Best Tuner

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
is the op asking what the best tune for improved MPG would be?
or is he asking for the best tune?

the good ones all cost about the same

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The ALH has been around for quite a while and many tuners know exactly what it can do. It can be tuned for maximum power, or it can be tuned for maximum efficiency (mileage). You also have a choice between "off-the-shelf" tunes or custom tuning. RocketChip (Jeff), or Malone Tuning (Mark), or VWMikel can all do excellent tunes for this engine (I'm sure I am also leaving out other excellent tuners). The OP really has to decide exactly what he wants and check with all tuners for prices. A good tune will probably cost about the same no matter who he buys it from. A custom tune will take hours of testing to get it right, while an off-the-shelf tune is quicker (therefore probably cheaper), but probably not as good.

In other words, the OP is asking a complex question - and there are almost never simple answers to complex questions (despite what our politicians might want us to believe). There are decisions to be made about goals, budget, and time. Also, what tuners might be near by for custom tuning.

Have Fun!

Don

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
[ in alphabetical order ] The main tuners :

F1 Tuning

kermaTDI

Malone Tuning

Rocketchip

VWmikel

Now on to mileage: My opinion is that for an ALH , AHU , 1Z motor ...MPG is improved more by using larger quality nozzles with proper calibration . Not so much by tuning. [ Other tuners or owners may have a different opinion ]

Injector Calibration :

Drivbiwire

Frank06

kermaTDI

On PD engines, tuning can improve MPG .. but on VE motors the tune may not improve MPG's but normally does not hurt MPG's until you drive the car like you stole it!

All the best
Paul

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
My ALH, along with most others, will get 5-10% better mileage with the OEM injectors and a tune... The results are better with larger injectors, but either upgrade will help mpg's if you keep your foot out of it.. Even my high output ALH (200+whp) will still get better than stock mileage on a road trip..

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
My ALH, along with most others, will get 5-10% better mileage with the OEM injectors and a tune... The results are better with larger injectors, but either upgrade will help mpg's if you keep your foot out of it.. Even my high output ALH (200+whp) will still get better than stock mileage on a road trip..
Increased MPG's from tuning is always a good thing! The issue is whether you can promise this ....

With correct injector calibration and the right nozzle increased MPG's are predictable, and when tuning adds more MPG's ; that's a beautiful thing!:D