Roof Racks & Back Hatch Racks for New Beetle

amishman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Beetle
Any recommendations on nice roof racks and back hatch racks that fit the New Beetle. I have searched with Google and found a couple, one made by a TVA Accessories (they had a roof and hatch rack) and also, PIP Roof Rack, which looked real nice but sells for $500. Are there anymore options. I would like to carry the typical cooler and maybe some luggage on camping trips and that sort of thing. Want to pack the Beetle up as much as I can.

Please offer any suggestions you may have.

Thanks

Thomas

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
The one that TVA has is PERFECT for what you are wanting to do with it. I use mine for exactly the same stuff you are wanting to.

here is a picture of my car wearing its FLAT-4 roof rack. (TVA)

coincidentally, there is one for sale on newbeetle.org right now ($250 shipped)

the seller is Elecmohwk. he is located in California also.

here is a link for you.

I am happy with the carrying ability of my rack, but I have had finish issues with it. (PM for details if you like)

also wouldnt hurt to build yourself a windjammer like I did.. REALLY cuts down on the wind noise.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
...also wouldnt hurt to build yourself a windjammer like I did.. REALLY cuts down on the wind noise.
Aaron, funny you should mention that. I had one of the OEM aluminum racks on my old 1970 Beetle, and it hummed like a banshee at speed. Depending on my mood, it was either entertaining or annoying. It was always fun going to the co-op in the beetle and loading up with 50-lb. bags of feed - 4 in the back seat, 2 in front seat, one in the trunk and 2 on the roof! Interesting to drive... four on the roof is NOT recommended! LOL

Mark

amishman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Beetle
Does your Beetle have a moon roof? One of my concerns is there enough space between the rack and the moonroof to open in the tilt up mode. I emailed the PIP people and theirs does not work with the tilt up mode. So I am ruling that one out as I would hate to turn the dial to tilt mode and it break something as it tilts up and smacks into the rack.

Thomas

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
this rack is about 4" above the roof... MUCH higher (like 2.5" more) than the PIP. I do not have a sunroof, bt i have no doubts that the tilt vent will not interfere.

texsurfer

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS TDI, 2004, Reflex Silver
do they offer an OEM rack like the Jetta? that's what I have and it rocks. cheaper than Thule or Yakima as well...