block heater/coolant heater

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
I drove my new (used)Jetta TDI in mid-30 degree F weather yesterday morning and despite what I have read previously I was a little surprised at how long it took to warm up. I didn't idle/warm it up (I know it doesn't help and bad for the engine)just got in and did my 2,500 rpm shifts. The heated seats help but my sons are going to freeze this winter during the 5 minute drive to school this winter when it gets REALLY cold. I don't have a garage let alone a heated one. I have seen the link for the coolant heater ($89), and have read about an aftermarket block heater. Any one have experience with these items? Thanks again for any help.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Bite the bullet and pick up the Tdi heater from frostheater.com, he may still have free shipping. Unless you feel like doing a little shopping and locate the parts yourself like I did you can do it for 50-60 bucks. I've seen the kit out of the box and it's set and ready to go, easy peazy lemon squeezy. The block heaters are most likely oil pan heaters which stick to the oil pan via a magnet or some adhesive. The Frostheater heats the coolant and will give you toasty air inside pretty quickly. These motors (AFAIK) do not have frost plugs like gassers.

Do it...Do it...Doooo it.

Dave

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Pretty strong endorsement! I did visit the site and I guess I question the claim that it "looks factory" Can it be removed during warmer months? I'd hate to clutter up the slick looking engine bay.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Tell your kids about riding to school in the back of an unheated sled in -40 Deg. weather.

With the snow blowing...

And rain falling...

And Hurricane force winds...

or just get the coolant heater kit mentioned above.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Boy, lots of very positive reviews at the frostheater site. I just ordered the kit and look forward to testing in sub zero temps this winter. Thanks for the feedback guys. Kids these days just don't know how lucky they are.

WeekendWrench

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5 passat variant
no need to remove in the summer for a passat...talked with them and got some pics back. the heater tucks into the engine bay down by the oil cooler, so it does indeed look factory.

DrewD

Veteran Member
THe only thing that looks out of place with a tdi heater is the plug sticking out of the front grill. Other than that my dealer never noticed mine until I pointed it out to them so they could start selling them for their customers.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Can it be removed during warmer months? I'd hate to clutter up the slick looking engine bay.
You cannot even see it unless you look down into the bay and kinda' under the battery. The only thing I did was leave the OEM hose in place. You'll get it once you see the instructions. The OEM hose is attached to another hose via a blob of rubber (keeps them from rubbing I guess) Some cut the blob and take out the OEM hose. I left mine in and just plugged the ends with little plastic caps to keep out the crap. I left it in place in case the Zerostart deceided to spring a leak. This way I could reattach the OEM hose a keep driving. You never know

good luck
Dave

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Croberts - that's why they wear coats...

In truth - even in a gasser - you're NOT going to get the car really warm when it's that cold unless you leave it idling for 15 - 30 minutes (and at the current price of gas - I sure wouldn't !)

The kids are tougher than you think - dress them properly and they'll be fine - TDIheater or not...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Like Dave, I left the original hose in place. You can hardly see the heater unless you are looking for it. It is awesome. Get yourself a heavy-duty timer and an extension cord for it. Let it heat up for 2-3 hours, depending on how cold it is. Even though there is no coolant or air circulating, simple convection will bring enough warm air into the cabin to mostly defrost the windshield before you even leave the house.

It's been warm for so long, I've forgotten that I even had the TDI Heater installed. Last winter, I didn't have any way to plug it in while I was at work. Now, we've moved to a new location and I can park right next to our loading dock and plug it in! Of course, it's still 70-80 degrees out here... so no need to think about it just yet.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
whitedog for me it was walking against 40 mph winds,in -20 degrees, knee deep in snow uphill,both ways,as for the block heaters mine has an oil pan heater but as i believe the oil pan is aluminum,it's glued in place.those frostheaters look like the cats meow.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
...The heated seats help but my sons are going to freeze this winter during the 5 minute drive to school this winter when it gets REALLY cold...
Um, they walk, or take the bus? if you explain that's the alternative, then the VW is going to seem like heaven. Jesus, what kid can't walk to school if its only a 5 minute drive?