2014 Grand Cherokee diesel and other thoughts

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I am poised to make the dreaded decisions

- put more $$$ into my Beetle TDI and run it up to 500k. I commute about 100 km per day, rain, wind, snow and reliability is becoming a bit of an issue. Would not mind moving up in size.

- put down the $$$ and get something I LIKE..like a 2011 Touareg TDI...or a 2007 V10 (with extended warranty)

- put down the $$$ and get something I kinda like but is definitely sensible, such as a 2012 Passat TDI...or a 2013 Beetle TDI

- buy something completely different...Cherokee diesel...used truck...

I like the current Cherokee lineup; decent driver and could be gorgeous with a V6 diesel. Opinions?

Last edited:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
2014 Grand Cherokee with CRD looks like a great Touareg competitor. Very similar and you can expect similar pricing. There are some pretty good discounts on new ones. :)

I vote for Passat TDI. Excellent long commute and road trip car. Handles great in the snow. If you don't end up liking it after a year, you'll still be able to sell it for a good amount as they seem to be holding their values pretty well.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
From what you gave us, I would say the Passat is by far the best bet (pity we don't get the wagon!!!). The Cherokee is new here, but this is hardly Fiat's first dance. No telling yet, though. The ToeRag V10 is NOT where I would go for reliability or economy - but sheeeeeiiiiittte you will never get more engine in an SUV (keep the NB for backup). The newer 3.0 T might be a good compromise, but I think a lot more bux than the Jeep. Great range of choices.

Used truck: not quite in the same frame of reference as the others. If you want to go there, hard to beat an '02 or so CTD for economy and reliability. Stay a million miles away from blue ovals and the DMax comes somewhere in the middle.