Grinding noise clutch pedal out and sticky clutch pedal

Bierrie

TDI
Golf 5 2.0 TDi
Hi everyone

Over the years I've learned so much from this forum, that a big THANK YOU would be in order!

Recently a problem has developed which I haven't been able to diagnose 100% accurately. Perhaps our old faithful is starting to show her age? This 2005 VW Golf 5 BKD 2.0 TDi 6 speed MT now has 240K kms on the clock. As a side note, I replaced the transmission oil recently with Castrol BOT 402.

Most mornings when I start the car, there is this grinding noise – similar to the sound of a worn timing chain tensioner of yore. This is only audible on cold start, car stationary, with the transmission in neutral and with the clutch pedal out. The moment I press the clutch pedal in, the sounds goes away. If I let the engine idle for a few minutes, this noise also disappears. I have not noticed this noise while driving (but that might be due to other noises).

The second problem is even more sporadic. Perhaps unrelated? And it only happens when the car is at operating temperature. When I shift gears, the clutch pedal would not come out completely. It is kind of sticky ... if I can explain it that way. The pedal would travel smoothly in but not return to its rest position in one movement. It would come out 70% and then pause before popping completely out.

Oh, and a final remark, 1st gear seem difficult to engage when you stop, press clutch pedal in, car stationary, engine running. To overcome it I first put it in 2nd and then 1st. I'd hate to start changing parts on suspicion, so please advise how I should test to improve my diagnosis.

Thanks

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Miles are at the point where lots of things can become worn. I suspect a combination of problems... As to a proper diagnosis? I don't think it's possible on the outside looking in.

Once there you may as well plan for a new DMF or SMF. Clutch has lots of experience so it may as well be replaced. Splitting the engine and tranny will allow you to inspect for other problems while you're there.

My guess? Your pressure plate springs are failed. If I'm wrong no matter because you'll be doing the entire job anyway.

Bierrie

TDI
Golf 5 2.0 TDi
Update:

Where the throwout bearing (aka t/o bearing or release bearing) use to sit in an old 5 speed transmission, is now the input shaft bearing. The gearbox has also been removed.

Problems:

- common problem is the input shaft bearing “eating” the gearbox casing and this one is no different. We are going to have the area machined so that it can be properly spaced when fitting a new bearing

- clutch plate is totally smooth on the one side and on the other side there are hardly any grooves left

- dmf (dual mass flywheel) on gearbox side does not move at all, this will necessitate grinding around the centre to allow a socket to fit in.

I belief the LUK clutch does not fit with the OE dmf, but since the original dmf is cooked, we are going to replace both clutch and dmf.

Thanks Nord.

Last edited: