New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

grasshopper

TDI
none anymore...
Wonderful idea for us non mechanics!

Some of us do not trust Dealerships and do not have an up to date VW mechanic available in our area. I am lucky that I have an honest mechanic who is interested in learning. This site helps a lot.

Please add the info about changing the battery, how to recode everything, ecu, radio and whatever else needs to be done. :)

alaskagolf

2001 Tdi No Power

HI folks im new here,i have a 2001 Golf 5 speed manual......HAs no power .....like the turbo has no boost...up hills even worst....like a slug......anyone have any ideas?i removed the aircleaner thought maybe was plugged...nope clear.....inside the intake of turbo housing i see some black residue? if you can help i would like to hear back thanks.
luciano:)

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Welcome aboard alaskagolf. First post, and in a good spot. However, this is to keep you busy for a while, start at the beginning of this post (way back on page 1) and go through the links - spend at least an hour doing this - and I bet you'll start getting a good idea of what your problem could be and what to do about it.

Welcome to the group. If you spend some time looking around, you will become - well, not an expert, but an educated layman as to how these machines work and what is likely to be your problem.

OnDasher

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon
Greetings, folks. An old newbie here. Bought a new 1981 diesel Dasher wagon a while back and decided after 25 years and 250K miles it just might be time to buy another. I just got a beautiful 2006 TDI Jetta wagon (red/biege). It's a bit fancier than the old Dasher -- and twice the HP!! I've already learned a lot about TDI care and feeding from this forum. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all! Santa now drives a red TDI.

resnick

TDI
VW Passat B5 1,9 TDI (81kW)
Hello! Greetings from Estonia. This is my first post here.
I own a silver VW Passat B5 (1997) 1,9TDI (81 kW).
I think I'll add a picture of my TDI later on...

eshaps

I'm a newbie. How do I post other than in reply? Is there a way do do a new post other than a reply? I want to ask how to change glow plugs. It's my son's 2000 (Ithink)TDI Jetta.

jasonlee

TDI
99.5 Golf TDI
spring loaded trap door in intake ?

spring loaded trap door in air intake

While cleaning the snow screen I found a spring loaded trap door a few inches upstream.It measures about 2 inches X 2 inches.
It is covered with a foam filter but mine was partially eaten away letting a bit of dirt in.

Anyone knows the function of this door ????

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's the Emergency Air Duct when your snow screen gets so packed that it can't allow more air in. Keeps the car from dying when you've gone through a long way through the snow.

pappys66

TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I am looking for someone who has had the tb changed on a 1.9tdi and has had problems after is was changed by a dealer. My jetta currently sounds like it has a two cyl rather than the four it should be. The dealer is not being very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has also had this problem.

RussTDI06

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Are TDI's going to end?

After much searching and thinking I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI and really love it. I have only been an owner for 2 weeks but really enjoy it. I heard that VW will stop making TDI's in 2007. Is this real and if so what will happen to existing TDI's? I was considering getting a second Jetta TDI in the next month or so. Would it be better to wait until the "new diesel" comes out? Thanks.

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
alaskagolf said:
HI folks im new here,i have a 2001 Golf 5 speed manual......HAs no power .....like the turbo has no boost...up hills even worst....like a slug......anyone have any ideas?i removed the aircleaner thought maybe was plugged...nope clear.....inside the intake of turbo housing i see some black residue? if you can help i would like to hear back thanks.
luciano:)
I know I sound like a broken record to some of you:(, but check your MAF:mad: disconnect it :confused:if it runs better replace it:rolleyes: and VWOA has a recall for some of them:D

max3fan

TDI
2002 Jetta - auto.
This is a great forum for TDI owners. I bought my '02 Jetta (my first non-GM vehicle) in July of '05 and have frequented this forum over the past serveral months since then. I've now come to the point where I had to join to participate in the many interesting discussions I've seen. Great stuff here and I look forward to correspondence with you.

--max3fan

musey

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Hi there, I have a 2001 Golf TDI and I love her, her name's Mattie. I have 96k on her already! I don't run her on biodiesel because it's not commercially available where I live, but I did buy it back when I lived in New Mexico. I love how people freak out when I go to a gas station and fill up with diesel, no one can believe such a small car takes diesel.

Anyways, I currently live in Florida where I teach, do photography and write.

NorCalDslr

TDI
Placebo (N/A 1.6)
Not Another Nubie...

Wow! What a ton of information! If it's about a TDI, and it's not in this forum, then it probably doen't exist...yet.

I'm in the market for a Golf TDI and came across this forum and had to join. You people are sick, and I like that. :D

Keep the TDI info flowing,

Ian

henryw

TDI
103kW TDI with DSG autogear
Hello to Everyone

I enjoy reading the TDIFAQ & the various information, that is why I joined this forums despite the fact I will be the odd man out here, as I stayed in UK. My VW is a Touran (7 seater) with a 2.0 TDI 140bhp and a 6 speed DSG auto gearbox. The official mileage is 33.4 (Imp. mpg) for urban and 51.4 (Imp. mpg) for highway. As I have took delivery of this Car in Dec 05, I am still testing the actual mileage as compare with the official figure.

jlaman

TDI
2003 Golf GL TDI 5spd
EGR modification

My apologies if this has been covered before. I am still sorting out the use of this forum.

2003 VW TDI GL 5spd 48,200

I just finished paying too much for an intake manifold cleanout and told the dealer that I will be having the EGR reset. Dealer was horrified and stated that this procedure is not reversible and when emissions testing eventually comes to this area the car will not pass. Then I will be in a real jam.

1. Is it true that the EGR modification described in this forum is not reversible?
2. Is it true that the TDI will not pass an emissions test after the EGR mod?

Thanks!

Jeff L.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
jlaman said:
I just finished paying too much for an intake manifold cleanout and told the dealer that I will be having the EGR reset. Dealer was horrified and stated that this procedure is not reversible and when emissions testing eventually comes to this area the car will not pass. Then I will be in a real jam.

1. Is it true that the EGR modification described in this forum is not reversible?
2. Is it true that the TDI will not pass an emissions test after the EGR mod?
By "EGR modification" I assume you mean using VAG-COM to turn down the EGR duty cycle. If so, it takes about 5 minutes to modify and about 5 minutes to set it back to the stock setting.

If you're talking about unhooking the EGR and putting a golf tee in the vacuum hose, that's a 2-minute job. But on a 2003 model you'll get a CEL. And if your state has an emissions test for diesel cars, your TDI can't pass with a CEL.

There is practically nothing you can do to your TDI engine that is not irreversible.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is this still possible with a PD? I though VagCom adjustments didn't work on them for the EGR. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong.

vicval

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI
Randomly opening car doors

I have a 1998 Jetta Tdi that the entry doors open "randomly". Sometimes I pull on the handle and it does nothing, sometimes I do this many times. Then, out of the blue, the door will open. Other times, it opens the first time, but, when I try to exit, it won't open. It isn't freezing up after a rainfall, it also does it when it is dry. It does this on 3 of the 4 doors.
Anyone who can help solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

06Jettagrl

TDI
06 VW Jetta
Hello all, I am a proud owner of a 06 VW Jetta TDI Package #1. I Love it. I just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to chatting with you all in the furture. I have been reading through the site and there is a lot of good information posted here. I have no modifications planned yet, but I hope to in the future.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
06Jettagrl said:
I have no modifications planned yet
Don't worry, that won't last long. That's the thing about VWs, you can't quit looking at mods. They're just so... moddable! :D

Welcome to the forums.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
re: 98 Jetta door handles

Remove the door handles. One large phillips screw on the edge of the door. Once removed, operate it and see how it works. It pushes down on a flat piece of metal. Over time, the metal bends slightly. Very gently, pull up on the metal to bend it, replace the handle, and see if it's fixed. Trial and error, so may have to repeat as necessary.

Warning, the screws on the passenger side may be left-hand thread. I can't recall if A3 or B4, so just be aware. Don't strip them trying to remove.

hobbes43

TDI
2006 Jetta
Just saying hi, and an interesting story

Hi,
I just picked up my 2006 Jetta TDI Package 1 last evening - my first VW and my first Diesel.

I waited over 2 months for the car. I was at the dealership last night and the car was in the showroom. The salesman walked me over to it and I noticed that the decal on the back said "2.5". I told him that I didn't think this was my car, he looked at it, his face turned white, and he went into the back room. After some mad scrambling and confusion, it turned out that it was my TDI afterall, with the wrong decal applied!

It will be replaced, of course, but in the meantime I wonder if it is a "collector's item" that I can sell for big bucks on Ebay!

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful posts in the Forums.

Stan B

TDI
Jetta 2001 TDI
Brand new - have 2 questions

Another Newbie is here! :)

Bought Jetta '01 with 60k automatic not too long ago, stumbled on this website and learned a ton of excellent stuff, and realized that I better quickly change the TB.

Took it to a shop that specializes in VW and they did a job. The way they did it is very different from the method being described on the forums. No special tools were used at all, and they didn't even open the valve cover while doing it. Anyway, the did the work, the car seems to be running good afterwards.
My first question is, is there an easier method to correctly change TB that somebody can describe other than the rather complicated one that is already posted. :confused:

Second, they installed TB part # 038 109 119 HD
the belt looked very durable with a kind of plastic covering on the inside. After how long will I need to change it considering that I have an automatic transmission?
Thanks in advance

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
You need to have it looked at NOW. It could fail *NOW*, it could fail later. Don't risk a $6,000 engine on it. I wouldn't trust it, unless one of the experts here looked at it.

You really need to do the complicated method - there's a reason for it. First, you have to replace many things in the timing belt path - otherwise, major damage can occur - especially if the tensioner is not replaced. Second, without using the proper tools, major damage can occur when first starting the engine (although it didn't happen in this case).

Luckily, you came to the right place.

I would start a new thread in this section, asking if someone can look at your timing belt.

Last edited:

afoxx

Is there a way to make your alarm not "beep" whenever you lock and unlock the door?

Is there a way to make your alarm not "beep" whenever you lock and unlock the door? It's annoying when you get home at night and can be a disturbance to neighbors. Just got my 06 TDI tonight and am soooo excited! This is a great site.

lindyloo

I am a newbie and am wondering where to find the engine coolant temperature sensor. I have a manual and it is not clear where it is. Please help.