New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
depends how you drive. I drive aggressively - seems that helps reduce the need for a regen cycle - at least that's my observation - others have guessed the same too.

andriah613

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
My husband and I both drive my car...he drives more aggressive while I drive more conservatively. We had one regen cycle after about 300 miles. Not sure how to figure out when they happen, but I have heard as well if you drive more aggressive regens are less common.

UGA-TDI

TDI
2013 Passat
I love this site! We just moved out of our second E55 AMG Mercedes, at some point 14mpg were just not cutting it. We purchased a 2013 Passat TDI SE with Nav and Sunroof, Black over Cornsilk, and that edgy spoiler. LOVE LOVE LOVE the car! I'm sure I'll be looking around the site for days and weeks to come. Just wanted to say hello, I'm glad I'm part of the family.

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
My husband and I both drive my car...he drives more aggressive while I drive more conservatively. We had one regen cycle after about 300 miles. Not sure how to figure out when they happen, but I have heard as well if you drive more aggressive regens are less common.
I drive conservatively and the first time the regen happened and I shut my TDI off to hear the fan continuing to run hard it scared the cr*p out of me. I turned the car on and then off again and the fan stopped. I thought about taking it into the dealer but decided to look it up online and saw that it was likely the regen not completing before I turned off the car and that the fan would turn off on it's own after 5 or 10 minutes. It's happened to me a handful of times over the few months I've owned the car but of course it doesn't startle me anymore :)

fritz23

TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon
Subaru coolant in 2010 TDI

This morning my low coolant level light in my 2010 Jetta TDI came on. I was in a hurry and put in some coolant normally used in our 2011 Subaru (Subaru part number S0A868V9270). The Jetta took about 2 quarts.

Am I in trouble?:confused:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This morning my low coolant level light in my 2010 Jetta TDI came on. I was in a hurry and put in some coolant normally used in our 2011 Subaru (Subaru part number S0A868V9270). The Jetta took about 2 quarts.

Am I in trouble?:confused:
Two issues here. First, there must be a leak if the coolant level was down two quarts. Or, you overfilled which is also bad, since it could lead to coolant migration. Do a search, it can be quite nasty.

Second, mixing two incompatible kinds of coolant can produce something that may clog small passages. Maybe the Suburu coolant is compatible, maybe it's not.

I suggest that the first thing you need to do is check the coolant level, and if it's significantly above the line then siphon some out of there. Otherwise, check for leaks. And find out what Suburu uses in their branded coolant.

fritz23

TDI
2010 Jetta Wagon
Thanks. The Subaru container says " ...is an ethylene glycol base product for extra long lasting aluminum and all other components protection." Ingredients: Water (7732-1-5), Ethylene Glycol (107-21-1) Diethylene Glycol (111-46-6), Proprietary Inhibitors (NJTSRN217), Potassium Hydroxide (130-58-3). Also meets ASTM D-3306. The car has 70,000 miles and this is the first coolant needed.

Oops! This is what happens when one combines a "senior moment" and rushing. I poured the subaru coolant into the windshield washer reservoir. Now my problem is how to clean that stuff out.

Last edited:

bigbert

TDI
04 Jetta
04 issues

I traded an 04 Jetta TDI for my Harley a few weeks ago. When I first got it, the car had all kinds of power and I could hear the turbo spool up. The CEL has been on since I purchased the car. I took it to a mechanic who claimed to be knowledgeable with the TDIs who read my codes and said I needed to replace my MAF sensor. When I replaced it, I found it had an AFE intake, EGR delete, straight pipe (wow these are quiet), and a bully dog programmer (44360T).

The original complaint was after driving for a while the car would loose power at around 3,000. It was like a hit a switch. I thought after reading a few posts here that the car was going into limp mode. Many local guys confirmed the MAF sensor. I took it for a test drive last night and it worked great. When we took off this morning, the power was lost again around 3,000 RPMs. After thinking about it, is it possible something is screwy with the tuner and it is shutting itself down? I would appreciate any insite or recomendations of mechanics near Green Bay, WI that I could go to. I found some 10 year old posts of people around here but nothing current.

Thanks all.

Brett

Also, I am trying to find a link on how to actually perform the ventectomy but all have been dead ends.

Craneguru

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle (sold), 2014 BMW 328d
On the 2006? and earlier models, it allows you to completely fill your fuel tank to approximately 17.x gallons (instead of the 14.5 advertised) without having to manually vent, or burp, your tank. I understand that these cars came equipped with the same fuel tank whether gasoline or diesel. This takes full advantage of the expansion space which is there for gasoline to expand. As diesel has a much lower vapor pressure than gasoline, this space isn't necessary to remain empty.

I could be wrong on the model year in which this 'feature' was discontinued.

bigbert

TDI
04 Jetta
Thanks for the ventectomy link. Every time I fuel up (twice now in 900 miles) the tank does not fill. I appreciate it.

willytdi

TDI
Seat leon 1.9 tdi 150 cv ARL
Hey guys, I think this is the thread that corresponds to the presentations, because my name is Antonio and I own a seat leon 1.9 tdi ARL engine.
I met by chance looking forum make modifications to the car, I hope the language is not a barrier to help me and I help you you. Thank you all.
Pd: Excusing if the translation is not good.
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Welcome to TDI Club!!
Check out forums.tdiclub.com for a list of our forums.
They are sort of oriented to North America models, but there is some great info, including how to boost performance

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
On the 2006? and earlier models, it allows you to completely fill your fuel tank to approximately 17.x gallons (instead of the 14.5 advertised) without having to manually vent, or burp, your tank. I understand that these cars came equipped with the same fuel tank whether gasoline or diesel. This takes full advantage of the expansion space which is there for gasoline to expand. As diesel has a much lower vapor pressure than gasoline, this space isn't necessary to remain empty.

I could be wrong on the model year in which this 'feature' was discontinued.
Ah! Okay, I didn't *think* mine had that it's a 2012 and I've never seen anything like that *and* I tend fill it until it's close to spilling out.

TDI
Golf MK6
New kid with big plans :D

Hey all,

I'm sooo glad to have joined this forum, it looks awesome.

My family has recently bought a brand new 2012 blue graphite pearl golf tdi and so far I'm loving it. Although the car isn't mine yet, I believe it should be soon enough and I can't wait :D Here is a list of the mods I plan on doing in the near future (some of you might call me a ricer, but I guess that's just the teenager in me hehe).

Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/45ZR17

Neuspeed RSe05 17`` black wheels

MGP red caliper covers

Rear Hatch carbon fiber hatch protector (NGP racing)

Golf R Tinted Tails

Golf R Black headlights + LED`s + HID`s

AFE Stage 2 CAI

Cat-Back exhaust (Performance-Diesel, GTI style)

Malone Stage 2 Tune + DSG Tune + DPF delete

Downpipe (Performance diesel)

Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers

UberStealth Sub box + Amp Box

Pioneer TS-SW2501 Single 2 ohm subwoofer + Pioneer GM-D8500M 2 ohm amp

OSIR Carbon Fiber Rear GTI Valence

OSIR Carbon Fiber Hood

OSIR Carbon Fiber Spoiler

Let me know if you guys see anything that concerns you, keeping in mind that I live in Ottawa, therefor I do have winters and bad roads.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I don't know what stereo is in it, but I have the Fender in mine and I am a very serious audiophile. The Fender system is easily as good as any I have installed in any of my cars and I have a full Eclipse system in my Mustang with the audio processor.

livewires250

TDI
2010mkv jetta sedan
fairly new to the TDI club,and owner of a 2010 TDI Jetta S, just over a month ago. Love this car- highest mpg thus far is 46,and no problem getting high 30's to low 40's. daily. Learned something new the other evening- if you want to turn off the drl's while parked, engage the parking brake, and will turn off.

Roshermoore

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG sunroof
Waste of money or illegal!

Hey all,

Here is a list of the mods I plan on doing in the near future (some of you might call me a ricer, but I guess that's just the teenager in me hehe).

Michelin Pilot Super Sports 225/45ZR17

Neuspeed RSe05 17`` black wheels

MGP red caliper covers

Rear Hatch carbon fiber hatch protector (NGP racing)

Golf R Tinted Tails

Golf R Black headlights + LED`s + HID`s

AFE Stage 2 CAI

Cat-Back exhaust (Performance-Diesel, GTI style)

Malone Stage 2 Tune + DSG Tune + DPF delete

Downpipe (Performance diesel)

Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers

UberStealth Sub box + Amp Box

Pioneer TS-SW2501 Single 2 ohm subwoofer + Pioneer GM-D8500M 2 ohm amp

OSIR Carbon Fiber Rear GTI Valence

OSIR Carbon Fiber Hood

OSIR Carbon Fiber Spoiler

Let me know if you guys see anything that concerns you, keeping in mind that I live in Ottawa, therefor I do have winters and bad roads.

Thanks,

Chris
CAI is waste of money. Just do a search!

There is no tune for removing the DPF for on road legal use.

Last edited:

KJH

TDI
2007 Passat TDI
Headlights left on - but no warning buzzer

I just bought my first TDI a couple of months ago. 2007 Passat TDI with 176K miles on it. I've accidently left the headlights on at least three times in the past two months, because there's no warning buzzer when exiting the car! I come back after work to find I have a dead battery.

Also, my driver's door started not latching as soon as it got cold out. I try to slam it shut, but it doesn't latch and it just bounces back open again. I found that if I warm up the car, the door will close properly. Not sure how warming up the car could affect a door latch though.

Any ideas on the headlight buzzer? I did find the fuze panel and didn't see any blown fuzes. But I'm also not much of a mechanic and don't know exactly what I'm looking for there. Does a blown fuze look like other brown or grey smoke marks on a gapped (blown) fuze?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I didn't know there were any 2007 MY TDIs sold in North America. I thought Passat TDIs were sold in 2004 and 2005, then not again until this past year.

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench should free up the latch, then some fresh grease. If the lights work but not the idiot buzzer (sorry LOL) it's probably not a fuse, it's probably unplugged because the same one usually buzzes for the lights and door. Does it work for the door?

KJH

TDI
2007 Passat TDI
Some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench should free up the latch, then some fresh grease. If the lights work but not the idiot buzzer (sorry LOL) it's probably not a fuse, it's probably unplugged because the same one usually buzzes for the lights and door. Does it work for the door?
You mean a buzzer for the key left in the ignition, but the door is open? I do think I recall hearing that buzzer. I will definitely double check that though.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'm wondering if this is a 97? With the infamous "door bonk".

Lights should have a buzzer if I recall. Perhaps your driver's door sensor is not working.