Very interestin tire information

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
[FONT=tahoma,new york,times,serif]Hi All, a very interesting report on vehicle tires.. please check it out.. for the sake of yourself and your family's safety.
This is from the US but I wonder how much of it is applicable to Canada as well?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Really informative

This is a very good video on a tire danger which had never occured to me.
There is a 30 sec. commercial at the first but the video is well worth the watching.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

[/FONT]

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
Excellent video .......... thanks. I'm going out to check my tires (and my wife's) !!

Golfik

Veteran Member
TDI
Golfik
interesting indeed

yes i did go out to my car and check the "secret code":rolleyes:
0408 -> 4th week of 2008. Not too bad, I figure that I will have to replace them at some point in the next 2 years anyways

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Interesting part of that video is that the "Tire Snakes" that they show on the road side are NOT passenger or light truck carcasses, they are Transport Truck tires.

Long ago I had a rear tire failure on my car (1979 Buick station wagon) while on the 401 at over 120kph. I felt the tire blow and took both feet off the peddles, put the flashers on and let the car coast to a safe speed where I stopped it on the shoulder. Cars are more controllable than light trucks, minivans and SUVs when it comes to these incidents.

That being said I have checked the age of all the tires on all my cars and found the oldest to be 4 years old (and they are due to be replaced next month due to tread wear).

MrVermin

Last edited:

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Hmmm very interesting. I will check mine next time I'm at the car. I'm not worried though, since I got both my summers and winters from a reputable source :) (PT)

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
funny, within the airline industry, they just removed the need for *shelf life* of tires sitting on shelf....We used to have to return tires, to have them inspected, and reissued. Now, for most airlines*there are exceptions, I recall that British Airways is one of them*....there is no expirey date on tires. Even tho in a station where wheel changes are rare, they sit for years....Cost of travel just went up again if this is true folks...

Craig

Toby

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf Gl 2dr
I would say it depends on the enviroment that they are stored in. A climate controled warehouse where the tires are not exposed to UV light should be OK for quite a while. Chances are if a tire is a common size and brand you won't run into a tire that has expired on a shelf somewhere. It is more likley to find a odd size/make of tire laying around, or you bought them from a shop that has a low turn around of tires.

I would agree that once the tires have been installed, a time frame does exist. UV light, salt, acid rain all will have an effect on the tire. For me, I drive 40-45 k a year shared on two cars that both have winters and summer tires. I would probably wear them out before any problem with age occurs. My wife however on drives her car 10k a year on two sets of tires, I just replaced her summers that were on 25% worn but they were 7 years old and starting to weather crack.

Last edited:

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I checked my Jetta yesterday and found the date code 4007 on each Nanking NS1, so I will probably be changing them out for treadwear before age. I also checked my Father's 2004 Nissan Altima which still has the original Continental (read CRAP) shipped tires. Their code is 1804, but since their are at the end of their usefull tread life I am replacing them in a month or so anyway.

MrVermin

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
Someone sent this to me in an email a few weeks ago. Here is my take on it.

Wonder why this is coming out now? Maybe its because the auto industry is in shambles at the moment? No cars, trucks, or SUVS being sold means no new tires being bought from the tire manufacturers. So, why not create a scare (See how they conveniently found a story about a US citizen dying in an tire blow out in CANADA. OMG! One story, it must be true!). Its been proven over and over (See 9/11 and BS war that is being fought right now) that scare tactics work in adding a bump to the economy. This is just another way for big business to get your/my dollar.

Lets start a list right here of all the people, just here on TDiClub, that recently bought tires and found them to be out of date:

1) (Insert name here):rolleyes:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If you react properly when a tire blows, you should not crash. If you are caught completely unaware, you can die or possibly poke your eye out with your mascara brush.

The main cause of blowouts is damaged tires and under-inflation. Replace your tires when they show signs of damage, abnormal wear(fix the cause too), or old age. Old age can be determined by the date of manufacture and general condition. Look for checking on the side-walls, damage to bead area, shifting of belts, etc., etc..

This is nothing new at all. Maintain your vehicle properly and drive the damn thing like you have a lick of sense. Pay attention instead of coasting through life like the majority of the western world.

Thanks for the interesting article, maybe it will wake someone up and save some lives!

Bill

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
40X40 said:
If you react properly when a tire blows, you should not crash. If you are caught completely unaware, you can die or possibly poke your eye out with your mascara brush.
Now if they only taught proper Skid School as part of Drivers-Ed in order to get your licence, 80% of these fatal single car incidents would not have occurred.

40X40 said:
The main cause of blowouts is damaged tires and under-inflation. Replace your tires when they show signs of damage, abnormal wear(fix the cause too), or old age. Old age can be determined by the date of manufacture and general condition. Look for checking on the side-walls, damage to bead area, shifting of belts, etc., etc..
I have lost count of how many people I've seen travelling at highway speeds with a DONOUT SPARE TIRE on the fron of their car. Then there are the ones who drive with severely underinflated tires at over 70mph (that is a blowout waiting to happen). Now we have the Hypermile'ers who Overinflate the hell out of tires so that they run on only the pinpoint centre of the tire. They do not go fast enough to loose control, byt Hydroplaning in deep puddles knows no speed limit.

That's it, I'm staying home and ordering in all my food and working from home on the phone and internet. It is way too scary out on the roads these days with all the Morons out there behind the wheel.... :rolleyes: ROTFLMAO :D

MrVermin

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
RichDiesel said:

Wonder why this is coming out now? Maybe its because the auto industry is in shambles at the moment? No cars, trucks, or SUVS being sold means no new tires being bought from the tire manufacturers. So, why not create a scare (See how they conveniently found a story about a US citizen dying in an tire blow out in CANADA. OMG! One story, it must be true!). Its been proven over and over (See 9/11 and BS war that is being fought right now) that scare tactics work in adding a bump to the economy. This is just another way for big business to get your/my dollar.

Lets start a list right here of all the people, just here on TDiClub, that recently bought tires and found them to be out of date:

OFF TOPIC RESPONSE FOLLOWS:
It is called "Disaster Capitalism" and there is a book about it by Naomi Klein

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
RichDiesel said:

This is not that new I heard this quite some time ago. At about 6+ years tires start to degrade due to age.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I don't think tire manufactures want this scare, since they will be getting a lot of tires shipped back from angry customers going back to the resellers. I would think this'll hurt the economy more than it helps

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hey, Silver, think maybe that is what is wrong with my tires? they might have been stored too long!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CmdrData said:
What's the date code on your tires, Fred? I checked my 512s last night and the codes are 0707. Not bad for a model line that is discontinued.
2200 right rear, 0605 left rear ("new" this spring), 1004 (front, used, installed this summer) worn out fronts 169 and 108! 10 years old! bad alignment or tired out tires?