05 golf tdi

Killerkaw

TDI
05 golf
Good afternoon all,
I have an 05 GOLF 1.9 TDI I think it has the DEW engine, (please confirm) that had thrown a timing belt. I have found an 02 Jetta with 1.9 that was rear ended. Id like to swap motors....what problems will I have with this swap? Or should i just pull my 1.9 and rebuild the top end?

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
It's a BEW. If it were me I would rebuild the BEW.

Lots of ALH love, but transplanting one would be a big project. I think you would need lots of extras besides just the engine. Like wiring harness, engine mounts, etc.

I'm sure it can be done and probably has, but I think most would recommend against it.

Killerkaw

TDI
05 golf
Thanks for the quick reply! We have had 4 golf's (02,04,04,05) as company sales cars...love them for the mileage and general reliability. Only the 05 is left and is now a personal car. All 1.9's but this one seems to be the odd one out. I was feeling that that would be the consensus. Does the bottom end fair well after valve strike? While apart...what is some of the first "upgrade" mod's I should entertain?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
about to put an ALH in my 05 golf...aside from the engine with accessories you need the complete engine bay harness all the way to the plenum "rainbow" connectors, ecm with bracket, fuel filter to pump hoses, high and low AC lines, power steering pressure line (may need the rack return line also and lower rad hose may be different) turbo to lower intercooler hose, intake to upper intercooler hose.... mounts are the same ... probably some other items i'll come across in the swap....i'll start a thread and post my findings as i encounter them

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
So if I bought the damaged jetta for $1000 ...It would come with all that...and Id be money ahead?
i prefer ALH over the BEW... if you're not averse to work it seems like a good option... if you don't want to do extra wiring for the pd lift pump you can swap in the 02' sending unit

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
about to put an ALH in my 05 golf...aside from the engine with accessories you need the complete engine bay harness all the way to the plenum "rainbow" connectors, ecm with bracket, fuel filter to pump hoses, high and low AC lines, power steering pressure line (may need the rack return line also and lower rad hose may be different) turbo to lower intercooler hose, intake to upper intercooler hose.... mounts are the same ... probably some other items i'll come across in the swap....i'll start a thread and post my findings as i encounter them
Technically that is not legal of course (older engine in a newer car) - but most places won't check. Now that diesels are scanned for emissions in many places - I'm guessing that it would get flagged for the ECU vin not matching the vehicle VIN (something that is checked here in NY from around 04 up?)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Technically that is not legal of course (older engine in a newer car) - but most places won't check. Now that diesels are scanned for emissions in many places - I'm guessing that it would get flagged for the ECU vin not matching the vehicle VIN (something that is checked here in NY from around 04 up?)
not in NC, safety inspection only for diesels, car never gets plugged in

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
not in NC, safety inspection only for diesels, car never gets plugged in
Gotcha - NY has been scanning light duty diesels for about 5 years now (gassers since 96)? Maybe a little longer. Cars that support VIN in the ECU have to match the vehicle VIN to prevent simply plugging in a different car to get a 'pass'. I know of at least one car dealership that did that.

I'm just happy that my rocketchip tuned Jetta with EGR delete still passes the test. I have "n/a" for EGR, but everything else pasees readiness testing.

Killerkaw

TDI
05 golf
I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the engine I've got, but I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate manual that covers his motor even the Bentley doesn't specifically State the bew engine

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
I've decided to go ahead and rebuild the engine I've got, but I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate manual that covers his motor even the Bentley doesn't specifically State the bew engine
even if the manual does not cover rebuilding the BEW specifically it will share many of the same procedures as the ALH... one problem with the Bentley manuals is that a lot of them rely on previous foundational knowledge and they won't specifically cover every procedure for every car or every system

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
My Bentley covers 1.9L TDI and PD diesels, 99 to 05.
Bentley Stock# VG05
ISBN-13: 978-0-8376-1251-5