2012 Passat SEL TDI

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
From the Chicago Auto Show, I'm not crazy about it, I think ours is better. I forgot to get a shot of the interior but if you notice how the car looks like a Jetta, well the interior does too.

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Every time I see a brand new Jetta or this Passat, I immediately think 'suitcase'. Not sure, but the styling reminds me of a suitcase. I don't really want to drive a suitcase. No disrespect to those who have or like them-- different strokes.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
I'm ok w/ it. I just wish HID lighting was on the SEL. I assume the build shown has all available options included. Any guesses as to if they'll be available?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I'm ok w/ it. I just wish HID lighting was on the SEL. I assume the build shown has all available options included. Any guesses as to if they'll be available?
At the least, I wish they had projector headlamps, that could be converted.
MPGs look good- better than our 05 Passats. Hopefully a wagon will follow in a year or two. Although many of us don't like the down market move, I think VW is displaying a better understanding of the US market.

Dean

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI(Sold)
China's got mules with the reflector and the projector headlamps. So hopefully HID's are on their way.

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
None thanks to dieselgate
Only a few things missing right now.

A wagon, and 4Motion on said same wagon.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Good fotos. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a LOT of car for twenty grand!

Sloppy Snood

Veteran Member
TDI
Passsat
No thanks. Honda Accord looks better every day.

Wonder if VW has already released their "gear driven oil pump balance shaft assembly" for this one?

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
I bet the car shown is a 30k car.

"Look at this fully loaded car with a bunch of standard features on this upscale trim line. However, you can get one with a steering wheel and drivers seat for 20k."

Reminds me of the elusive new Jetta for $15999.

Too bad they didn't show the MSRP of the one shown.

Come on, any other car makers bringing diesels to the American masses soon? Please?? Honda Pilot diesel, hint, hint...

Good fotos. Thanks for sharing.

Looks like a LOT of car for twenty grand!

Alchemy

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and did anyone else notice how a well placed "E" would look in the following?

TDI SEL

TDIeSEL

I see an aftermarket already!

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
I could be talked into Leasing one. But done with VW design/quality issues. I want a car where I can turn over the keys when they find the <insert part> issue that is a $5k replacement. Residual value should be great, low payments. A $179 lease would move so many of these it would cannibalize the entire lineup and the US market.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
No thanks. Honda Accord looks better every day.

Wonder if VW has already released their "gear driven oil pump balance shaft assembly" for this one?
Have you driven a Honda in the last few years ?????????????????? I've been stuck driving a 05 Accord for the last year , I hate driving that thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The things drives worse than a late 80s Olds !!! Numb steering , hapless performance , and consumption that makes me want to walk ........

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Oh, and did anyone else notice how a well placed "E" would look in the following?

TDI SEL

TDIeSEL

I see an aftermarket already!
Speaking of clever badges, I saw a TDI here in the Denver metro area, where they got an extra "JE" from a Jetta, and turned their JETTA TDI into a JETTA JEDI. Wish I'd thought of that first.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
I like the looks of mine better but if I found myself without it (horrible accident) then I think I could live with it.

My wife tends to be an accident magnet. I wonder if she will be driving my car anytime soon.....

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I love this quote....

"Who needs a fancy lifter doohickey when there's nothing under there a driver can fuss with anyway?"

I guess we now know who their target market is :rolleyes:

VW is really selling the American market down the river... I wonder if BMW is cutting these corners too? Seems like Ford and GM have better alternatives to "German" engineering these days.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They went back to what they did with the B3 and B4 Passats; they based it on the A-segment car, just made it larger, but a little less fanciful. It is not a bad looking car, really. Reminds me of the B4 in its interior roominess, really.

It will be about $5k more than a similar-powered Jetta sedan, and use the same engines, save for no base 2.0L engine for the Passat. They will probably sell better than the outgoing model. Lets be happy the diesel is once again on the option list! :)

And BTW, the dealers already have some pricing info... a brand new 2012 Passat TDI with an automatic transmission and some options is about what my 'fully loaded' 2004 Passat TDI sold for 5 years ago, so that is not a bad price really. Look for a $20k to $32k pricing on them. 2.5L 5cyl gas, 2.0L 4cyl diesel, and 3.6L 6cyl gas engines. The TDI will (like the Jetta) be forced into the mid to higher trim levels, as we expected. So no, you won't be getting a diesel Passat for 20 grand, just like you won't get a diesel Jetta for 16.

I can tell you after sitting in them, the interior is without a doubt a little less 'substantial' feeling than my B5, but honestly the outgoing Passat felt cheaper to me as well, so.... But it still does not feel like a "cheap" car. Let's just hope the Yankees screw it together properly! :)

Last edited:

Keyser_Soze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS 2005 Blue Graphite w/ Beige Leather
Seriously.... is that a hood prop:eek: I guess they cut costs... what else did they skimp on.....

They also went cheap on the trunk lid, it's got springs instead of shocks, but that's an improvement considering how fast those shocks go.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
Zoom Zoom

Revealed today at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, Mazda has confirmed that the SkyActiv-equipped Mazda3 will arrive at dealers in the U.S. and Canada this Fall. In addition, a diesel SkyActiv engine will be available a year later, with Mazda joining Volkswagen as the only non-premium automaker to offer a diesel in a passenger car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...fuel-economy-improvement-diesels-in-2012.html

As a follow-up to SKY-G and SKY-Drive, Yamanouchi added, "We plan to launch the SKY-D engine mated to Sky-Drive in the U.S. in 2012." Mazda plans to incorporate the extremely fuel-efficient SKY-D engine into its next-generation mid-sized diesel car, allowing highway fuel economy of up to 43 miles per gallon - which is better than today's mid-sized hybrids - and a 20-percent improvement in fuel efficiency over Mazda's current 2.2-liter diesel. When launched in the U.S., SKY-D will meet Tier 2 BIN 5 regulations, one of the toughest emissions standards in the world. Because of Mazda's proprietary catalyst technology, SKY-D does not require urea after-treatment to meet the strict North American emissions standards.
http://www.mazdausamedia.com/conten...nd-diesel-powertrains-us-market-2011-and-2012

Honda bailed on their diesel over here awhile ago.:mad:

Come on, any other car makers bringing diesels to the American masses soon? Please?? Honda Pilot diesel, hint, hint...

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They also went cheap on the trunk lid, it's got springs instead of shocks, but that's an improvement considering how fast those shocks go.

Exactly, and I can tell you 20 years from now, both that hood prop and those trunk hinge/springs will still be 100% functional, just like they are on my 20 year old Jetta. Sometimes the 'cheap' stuff just, well, works. :cool:
FWIW, my 20 year old Jetta's manual door locks, manual windows, manual sunroof all work the same as they did when it left the factory, too. Heck, so do its rear drum brakes! :eek:. And its original ignition switch, the rear window defogger, it all works! Yes, it's true, Volkswagen did at one time make cars that did not break! :p So if they can return to that same level of car, but keep some of the good stuff (like the 140hp TDI engine!) then so be it! :D

one2many

TDI
14 Q5, 05 Passat
Tiguan's have hood props too, and the door hinges are simplified with use of check straps again.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
hood must be lighter and thiner, ever try lifting a b5 hood without strut attached?