05' BEW Jetta PD

Reubine

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed
05' BEW Jetta PD Fuel Issues?

I have an '05 BEW PD car with 217k. I parked the car late one night and it was very low on fuel and the low fuel light was on. I went out the next morning to start the car and head to get fuel and it wouldn't start. Didn't even hint to even want to try and start. So i'm not sure if i actually ran it out of fuel or not. I pulled the lines off right after the fuel filter and turned the key to run and no fuel came out. So long story short I put fuel in the car with a can and finally have fuel at the lines but the car still won't start. I have cranked on the car and have a full charge on the battery and it turns it over pretty fast but it doesn't even act like it wants to start. I did get a PO727 Engine Speed Code, which i'm assuming is from me cranking on it and it not starting. Does anybody have any other advice on what my issue could be. The tach doesn't move when i crank on it. Thanks again.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
When you turn the key(without cranking) do you hear the whirr of the in-tank fuel pump turning on? It's momentary but it should be audible (lifting the rear seat helps). My lift pump died just short of 250K so you are in the range for lift pump failure. Without the lift pump the tandem pump has to do the work and it's not very good at pulling fuel through the filter. If it loses prime it's not going to have what it takes to fuel the injectors, especially if the fuel filter hasn't been changed on schedule.

Pull the supply line off the inlet side of the filter, hold it in a container and have someone turn the key. It should be a strong stream. if it's not or its intermittent replace the pump. Personally I would replace it anyway because of its age and the miles.

Reubine

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed
The fuel pump does kick on for a couple of seconds when I turn the key on. I do have fuel at the inlet of the filter and after the filter. The filter is only about 2 months old. I may pull the back seat and check the pump.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I would guess you have a bad crank position sensor. If it was running when you parked it, there should be enough fuel to start it - even if it was for a brief couple of seconds. When my CPS failed, it acted exactly like this - odd kinda fast cranking (almost like broken timing belt) and a 0727 OBDII code.

You may also have a bad in-tank pump but if it's the original design, it'll run on just the tandem pump.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Check fuel pressure on the test port at the tandem pump while cranking. Should see 10psi. I usually pull glow plugs and add battery charger. Use a 100psi fuel gage and watch it idling. You can use the inlet fuel fitting off of alh 10mm pump, and some 5/16 hydraulic line. Btw when cranking it fast w/ glow plugs removed, you should see fuel spraying out in clouds. Caution w/ open flames and do not breath.

Clear faults and see if they come back if so start digging thru electrical stuff, wires and connectors.

Jeff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybK1yJSd_V8

Reubine

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed
Can anybody verify that I should see the tach moving when I'm cranking on it?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
U can watch Rpms in vagcom while starting. I'll go unhook injector harness and check the tach reference on the dash during cranking for you later. Jeff

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I remember something about a 109 relay :-/
Not sure if our bew's have one?
No. OP, sounds like you've got a bad CPS (Which has also been mentioned by someone else)

Also that code isn't because the car didn't start... Do a search.

Last edited:

Reubine

TDI
'02 Jetta TDI, 5 Speed
Thanks for the help guys it ended up being that the Crank position sensor wires were broke at the connector. It fired right up after i replaced the sensor. Thanks again!