Volkswagen's Clean Air Act violations on 2009+ TDIs spark huge recall, investigations

Status
Not open for further replies.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
How about AUDI's? You know, the brother from the high class mother.
Audi invented this whole dam cheat crapolaa back in 1999 but put it on the shelf.

then mother audi gave-sold-what ever the devise to mother vw

... thinking it is a german culture issue

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
I completely disagree. You think Takata airbags only affect VW.... try again. I am a VW owner, and a happy one at that, and a single father of an 8 year-old, I have full custody.

People are just looking for a hand out from all of this. It clearly shows the workings of this country and how everyone needs to have their panties in a bunch about something and get something out of someone for nothing.

Diesel-gate is a joke. Emissions standards are a joke and not based on any empirical science, I work in this field. I applaud VW for taking a chance and saying "to hell with the EPA and CARB" and selling me this bad ass family car. Good Luck EPA getting me to change this car to meet your un-thought-out regulations. My car is staying perfect just the way it is. Still a happy customer at 90,xxx non-maintenance miles and thanks for the free money in the Goodwill Package, you shouldn't have.
Another member joining in September 2015 hits the ignore bucket.... THUD...

Lodi781

TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4 dr
Who's going to be the first to complain that $5000 isn't enough?

I'll be, that's a freakin joke. They should buy back the cars.I don't give a sh!? what people think of me. That is ridiculous. I never wanted a cash settlement. I wanted them to buy the car back.

MichVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW DSG. 2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT

I will be.. $5000.00 plus a fix.. No deal for me. Neither of my vehicles will enter a VW dealership unless said dealership is buying them back.
:)

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Reuters is also reporting VW will offer buybacks to 500K US car owners as well as the 5K$. My guess it will be up to the owners choice. Buyback or 5K and a fix down the road. I doubt you will get both.

Cant wait on the microwave for popcorn I'm going straight to pretzels and beer. Cheers.
TDIintheLOU:)

source please

$5,000 and a "fix" might work for me ... after that, .. mine might-could-may be for sale

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I'll be, that's a freakin joke. They should buy back the cars.I don't give a sh!? what people think of me. That is ridiculous. I never wanted a cash settlement. I wanted them to buy the car back.

That's sort of how I feel.

I would accept the 5k, if the fix was proven to only slightly diminish performance, and I got a warranty extended out to say 120,000 on all engine/fueling/emissions components.

I don't see that being the case though.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I suspect VW and EPA were ready to make a settlement months ago, and after the obligatory theatrics, CARB is now ready to go along. But the real deal killers are probably the trial lawyers who have advertised huge windfall settlements and created unrealistic expectations in some gullible TDI owners. Having spent little so far to develop the case for trial, the trial lawyers could turn a profit on even a modest payoff from VW. But "My law firm got a thousand dollars each for VW owners" does not make great news for them or persuasive future ad spots, So the trial lawyers may very well delay for a settlement that saves face for them.
If VW, EPA, CARB, etc. have reached a settlement that the judge feels is fair, I don't think there's any way the judge will allow the CAS lawyers to delay.

CEaton

TDI
2014 VW Sportwagen TDI DSG
Reuters is also reporting VW will offer buybacks to 500K US car owners as well as the 5K$. My guess it will be up to the owners choice. Buyback or 5K and a fix down the road. I doubt you will get both.
Cant wait on the microwave for popcorn I'm going straight to pretzels and beer. Cheers.

This makes some sense and I'm hopeful that you're right...VW says, we have an approved fix, but it needs some more testing and needs some tweeking for mass production and planning, so, here is $5,000 for you to hang in there, agreeing to a fix within x amount of months/years, pays Epa a fine......

Or, here's your buyback if you don't want to wait, whatever that looks like, we will see.

As any that followed my story knows, I want the hell out of my car, intercooler icing and HPFP grenade this year(took over a month to get VW to fix under warranty) on my '14 JSW with 30k miles. I will be first in line for a buyback, I'll waive whatever, just let me walk away from this thing.

I have a 6 yr low interest loan, I expected to hold on to this thing long enough not to worry about the depreciation curve, but I've lost all trust in the reliability of this car, and chastise me if you will, but I'm upset about the emissions cheating, so I want out, and I want out now. I've already picked out my car's replacement and set up a deal, just waiting for the VW to be out of my life to pull the trigger.

TDIintheLOU

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat SEL
you have a Passat, what sort of "hacking" do you think you'd face to make it compliant?
those with LNT are in a different world.
My Passat for one has a open recall for the possibility of fires due to wiring connectors under the vehicle. This only after the last ECU flash update 7/15 that has the vehicle in regins 4 or 5 times a day. When the temperature outside hits 80 degrees you can fry eggs on the pavement below the car. The last update is overworking a undersized system and is cooking everything under the car that you can feel thru the floor mats.

This car is toast in more ways than one.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
My Passat for one has a open recall for the possibility of fires due to wiring connectors under the vehicle. This only after the last ECU flash update 7/15 that has the vehicle in regins 4 or 5 times a day. When the temperature outside hits 80 degrees you can fry eggs on the pavement below the car. The last update is overworking a undersized system and is cooking everything under the car that you can feel thru the floor mats.
This car is toast in more ways than one.
No inflater recall as well?

Mine has all three open as of right now lol

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW JETTA TDI, BLACK EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AND 6SPD MANUAL
I'll complain!! I would rather have a buyback or more money, emissions fixed and warranty extended.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If VW, EPA, CARB, etc. have reached a settlement that the judge feels is fair, I don't think there's any way the judge will allow the CAS lawyers to delay.
Yup. The whole point of this was to reach a fair/equitable compromise. If what's being reported in the news at the moment is accurate...it's safe to say that is how the judge would look at it.

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I would take the $5000 as long as its not attached to getting the car "FIXED". I would take that money do a timing belt, DPF delete, malone stage 2 a CP3 fuel pump and drive it until the wheels fall off.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
I would take the $5000 as long as its not attached to getting the car "FIXED". I would take that money do a timing belt, DPF delete, malone stage 2 a CP3 fuel pump and drive it until the wheels fall off.

That amount of money will have stipulations attached to it, I'd almost guarantee it. The days of Good Will dollars has passed.

Galo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta 6mt, Malone Stage I, Goals
WIN!!!!!
Same here -and I would have money left over for a better rear sway bar, new shocks, OE sport springs and maybe a few more fun bits and pieces.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI

I could be wrong, but I read it as $5k to everyone. i.e. The $5k would be to head off the fraud/damages piece. The buyback or wait and get it fixed sounded like it was separate from the $5k. Who knows though. This is the news that we're talking about. They could have thrown an extra zero on the settlement amount and/or made it all up.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Please don't be condescending. If you have less car than you need and don't have the means to just buy a 2nd car, you're kind of screwed by VW. People's situations change. What if your wife says, "I'm having twins." and you already have 2 kids? Life happens.

Also, some of us have to deal not only with dieselgate but an airbag recall as well. The airbag recall is what changed my plan from "Keep driving it and see what happens even though 2 doors is annoying and it pollutes" to "I don't want to be killed in a fender bender. I'm a dad now. Time to buy another car".
Despite the sarcasm, I don't want this to end poorly for anyone.

I understand that this fiasco may be worse for some, depending on each individuals circumstances.

However, no amount of worrying, directing ire toward VW, the EPA, CARB, other members, goats, etc., in this forum, will have any affect on the outcome. A few deep breaths and a truckload of patience could benefit us all.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Wait, now Rueters is reporting buyback if all 500k cars
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL2N17N1JT

With the caveat of;

"Volkswagen may also offer to repair polluting diesel vehicles if U.S. regulators approve the fix as workable at a future date, the sources said. But it is not certain if those vehicles will be deemed fixable by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency"

Buying back 500,000 leaves the V6's out of the buy back equation. Perhaps the 5 grand and an eventual fix is aimed at those?

coers

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW JETTA TDI, BLACK EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR AND 6SPD MANUAL
Yea im seeing everyone effected would get the $5k then they could choose either buyback or get your car repaired. Either way I imagine we'll hear more details tomorrow. At least we're hearing some progress!!

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Yep I have that hand grenade as well. VW customer careless wrote back to me and said not to worry. There have been no reported deaths due to airbags in VW's. :eek: You cant make this stuff up. :rolleyes:

Did you see that article I posted about the 20 year old that got rear ended and it triggered his faulty inflator and killed him? ****'s insane!

kitarkus

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Another member joining in September 2015 hits the ignore bucket.... THUD...
Smart man.....hey ..... don't tell the rest of the forum.....but VW just called and offered me $5K, a 1955 restored microbus, and a full MSRP buy back. I really love my JSW but I am thinking of accepting VW's offer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.