suggestions...

rcmac

TDI
none...at the moment
I'm a new guy to the site and read the newbie to this forum. However, I'm in the market for a TDI and was wondering which year would be an overall good year to have? I'm not looking to make an abundance amount of power.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm not usually one to point newcomers to the search button, but in this case it may be prudent. There are literally thousands of these threads. Just search 'best year' and you will find more information than you can digest in a month.

Each year has the good and the bad, so it really comes down to your preference.

edit - man I tried to do a quick search and find a nice thread for you but couldn't find one... maybe my advice was bad! :)

Last edited:

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Gonna hear lots of different thoughts, and I'm not necessarily the most experienced to answer.

However, need more to go on: What is your budget? What do you value (reliability, fuel efficiency, performance, comfort, etc). Would you want to run on Biodiesel?

All these nuances, once answered, would determine the best used model.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I'm a new guy to the site and read the newbie to this forum. However, I'm in the market for a TDI and was wondering which year would be an overall good year to have? I'm not looking to make an abundance amount of power.
Easy question; the newest one you can afford.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
do you prefer auto or stick tranny. that might determine a cut-off date for you as some of the older ones many consider as problematic auto transmissions. but as said before.....budget means everything. do you have $2000 to spend or $20,000 to spend. do you work on your own cars or take your cars to a shop for everything?