www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:29   #16
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
Their latest fluid, G070, is actually thinner, I believe: there's an epic thread here that goes way back, talking about G052. Seems that G052 and its replacement, G060, were mostly OK.

Folks should keep in mind that it might take a little while (but I don't think it should take more than 100 miles) for the new fluid to displace any of the old fluid that was coating all the parts.

Good point. I think it took a bit less for me to notice it, driving around for a little bit got everything circulating. But problem solved!

The thing you should note with the syncromesh fluid is that the change interval will be less. I try to keep mine on 20-30k intervals. It's easy and cheap enough to do.
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 14:46   #17
UhOh
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrashDH View Post
The thing you should note with the syncromesh fluid is that the change interval will be less. I try to keep mine on 20-30k intervals. It's easy and cheap enough to do.
I hadn't heard about any need for a shortened change interval. Can you point me at a discussion of this? I went about 50k miles on the wife's car's fluid, only changing it because I was dropping the transmission to do the clutch.

It may be cheap if it's one's own labor, but when paying someone else to do it it starts piling up with all the other costs.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 14:52   #18
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Fluid has no change interval, but yes, there certainly is discussion. Many feel it prudent to change out gear oil every 100,000 or 2, why not.
Seen many threads where fluid change/refresh has cured ills, but if it's really really hard to shift, it's not the fluid.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2017, 15:11   #19
UhOh
Veteran Member

Bob, 100k miles seems more reasonable than 20-30k miles. I'd never, like VW, expect fluid to be "lifetime"
Old October 4th, 2017, 15:14   #20
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Many feel it prudent to change out gear oil every 100,000 or 2, why not.
Seen many threads where fluid change/refresh has cured ills, but if it's really really hard to shift, it's not the fluid.
I'm that preventative maintenance type of guy. I'd rather not go until I feel something is "off" and do it on a regular schedule, especially since I don't pay anyone to do work. And in our case, it's almost easier or is easier than an oil change. Sure it might be overkill to most, just my habits.

I agree though, really hard to shift, something else may be up, related to the transmission. In the TDI and my Cummins, and although different beasts of transmissions, the syncromesh (vs other recommended fluids) has performed the best in both yet on the times I've let it get down to where the fluid is dang near water (on purpose for my own true mileage intevals) the syncromesh was the shortest interval out of them (but it always had the best feel)

"Reasonable" is really just a matter of opinion. 100k might be reasonable to one person, 30k is reasonable for me. I wouldn't personally let any fluids in my vehicles go 100k.

The lifetime claim for VW's tranny oil is a joke though!

Last edited by KrashDH; October 4th, 2017 at 15:18.
Old October 4th, 2017, 15:37   #21
UhOh
Veteran Member

OK, I might think about changes every other year (or about 50k miles) (hoping that people pay attention to the two-year change interval on brake fluids!)
Old October 4th, 2017, 16:06   #22
KrashDH
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
(hoping that people pay attention to the two-year change interval on brake fluids!)
For sure a big one as absorption of water into the brake fluid can cause havok on sealed systems