2002 Jetta - Foglight upgrade

Falkor

TDI
I know there is an existing thread but it is over 6 years old. I bought afrer market headlights with Daytime / Foglights. The car does not currently have foglights. I have already replaced the switch to one that has the foglight (front/rear) option. The lights do not work correctly. in looking at the wireing harness it looks like it is missing about half the wires.

Question - are the a number of wires missing? If so, will the wireing harness from a 2002 passat work? I was at the jubkyard today and couldnt find a jetta with the other wires but the Passat had more wires. What wires should be there.

I dont know how to attach a photo. So I have diagramed it bellow. x indicates wire o is no wire.

x x x x __x o o x
o o o o o x x x x

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
The MKIV did not come pre-wired for fog lights, unless of course the car had fog lights. As a result adding a fog light switch will not allow you fog light function, you also need the wiring. This also means there is no existing fog light wire in the connection to the head light.

ECS sells a fog light wiring harness, that should help show you the necessary parts.

Typically to add dogs to an MKIV, you need
Fog lights
Switch
Relay
Wiring

Falkor

TDI
If it were just the fog lights it would not be so critical. However the aftermarket set that I bought did not seem to work well. The problem I have is no turn signals in the front. In addition I have High-beams on the left and low-beams on the right. Thats why I thought I would try to replace the wiring harness but couldnt find a mark iv with foglights and thought the wireing harness from a passat might work. These are supposed to be compatible direct replacements. I did order an exchange and just got the replacements. Will try them in the morning to see how the work. The I did notice there are more pins on the connector for these new lights then on the factory ones. But that may not mean anything.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's a popular mod. There have been several in the recent past.
Try this user contributed search hack, use some different keywords.
VW TDI Search Engine
No doubt you'll still get comments here. Don't neglect to check the headlight aim points.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Having the fogs in the headlight buckets means there is a fog light pin in the headlights. Getting a wire to the other side of that pin in the vehicle harness is needed, and the usual way is to run a relay harness. Then as mentioned, you need a switch, and for that you can get the euro one. From ECS, you can get a harness and detailed instructions to do it. They are pretty good; I was considering this and I did not see anything missing.

The other issue is a bit more interesting, but you can fix it by pulling the headlight contacts out of the bulb plug and switching them. Confirm what you are up to, double check with a meter and all that good stuff, then go change them.
cheers,
Douglas