starts when cold and stalls, won't start, runs great when warm?

kathieklw

TDI
2004 Passat
My TDI passat runs great when it's warm. In the cold, it starts right up and then stalls and won't start. Have tested the glow plugs, they're good and installed new fuel pump. Anyone know what this might be?

Also replaced fuel and temp sensors

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Won't start as in what? Does the starter turn over? Engine not catching? Is the tach registering rpms when you are starting or does it stay at zero?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
When it starts then dies when it is cold, does it take for ever to restart?

philb

TDI
afn passat
try ing a few things like ,,,seperate fuel supply with primer bulb and prime pump see if that changes anythng ,,,,look for air leaks ,,

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
Don't want to hijack a thread, but I have sort of the same thing going on. 2005 B5.5 wagon. timing is on, torsion is good, no codes (I have VCDS) but below -12C it starts, runs very briefly (1 sec), then sounds like the timing is advancing, and it stalls with a very distinct change in tone (more rattle). You can crank and crank, it will maybe restart and do the same thing, but more often, it will chug along like it was really cold and juuuuust trying to start. when or if it does fire, it marks it's spot with a soot bomb out the tailpipe. During all this, there is plenty of fuel, tank pump has pressure at filter... Engine is 320000km, stock, fresh-ish stock cam, changed when I de-balance shafted it a year ago. Runs great with more or less correct mileage when it's warm. I'm kinda stumped too. Would a cam position sensor on the way out intermittently do this? and leave no code. It's pretty frustrating for an otherwise really reliable car. Thanks in advance for your help...