Tuning Advice 2016 Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (240 HP)

Decibell

TDI
2016 3.0 V6 TDI Touareg
Being new to the TDI Club I'm looking for advice from experienced TDI owners (preferably Touareg owners) that have implemented Malone engine tuning. I'm looking at the Flashzilla Stage 1 or Stage 2 Tune for the 240 HP V6. Does anybody have experience with either one or even both Tunes? How is your long term experience? Which Tune is the better choice for every day driving with more fun factor when needed? Did you encounter any problems with your Touareg after implementing the Malone Tune?

P.S. The Touareg in question is brand new - I just bought it last week. Does the engine need to break in before implementing a Tune?

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
It will break in the same with or without any tune you may choose - ie don't even worry a little about any special break in procedures - none are necessary.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I always say tune it...runs 100 times better...i dont go malone but thats all ill say

Decibell

TDI
2016 3.0 V6 TDI Touareg
JR vs Malone

I always say tune it...runs 100 times better...i dont go malone but thats all ill say
I see you went with JR for your 2012 Touareg. Have you had bad experience with Malone? What is the reason you would not chose Malone? BTW - I just checked the JR site and it looks like they don't even offer a Tune for the 2016 TDI?

Decibell

TDI
2016 3.0 V6 TDI Touareg
It will break in the same with or without any tune you may choose - ie don't even worry a little about any special break in procedures - none are necessary.
Thanks Fourdiesel! You have quite a collection!!! My Boss in Germany had a V10 a few years ago. He loved it! But I never got to drive it :-( Then again, with a toy of this caliber you need the "Autobahn" without speed limit :)

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
The database we build with alientech is shared with other tuners, so they would probably have a file available in the near future if that's the route you'd like to take. We're not willing to force-pass emissions testing so a lot of the Ontario crowd has moved to competitors that will. Always welcome to email us directly as well.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I see you went with JR for your 2012 Touareg. Have you had bad experience with Malone? What is the reason you would not chose Malone? BTW - I just checked the JR site and it looks like they don't even offer a Tune for the 2016 TDI?
I had malone for 4 years in my jetta, not trouble free but it was alright...my tuner told me jr is the way to go and seeing he tunes almost all the tdis in ontario i take his word....and being ive been tuned for over 2 years with zero issues im more then happy.

The engine has been unchanged since 2013...infact only thing that has changed since 2013 is the bumpers in 2015...so yes they can and do have a tune for 2016s
The database we build with alientech is shared with other tuners, so they would probably have a file available in the near future if that's the route you'd like to take. We're not willing to force-pass emissions testing so a lot of the Ontario crowd has moved to competitors that will. Always welcome to email us directly as well.
I dont have emission testing so this is not the reason

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
P.S. The Touareg in question is brand new - I just bought it last week.
I had a Malone stage II tune on my 2010 Touareg and absolutely loved it. That being said, this is a brand new Touareg, right? Please do your homework about tuning and your new car warranty so you can make an informed decision.

Decibell

TDI
2016 3.0 V6 TDI Touareg
Yes Sprocket, that is definitely a problem I have no good solution for. But waiting until the warranty period is over ... sounds even more painful. I guess I will take the risk and hope for the best. Did you remove your Tune for state inspections and dealer visits?

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Did you remove your Tune for state inspections and dealer visits?
No state inspections in Michigan. The vehicle was out of warranty when I had it tuned.

yrktreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Treg TDi Exec, 2010 JSW TDi DSG
Malone has always had good customer service from what i've heard.
There is also RocketChip who is very local to me but unfortunately never returned any of my messages or emails.
And then JR who I've never heard of before, not saying that he's not any good, just never heard of him/ them.