How to Rebuild Bosch Starter (SR0408X) 0 001 125 012

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
The bushings are all pretty easy to get out except one of them which would take a tap or similar to thread into the old one then extract.

Brake grease should work good I believe,beter than bearing grease for sure. I was thinking of using high temp anti-seize the next time around.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Before I forget, on the armature where the brushes ride they use to undercut between the 'tabs' the brushes ride on. (goes back to the 70's, been a while :) )
Don't know actual specs for the bushing clearance but if they were real bad the armature would drag on the windings and get scratched up. Slow cranking in hot weather for some reason.
Try the brake grease, can't see it harming anything.
Maybe put a bit of the grease in an old plastic bag, put it in the freezer over night.
If it's not frozen it should be ok.
Don't tell your wife I said to use the freezer, I'll deny it. :)
My girlfriend was confused when I put a bad hard drive in the freezer trying to recover data. :D

dieselnuts

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 JETTA, 2002 JETTA 2003 JETTA
I have one SR0408X that spun and destroyed the front seal and bushing. I found the bushing but cant find a seal. Does anyone know where to get one?
I'm wrong. I did not find the bushing. I need the bushing and seal too.

Last edited:

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
I have one SR0408X that spun and destroyed the front seal and bushing. I found the bushing but cant find a seal. Does anyone know where to get one?
I'm wrong. I did not find the bushing. I need the bushing and seal too.
I'm not sure where to source one at, do you have dimensions? ID/OD/Depth?

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
Probably metric:

ID- 1.110 (28mm)
OD-1.492 (38mm)
Depth- 0.112 (3mm)

I wasn't able to source anything, you might need to buy a brass core and have a sleeve bushing machined. The only other option is call a starter rebuild shop and see if they have one.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
A local rebuilder should be able to help.
I've used one in the past. (far past)

ihredneck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
The bushings are all pretty easy to get out except one of them which would take a tap or similar to thread into the old one then extract.

Brake grease should work good I believe,beter than bearing grease for sure. I was thinking of using high temp anti-seize the next time around.
Update:

I tried anti-seize because high temp grease didn't cut it and the noise came back. The anti-seize didn't work long either. Next up, brake grease.