A3 Fuel Economy?

metzger

TDI
01 Jetta, 10 A3, 14 IS350F
I'm considering an eventual replacement for my 2001 Jetta TDI and would love to pick up an Audi A3 TDI, but I've been seeing some pretty low MPG numbers out there.

I drive 150 miles roundtrip on the interstate at 70-75mph every day for work and am generally in the ~50mpg range in my Jetta. I'm trying to understand what kind of numbers an A3 would achieve on this drive. Seems like a large number of people are reporting under 40mpg so I had kind of dismissed the option, however I see the same thing with newer Jettas yet have noticed a small number of people in the ~50mpg range with them as well. What does it take to get these numbers out of a newer TDI car and can the A3 pull it off as well?

Basically I'm looking at either the A3 or a Lexus CT200h. From what I've seen, the A3 doesn't really outperform the EPA ratings while the CT200 does. I'd rather have the Audi so I'm hoping I'm wrong. Any input?

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Yes you are right the A3 seems to be a few mpg behind the Jetta for some reason that I have yet to figure out. Gearing maybe?

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've been hoping for an AWD A3 TDI, but alas, the A3 TDI is FWD only.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The A3 is in length right between the Golf and the Sportwagon, but its fuel economy seems to be more in line with the wagon: http://www.fuelly.com/car/audi/a3?engineconfig_id=13154&bodystyleconfig_id=5&submodel_id=. 37.something for the 2011 models (the year with the best statistics).
If you look up the Golf, it gets 39.something for 2013 (not enough stats for 2011 and 2012, in my opinion), and the wagon also posts 37.something mpg for the 2012 and 2011 models.

Maybe next year's model with the MQB ('modularer querbaukasten') engine will have slightly better mpg, due to the switch in NOx technology to adblue?
And why not get the slightly larger Sportwagon?

Last edited:

metzger

TDI
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm just spoiled by the MKIV's numbers, not sure how I can move from this car. I'm interested in the Audi mostly just because it's an Audi. I prefer the styling and I love the panoramic sunroof. I don't know how interested I am in any of them though without the fuel economy that I'm used to. I guess those days are just gone due to added weight and restrictions until the technology improves.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
You can get 50ish in a CR Golf or Jetta TDI, but you will likely need to work a little at it. I drive mine like I stole it; ~125 mile round trip per day for my commute and I average about 42 without any trouble.

A Sportwagen would meet your desires for pano roof, etc, and should do almost as well as the Golf.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
You can get 50ish in a CR Golf or Jetta TDI, but you will likely need to work a little at it. I drive mine like I stole it; ~125 mile round trip per day for my commute and I average about 42 without any trouble.

A Sportwagen would meet your desires for pano roof, etc, and should do almost as well as the Golf.
But the Audi only comes with dsg so that drops it a few MPG also.

Metzger if you're stuck on 50 MPG you might have to look at golfs or Jettas with a manual. If it doesn't get 50 stock then it might with Malone tune and deletes.

metzger

TDI

Metzger if you're stuck on 50 MPG you might have to look at golfs or Jettas with a manual. If it doesn't get 50 stock then it might with Malone tune and deletes.
I would be happy with mid-upper 40s.... realistically I'm around 48 daily, but have seen mid-50s on business trips. Not sure if an A3 with a tune would do 45+ at 70mph. Do you feel like yours is capable of that?

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
+1

I think the issue is the DSG. With a highway commute you are going to take a hit. I'd go with a Golf, Jetta or JSW with a 6-speed. I think you can plan on 45 MPG or higher with that commute. The DSG takes a hit on the highway because the top gear isn't as tall.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I understand wanting the best possible fuel milage, but I think one needs to consider the scale of possible savings relative to the investment in the car.
Going from say 40 mpg to 44 mpg is a 10% difference on an already relatively small annual fuel bill. 20k miles per year at 40mpg and $3/gallon translates to $1500/year, 44 mpg saves you $136 of that.
Just a point to consider.

metzger

TDI
I understand wanting the best possible fuel milage, but I think one needs to consider the scale of possible savings relative to the investment in the car.
Going from say 40 mpg to 44 mpg is a 10% difference on an already relatively small annual fuel bill. 20k miles per year at 40mpg and $3/gallon translates to $1500/year, 44 mpg saves you $136 of that.
Just a point to consider.
I drive a minimum of 40,000 miles a year and used to drive sports cars and lifted 4x4s that got about 20mpg. There were years that I probably spent $8,000 on fuel. My best was about $6,000 when I was driving a Lexus IS250 that got around 28mpg. That's down to about $3,000/yr at this point and I'd like to keep it that way. Going from my ~48mpg average down to 40mpg wouldn't be a HUGE hit, but it would be about $60/mo at last years diesel prices.

metzger

TDI
How many miles on your mk4?

Maybe consider just buying another low mile mk4?
Just 228k so it's got some life left in it, but with the amount that I drive it adds up quickly. Just looking at my future options. Maybe it will last me until the cheaper Tesla comes out.

metzger

TDI
How many miles on your mk4?

Maybe consider just buying another low mile mk4?

Just noticed your TDI Ranger thread.... now that's what I could really use. I'd take 40mpg if I could eliminate the need for the F150 sitting in my driveway. :p

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Just 228k so it's got some life left in it, but with the amount that I drive it adds up quickly. Just looking at my future options. Maybe it will last me until the cheaper Tesla comes out.
Definitely have a while to weigh your options as you have at least 6 years before you hit 500k. Even then if you keep it maintained and the body is intact you can keep on motoring along.
Just noticed your TDI Ranger thread.... now that's what I could really use. I'd take 40mpg if I could eliminate the need for the F150 sitting in my driveway. :p
:):):)

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I drive a minimum of 40,000 miles a year and used to drive sports cars and lifted 4x4s that got about 20mpg. There were years that I probably spent $8,000 on fuel. My best was about $6,000 when I was driving a Lexus IS250 that got around 28mpg. That's down to about $3,000/yr at this point and I'd like to keep it that way. Going from my ~48mpg average down to 40mpg wouldn't be a HUGE hit, but it would be about $60/mo at last years diesel prices.
What do you do for work? Also where in Ky are you from? I'm in Bowling Green :)

metzger

TDI
What do you do for work? Also where in Ky are you from? I'm in Bowling Green :)
I live in Louisville and work at Toyota in Erlanger and Georgetown.

What you need to do is import an Audi A2 diesel from Europe.

80 mpg.
I don't know if I could be seen in one of those. :p

A 2010 A3 TDI popped up for sale locally. White, Premuim S-Line. I'm gonna go check it out and see what I think about them at least. Not really trying to replace the Jetta right now, but it's always fun to shop around.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I live in Louisville and work at Toyota in Erlanger and Georgetown.

I don't know if I could be seen in one of those. :p

A 2010 A3 TDI popped up for sale locally. White, Premuim S-Line. I'm gonna go check it out and see what I think about them at least. Not really trying to replace the Jetta right now, but it's always fun to shop around.
Ah yes that is a drive! White is awesome! The one color I wished we had over ours (black)

metzger

TDI
Ah yes that is a drive! White is awesome! The one color I wished we had over ours (black)
We went and looked at it after hours last night and the wife wants me to get it haha. I'm still a little concerned about taking a hit on mileage, but it's such a nice looking car.

Have you had your A3 on a long interstate drive to gauge what it's capable of with your tune?

Also, I've looked into some issues, but anything to pay particular attention to? This one is nearing 100k miles.

Last edited:

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
We went and looked at it after hours last night and the wife wants me to get it haha. I'm still a little concerned about taking a hit on mileage, but it's such a nice looking car.

Have you had your A3 on a long interstate drive to gauge what it's capable of with your tune?

Also, I've looked into some issues, but anything to pay particular attention to? This one is nearing 100k miles.
We have and those all highway tanks netted 43.1-45.6

I know it has more in it though as I have a very heavy foot, me and my wife both do not cruise on the highway less than 77 I'd say.

Only thing we've done on the car other than normal maintenance is both front wheel bearings. It's up to 148k miles now. Once deleted the only thing that scares me about the car is the CR fuel pump problem. But hopefully with regular fuel filter changes and buying quality Diesel it will never be an issue

metzger

TDI
I know it has more in it though as I have a very heavy foot, me and my wife both do not cruise on the highway less than 77 I'd say.
Only thing we've done on the car other than normal maintenance is both front wheel bearings. It's up to 148k miles now. Once deleted the only thing that scares me about the car is the CR fuel pump problem. But hopefully with regular fuel filter changes and buying quality Diesel it will never be an issue
I could live with that.

As far as the fuel pump, have costs gone down on having that issue worked out? I know they were charging $6k plus a few years ago to replace everything and this car will be out of warranty.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
I could live with that.

As far as the fuel pump, have costs gone down on having that issue worked out? I know they were charging $6k plus a few years ago to replace everything and this car will be out of warranty.
I'd say you would have no problem beating our mileage especially with your long commute.

Also I know VW has been very good about replacing the fuel system when they fail. A buddy of mine is a tech in Nashville and he told me the other day they replaced the fuel system on an 09 Jetta with 230k! So we're probably good. We also save all receipts to prove we only fuel at BP, Shell and chevron

metzger

TDI
Thanks for the info! You've been quite helpful.

Turns out I know the sales manager of the dealership that has this A3 so we're gonna see what we can work out.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Thanks for the info! You've been quite helpful.

Turns out I know the sales manager of the dealership that has this A3 so we're gonna see what we can work out.
No problem! Keep us posted I know I'd like to see your Fuelly numbers since your commute is pretty much ideal for mileage! Well I-71 is kind of mountainous I guess but it would be nice to compare your 01 Jetta to the A3 ;)

Also what speed are you cruising to average your 47.5?

Last edited:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT

How are you tracking that mileage? If your not using "miles/gallons" and just going by the dream meter, I doubt you're actually achieving that. The best I've gotten was 42mpg, all highway. I typically average 38, and have recorded over 30k miles through fuelly (picked up with 7200, so only missing a few miles as I'm at 40k atm) . This is driving 75 on the highway, LRR casings, and otherwise stock. My dream meter will consistently state 40+ mpg, its about 4-5mpg off real world numbers

To the OP...The reason for the A3 TDI's lower mileage comes down to drag coefficient (larger front surface area), DSG only (but same as VW DSGs) and it's heavier than the JSW. But until the 2015 JSW (or golf variant depending on how they name it) comes to N/A, its still the best looking car TDI VAG makes.

Last edited: