EGR block off EGT long probe install issue.

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
I recently installed newsouth boost and pryo on the column for my tdi everything went well soldered everything together the gauges work well and dim with factory dimmer, fused and whatnot. My egt gauge lights up fine and does a sweep but im not reading temperature. its a 600-2200 range gauge. The long probe the kit came with only goes in a few inches before hitting the bend of the manifold where EGR used to hook up leaving quite a bit of probe sticking out, figuring thats my issue, am i able to bend this probe to go past that part so its further into the manifold or is there another probe im supposed to use? thanks.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Not sure about the Newsouth ones but the McNally gauges, they come w/ a 4" long probe IIRC and people do bend them slightly to get them all the way in there. Common practice is to remove the exhaust manifold to drill and tap it all the way over at one end. YMMV.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The EGR port will not give you the accurate temperature that you need to know.
Bite the bullet and drill and tap near the turbo impeller. It can be done on the car.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Ah so sad that the MyCruiseAgent option no drill EGR is gone. He provided a rather long thermocouple and bending directions to get it right on top of the turbo inlet. Remove the EGR tube and mount it there. I have this is my car and I love it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Lots of people bend the probes a bit to get them where the want the end to be; let me say bend it very gently or it may not work when you are finished. I apparently kinked mine too severely and it does not work any longer. The other option is to drill another hole in the EGR cover plate already at the "correct" angle. You can always screw a plug into the original hole.

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
Lots of people bend the probes a bit to get them where the want the end to be; let me say bend it very gently or it may not work when you are finished. I apparently kinked mine too severely and it does not work any longer. The other option is to drill another hole in the EGR cover plate already at the "correct" angle. You can always screw a plug into the original hole.
Alright i kinda figured its been done before just making sure, i know there are many types of probes but i think these are basically just like thermistors .im gonna carefully try to bend it at the correct angle, i thought about that as well. If need be i could drill the block off plate open more at an angle and weld the bung the probe came with into it and then it would thread in at a angle.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
With your ability to weld a new bung in the plate, drilling a new angle and fixing the issue should be simple for you to do; that way you can use a long probe to get as close to the input of the turbo as is possible.

Cburb88

TDI
02 GLS
With your ability to weld a new bung in the plate, drilling a new angle and fixing the issue should be simple for you to do; that way you can use a long probe to get as close to the input of the turbo as is possible.
Yea thats true, all id really need is an angle measurement and weld it in, only issue at that point would be the clearance trying to take the probe in and out since the angle puts it into the firewall more but it might not be that bad.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I have the McNally set up. I first installed it in the EGR exhaust port as discussed above. I did in fact bend the probe so that it was not touching the side of the manifold. The temps shown on the gauge always seemed low.... very seldom above 700 to 800 F.

I removed the manifold, drilled and tapped for installing the probe right above the Turbo. That location provides much more accurate temps .... I've seen slightly over 1100 F.

Below is a pic before finishing the job. The washer is a heat shield (probably not necessary) The red pieces are part of the left side motor mount bracken. I did some reinforcement while in there, thus the weld without paint.

Below, the manifold bolted to the ALH in my Vanagon. As you can see, I also installed a piece of scrap aluminum for a heat shield.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Andy's experience closely mirrors my own.
I was using an EGR mounted EGT probe and thought I was getting useful information.
When I finally repositioned to the turbo inlet, the measured temp went up 500 F,
but more importantly the response became nearly instantaneous. Just sayin'.;)