A3 Alternator rebuild

Locosmotion

Veteran Member
TDI
1999, Beetle TDI White
Does anyone know where to get the tools to get the front pulley off the a3/b4 120A alternator. I found a source for the regulator and brushes, does anyone know where to source the bearings / commutator?

Locosmotion

Veteran Member
TDI
1999, Beetle TDI White
Yeah single assembly behind plastic housing held in by two screws www.vwpartscentral.com they want like $77.00 I have heard that the older a2 Jetta brushes can be made to work but I haven't personally tried it. Last time I checked you could get a set of aftermarket a2 brushes/regulator for $15 dollars at a local alternator/starter shop. I found the tool to remove the pulley and get the front bearing out. The tool is made by Hazet specialy made for VW, model: 3400(dealer said $9.00). It is 34 point 20 mm for anyone interested.
Phil

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Cool, thanks. I've still got the original alternator on my 88 Golf. 215k miles. I swapped the whole reg/brush assembly twice and then I just started soldering in new $5.00 sets of brushes. With a voltmeter it's easy to tell if the brushes are approaching the wear limit, the voltage drops to under 13v.