty dusty areas with your windows down often.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I use autoglym made in U.K., it seems to work great but causes the window to get a greasy smear. On the mk2 I used silicon spray on my shot seals and it didn't stop the door from being frozen to the seal causing the seal to come off with the door, once I tugged it open.

Searcher2

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Beetle tdi
I'll update this post with what I now consider to be the fix. After starting this thread, I lost 2 more regulators tn this door. Lubing the track seemed to help, but not a fix. Last one lasted about 6 months and I thought "AHA". Went out one morning and window was down (thing broke sitting in the driveway). I needed a replacement right away, so I went to the wrecking yard and grabbed one. I thought what the heck; I'll change the motor also (never saw a problem with it though). It's been a year now and so far no more problems (knock on wood).

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I wonder if the mechanism that makes the window go back down if something was blocking it going up was bad?
My back windows will go down again a few times a year when I put them all the way up.

Under warranty VW could not reproduce the problem and indicated it's operating as designed.

Glad you posted the update, it may help someone in the future.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I wonder if the mechanism that makes the window go back down if something was blocking it going up was bad?
My back windows will go down again a few times a year when I put them all the way up.
I had that a few months ago, I resolved it by spraying some silicone lube spray into the channels where the glass slides.